#1 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 07:29 AM

My transaxle in my Fourteen Hundred has a problem with Worn out Brake pads and a worn out Shifter de-tent ball and/or spring.It pops out of 1st gear when I can find it.I have to run in granny or 2nd or 3rd gear.I really need 1st gear for mowing and blowing.It's to fast in 2nd for the blower and Way to slow in granny.

I just got a Parts John Deere 112 with a good Peerless 2300 transaxle.It Looks the same other than the Band brake on the JD vs the disk on my MTD.

My question is Will it bolt up to my to my MTD tractor without having to Modify anything other than the brakes and possibly change the drive pulley over?

I looked up the numbers on the JD transaxle and I got a manual for it but it says it has a Posi Diff? Is it a true posi or just a limited slip?The transaxle in my MTD is limited slip or it has a very worn Diff in it because it spins both wheels in the mud and it will bury it's self up to the running boards in no time.

Here's a pic of my MTD in it's winter clothes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 000_0086.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, February 20, 2013 - 07:46 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:11 AM

In the manuals section there is a manual for identifying peerless transaxles and a manual for 2300 repairs. You can download them and read how to replace the brake pads and the detent spring. It may not be hard. The brake pads are about $6 at NAPA. Good Luck, Rick

• EricFromPa said thank you

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:25 AM

I've read that you have to split the entire case.I would rather just swap out the transaxle.I've taken a couple of the smaller 3 speed peerless transaxles apart and had trouble getting the shift forks to line back up.They are a real pain in the butt to get everything back in there and working again.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Some of them are easier to assemble upside down. The manuals should give you the tricks. Good Luck, Rick

• EricFromPa said thank you

#5 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'm not sure what the gear ratio is in the Deere 112, but I do know that the 14 Mtd has a lower ratio in 2nd gear than the ones in my 16's , you can't tell from the outsides, the model numbers are the same but the gears inside are different.

As far as I know Mtd never used a limited slip, but I have runned accross them in Deere 110's