• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • Member No: 23907
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:12 PM

The guy in Vineland with the snow blower and decks on CL had a bunch of wheel weights, I'm not sure if they were Bolens or not but he had pile of them there. He had a ton of plastic weights in his truck the day I was there. Nearly all were 8" weights.

Can't you just fill the front wheels and hang some weight? I don't think I like the idea of having to deal with wheel weights everytime I have to set the tire pressure or pack the front bearings.

Weight is weight, I don't think I'd hold out for Bolens branded weights if I needed the machine now, what you need will no doubt turn up sooner or later. Depending on what front wheels you have, many other brand weights will work just fine, maybe even better.

I've seriously thought about casting my own weights out of lead, but the added weight would be far more than cast iron.

Something to think about too, the farther forward you mount weight to counterweight a rear attachment, the more effective it is. A simple bar mounted out front with the same 100lbs you would put on the wheels will counter balance a good deal more with the same weight. Most big tractors use either suitcase weights up front or a central ballast bar just ahead of the axle. My Case loader at work has a 500lb cast iron weight just under the radiator to counter balance the back hoe. There would be no way to put that kind of ballast in or on the front wheels, nor would it be as effective.

#17 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Plastic weights work fine but they crack easy in cold weather.

#18 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 07:35 PM

If you have an old metal coffee can and some lead you can make your self a nice heavy set.

Go to a junk yard and buy up a couple big rig batteries and knock them apart.Toss the lead in the coffee can and melt it down.You can put 2 heavy bolts in the lead while it's still liquid and drill out the center when it's cooled down to clear your hub.

2 Big rig batteries is more than enough Lead.You can pick them up pretty cheap.Alot cheaper than a set of Bolens 35lb weights and you can make them the same size but the Lead weighs more than Iron.

Edited by EricFromPa, February 23, 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#19 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 10:20 PM

i think i found some thanks for the ideas though

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens ht