Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Do We Have Here?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 superaben ONLINE  

superaben

Old Paths Equipment

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 5,262 Thanks
  • 4,403 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:13 AM

This is a unique piece: I can't tell if it is homemade or just an unusual manufacturer.  What does it look like to you??

http://charlottesvil...3629254837.html

I see a Briggs N series with suction carb.  $200 is a little high in my book, though, since I have no clue whether or not it runs.

Ben W.

Attached Files

• Attached File  h1.jpg   52.29KB   29 downloads
  • Attached File  h2.jpg   51.74KB   30 downloads
  • Attached File  h3.jpg   48.59KB   25 downloads

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 22,323 Thanks
  • 25,069 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Looks more home-brew to me.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1435
  • 9,909 Thanks
  • 13,338 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:49 AM

I agree, I says it's home built. Neat looking, but I couldn't do $200 on it.

#4 superaben ONLINE  

superaben

Old Paths Equipment

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 5,262 Thanks
  • 4,403 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:27 AM

I talked to the seller and he said it is a "Hollard" tractor.  I did a little hunting and discovered that F.H. Hollar built the thing right up the road from me in Singers Glen, VA.  The last of the old ones was built in 1955 as Choremaster and the like cooked the little company's market.  I learned something today!

http://www.smokstak....ad.php?t=112619

http://gasengine.far...Cultivator.aspx

Let's talk about high prices again, shall we?  If it wasn't two hundred and hadn't run since who knows when, I'd be bound for Madison! 

Ben W.

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering!

• Member No: 10327
  • 2,936 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:41 AM

reminds me of this vehicle, I saw near Leipzig, D. But when you say it's a "Hollard", then it is right.

Attached File  2012-08-25 10-58-13.jpg   98.36KB   22 downloads    Attached File  2012-08-25 10-58-33.jpg   118.52KB   25 downloads 

Edited by jd.rasentrac, February 20, 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 22,323 Thanks
  • 25,069 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:44 AM

It's been welded on enough to appear home built.  The cultivators are welded on, and braces added.  But with all the mods, $200 is way too high.

#7 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7225
  • 653 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Not familiar with Hollard, (maybe they have a very wealthy following) but looks to me like after you spent say another several hundred and LOTS of time working on this you could re-sell it for.. hmm... maybe $300 ?

Kinda really makes me feel even better about the Junior (hope your not having regrets) Dr released me yesterday to start trying to do some lighter chores and such which was good :dancingbanana: but it is around 20F outside with a 30mph wind, brrrr all the cows are huddled in the valley I can see form the house  with a big round bale I dropped earlier today and unless there is an emergency I'm staying in here with the computer !!

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7225
  • 653 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 02:31 PM

The computer finally loaded the other reference post you had, and that is a really neat story about those units :thumbs:  Thanks for sharing.

#9 superaben ONLINE  

superaben

Old Paths Equipment

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 5,262 Thanks
  • 4,403 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 02:43 PM

It's been welded on enough to appear home built.  The cultivators are welded on, and braces added.  But with all the mods, $200 is way too high.

Daniel, I believe the welds are probably 90% original.  Each Hollar was hand made with its own unique properties from what I read.

But not only that, the engine doesn't run.  The owner wasn't even certain that it was free.  After finishing one B&S N series rebuild (which ran up a bill very quickly) I doubt if doing another rough one would be possible under at $100, even assuming just ignition and carburetor.

$200 is just too steep.

Not familiar with Hollard, (maybe they have a very wealthy following) but looks to me like after you spent say another several hundred and LOTS of time working on this you could re-sell it for.. hmm... maybe $300 ?

Kinda really makes me feel even better about the Junior (hope your not having regrets) Dr released me yesterday to start trying to do some lighter chores and such which was good :dancingbanana: but it is around 20F outside with a 30mph wind, brrrr all the cows are huddled in the valley I can see form the house  with a big round bale I dropped earlier today and unless there is an emergency I'm staying in here with the computer !!

Jim, they have a following locally, but since they are not well known, its hard to say a value.  Resell value would be at $300 as a high, my preference would be to try to see it go lower since it is on steel.  Hollar machines also only came with cultivators, I believe, so adaptability is much lower than your Junior Chief. 

I don't have too many regrets, yet, on the Junior, but they'll hit as soon as it leaves.  I get attached to every machine that goes through my hands!

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.  I'm sure getting out will help you heal, too.  But not with that kind of temperatures and wind! 

Stay warm up there!

Ben W.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 2,528 Thanks
  • 2,730 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hope this isn't too "off subject".....

I visited a place called WHEELS OF TIME in Maggie Valley N.C.

There is all kinds of stuff on display, and I have some pictures on the camera, but not on the 'puter yet.

They have all kinds of odd looking contraptions for soil work and they are susposed to be factory built...Some have the "ribbed" steel wheels.

I will try to up-load the photos.

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 2,528 Thanks
  • 2,730 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:05 PM

I visited a place called WHEELS OF TIME in Maggie Valley N.C.

There is all kinds of stuff on display, and I have some pictures on the camera, but not on the 'puter yet.

They have all kinds of odd looking contraptions for soil work and they are susposed to be factory built...Some have the "ribbed" steel wheels.

wiinterrendevous025_zps9d157653.jpg

wiinterrendevous024_zps3ab9b088.jpg

wiinterrendevous023_zpsac4523db.jpg

wiinterrendevous022_zps3ac8e92b.jpg

wiinterrendevous021_zps22bb2e93.jpg

wiinterrendevous020_zps9098764a.jpg