Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:13 AM

The seller replied to me about getting a $300 offer on his DB. I told him that's where 2 fools met, the buyer was a fool for offering that much, and he was a fool for not taking it. I think I ticked him off.
  • wilberj, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#17 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:18 AM

It's terrible around my area, too.  In the past few days, I have contacted a couple CL sellers about items they have for sale:

How about a Wheelhorse?  No deck, runs fine (needs to be rebuilt) with no price.  One call later, I learn it was priced at 1000 even.  Have a nice day.

How about a Gravely?  1250 dollars, pull start L model, no Swiftomatic, equipped with the normal bush hog deck.  And the punch line: "I've seen these things go for twice as much."  Where is he from? 

Any fool can charge what they please, but nobody has to buy it.  The ones that get me are those "ran when parked" ads that are asking restored tractor prices.  It just makes it hard for those who are looking for a project treasure priced decently!  

There are pieces worth money because they're rare.  There are pieces worth money because they're useful.  Then there is junk.

It makes it hard for me to find something decent enough to rebuild that will not break the budget but that will also hold its value.  

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:21 AM

I see the DB with no motor and 4 attachments here in Oklahoma for $500, has been relished at least twice now. It would help if these people at least posted model numbers about the stuff they are trying to sell.

#19 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Yea, same everywhere. People think that what they have is a "rare antique" cause it's over 30 yrs old and rusted, must make it worth gold. The ones that kill me are the same ones that are continually listed on CL for a year or so but the price never drops. We have a JD210 or 212 listed here, it was listed as a "could be running tractor with some work" for $250 for like 3-4 months. Now all of a sudden, the price has jumped to $550 for same tractor, ad did not change. They must think spring time makes prices go up. People are crazy nowadays.

#20 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:45 AM

I also get irritated at these guys. They don't really know anything about the GT as they probably put it on CL the same day they hauled it home. I have bought a few tractors and can usually spot these phoney peddlers. Thay have no love of the game!

imagesCAPKIL3J.jpg imagesCA3P42C1.jpg

Edited by anderson classic tractors, February 20, 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#21 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Makes me think of those Franklin Mint decorative plates listed as "collectable". Sure they're collectable, but they ran off a limited edition of about a billion! People seem to think that if they hear what they want to hear, that makes it so. Buyer beware, and keep your hands in your pockets at all times, do your research. I used to feel sorry for those wet behind the ears types that get taken by the flim-flam artists, but you know, it's just the old survival game modernised. There's a coyote out there in the trees to take the unwary bunnie every time.      Gad! where did that rant come from??

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:34 AM

When ever something is "collectable", it means that it isn't. There are certain words that always raise warning signs. Rare Antique Collectable And the one I like is "original paint" which means it needs a paint job.

#23 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:23 PM

No matter what the sellers price is I have the same response to it. I make them an offer and if they truen it down they can just keep it. I am not going to waste my time getting mad or arguing with an idiot. About half the time I get a call a few weeks or months later wanting to know if I am still interested. I saw a 10 HP Poulan Pro LT on Craigslist last night for $2000. I just laughed and moved on.

• Alc, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#24 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Exactly. All you can do is offer what it's worth to you.

#25 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,200 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I agree Prices are out of control. Years ago you could find a decent Bolens With several attachments for $100-200. Since then prices have just about doubled and then some!

I do think prices have been driven up partly because you see all these "Whats it worth" threads on forums which is why I tend to stay away from those. I also think since many people are now parting out all these nice machines (Some in running condition :( ) it also drives up the price of a complete tractor because the sellers then threaten to part them out if they don't get their "Parting out price"

I also find the word "Rare" to be abused quite regularly. Almost every Ebay and craigslist add you see claims to be selling a "Rare" One of a kind tractor :wallbanging:

I flag alot on craigslist. :D

• Bolens 1000, Amigatec and boyscout862 have said thanks

#26 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:14 PM

So do I.

#27 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Fortunately, there are still folks that price their stuff reasonable, if not under price them.

For instance there is a nice, running AMF 1010 that's about 15 minutes or so from me listed at $275.00 which is more than reasonable in anyone's book.

AMF.jpg

Even though I'm a confirmed Bolens guy, I'm almost tempted to buy it just to 'flip' it at the Wellington show in the fall.

Edited by OldBuzzard, February 20, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#28 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:46 PM

To all the overpriced sellers, please remember this!

imagesCAS36GJE.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#29 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 07:31 PM

I have nothing to say.

Garden Tractor for Sale - $1750 (Kutztown)

http://allentown.cra...3558954332.html

#30 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 07:54 PM

the real problem isnt in the asking price, if the guy wants 1750 for that he can keep it. the problem starts when finds a fool to give him that much. when i sell anything its never priced firm, i like to haggle on prices so i assume everyone else does so i leave a little wiggle room in the price so when the haggling is done i still get my bottom dollar price and i dont go too used car salesman on it but dont think asking $350 for something i only wanted $300 for is wrong

Edited by 916 hydro, February 20, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you