- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chrisk OFFLINE  

• Member No: 27923
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 10:58 AM

what is everyone using for tires on their GT?

my yard is flat but very wet in spots, even if we had no rain for a month, i bet i can fine a wet spot - just curious what the best tire is and what everyone else is using?

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:07 AM

I have the factory tires on both of my tractors, all way round and chains on the one with the blade.

Edited by JRJ, February 20, 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:30 AM

If you have enough weight, turf tires save your yard and traction is not a problem.  If you have no weight, turf tires spin and scalp your yard. 

My personal favorite is turf tires and snow chains on my Gravely, but they will tear the yard if you aren't careful.

Ben W.

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:59 AM

My favorite combination is ags on the rear and ribbed on the front. If your careful with ag tires they won't damage your lawn and if you have steep hills or muddy areas they are a must.

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Last year I usd a 48" finish mower hanging off the back of my kubota, with turf's my rear end sould slide and i could loose traction pretty easy. When I upgraded to ag's it did much better. Now I don't loose traction nears as often but of course if I do it does more damage.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Well, you know what they say, opinion are like.... everyone has one hahaha

Some will say turfs are fine, but when they lose traction and spin, they tear up or I say "burn up" the grass bad.

Others will say turfs with chains, I dunno about grass cutting, but work great for snow and ice.

Other will say ags....I personally upgraded from turfs to ags on my Sears for garden work, but it's also my grass cutter. They may leave marks in the soft yard, but no divets or anything. I do alot of hilly terrain at my parents and a field, work great.

When they lose traction though, they will dig a hole and quick. I presonally like my ags for all around use.

Then comes the questions....so how are the Deestones ags or who likes the Carlisle ags, anyone use duros? etc, etc.

Also, don't pass over looking at a tire like the Carlisle All Trails or an ATV tire if they come in the size you want. I've read many people like the all trails are they are more aggressive than a turf, but not a full out lug tire ,kind the same as an all terrain on a truck, not a highway tread, but not a mud tire.

#7 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,748 Thanks
  • 1,393 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well, seems like a good excuse to have more than one tractor to me :D  Turfs with weights for around the house area, Cub 108. Turfs with chains and weights for pushing snow, Cub 122 or the 126(depending which one is together and running), everything else around here is bigger with ags and/or chains for snow work. Fence line cutter 2wd Cub 782 has ags and weights (picked up a snow blade for this but not mounted this year). For the rough fence-lines and steep sloping areas I bought my neighbors 21 hp diesel 4 wd Ventrac with ATV's all the way around this last fall (WOW does that thing cut) and it has a 3 point to boot. Still have my 16hp Mitsubishi for post holes and light brush hog work has ag's now, like Twostep's Kubota the turfs were worthless on that configuration of tractor for anything except very level work, and shoot I got several Gt's for that stuff (depending on which one is running and doesn't have a flat). As for brand, on my big tractors when replacing I looked for Titan or Goodyear (American made). With the smaller stuff I went with Carlisle because they were from the states too but alas I guess even that is changing :(

• TAHOE said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,670 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Last summer my regular mowing tractor died, so I used my Wheel Horse 654 that I use for snowplow duty.

The rear tires are loaded, but not the front.

I have very good luck with NOT spinning due to loss of traction.....I think if I filed the front tires that would help in the winter plowing, AND when I am mowing.

That is my 2 cents worth!

#9 schweitz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:06 PM

23 years ago I moved from Idaho (desert) to Oregon (rain forest) where we often mow every month of the year. Immediately saw the need for additional traction for my JD312 with turf treads.  So I put on chains (with v-bars) and they've never been off since. V-bars are about worn out, but I like the extra traction even in dry summer conditions.

Have now added several more GT's and recently a JD140 with Johnson loader to which I've added bar treads in back. Limited experience so far indicates I could not use bar treads for mowing during most of the season without serious turf damage.

#10 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Voting for turfs here.  I have hills, sometimes I go up/down and sometimes I go sidehill to mow.  I have a traction lock so sidehill traction is not a problem when mowing either way and I have chains so anything winter is not a problem.

I just can't bring myself to think of doing my lawn all season with "ag" tires.  My turfs with chains will run on the soft lawn fairly well as they don't stick up as far as bar tread.  When doing topsoil in Spring I usually still have the chains on, but they come right off after the necessity for pushing traction is over.

Now, "4 wheeler/ATV tires", another not sure here.  They sure look cool, but if they pick up and pack snow like turfs do they still would need chains.  They have a narrower footprint than an equivalent turf tire.  If they pick up moist soil, then they would need chains again for Spring topsoiling.  I still don't understand the ply rating of ATV tires on tractors, they seemed less stiff to me on an JD X series tractor I tried a while ago...  But they sure do look cool!:D

#11 Kurtee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7561
  • 452 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:47 PM

4 wheel drive helps

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:24 AM

4 wheel drive helps

Dang straight!  It's what I'm striving for next!:D

#13 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 07:20 AM

ive noticed that there are also different styles of turf tires depending on the brand that you have as well. my 126 has carlise turfs on it an with weights and chains i dont have much slipage in the soft spots on my lawn but this is only my snow removal tractor. My fil has the factory on his much newer cub an it doesnt take much an it will spin an burn a patch in the lawn not sure if it has to do with the tread design or not. my 1050 bolens had the fatory turfs on it an i mowed hilly an wet terrain when i had it an never had a problem. rate of speed over the wet spots might make a difference as well

#14 1978murray OFFLINE  

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:50 AM

ags work as long as they are not industrial style. they have no grip and slid like turfs on a big tractor.  But they rip up the yard

#15 dropped82 OFFLINE  

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,329 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:50 PM

I mow with turfs and anything with some pushing power I use loaded ags. One thing I noticed with my loaded ags while moving firewood, if I drive on soft ground they leave marks. The yard recovers well but if you spin an ag its no different than running a tiller in that spot. They dig and dig quick!! I don't usually spin with my turfs. Even on the wet spots that I also have. I just keep a good mowing speed without slowing down and it goes right thru. If I hesitate or slow down then they will tear up the yard. I don't have experience with chains yet but will find out soon enough as I'm picking up a set of 8.50 turfs with chains for my plowing setup (no money for a new set of ags). I also run carlisle turfsavers. Hope my rambling helps! Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2