Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:39 AM

I have watching a lot of auctions on eBay, and CL. I am amazed at what some people think these tractors are worth.

There are 2 reasons to buy a tractor either to use, or to restore. Just because its old dosen't mean it worth a bunch. If you're planning to use it, then finding the attachments for it can be a real challenge. If you are buying it to restore, it can cost a fortune. Just because it has a motor and tires doesn't mean they are correct. If the tires are wrong and have to be replaced, to me that cuts the price WAY down, and if the motor is wrong and be replaced, that also cuts the price way down.

These "Used Car Saleman" selling these tractors don't have a clue what they selling or what the value really is. It just burns my butt to see this go on.
  • Bolens 1000, Alc, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Unfortunately if there are buyers willing to pay what sellers are asking... it makes it hard for most of us to get a decent tractor for a reasonable price.

• Alc, boyscout862, twostep and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:11 AM

Case in point there are 2 DB walk behinds on eBay right now with a BIN price of $700, both have truck tires, and come with a cultivator. I contacted both of the sellers, only one has responded. Both of these look like 5751 or 5752 models. The one seller that did reply, told me he has sold these before for "several hundred" dollars. I told him it doesn't have reverse, no speed changer, and the wrong tires. I asked him if tells them it only has a 1.5 HP motor on it. He told me he doesn't get into gears, motors, our other stuff like that. I asked him if he dosen't what he's selling how can he price it? I told him a collector would never give that kind of price. He told me that I'm no collector. I told him I have 6 of these and about a dozen attachments. He got mad and told me to mind my own business. The problem I see is he sells this to somebody to fix up and they find out the truth, then try to sell it, and get mad when a collector won't give them anywhere as much money for as they paid for it.
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:16 AM

It's even worse up here in eastern Canada. There has been someone trying to move a beat JD214 for months now at 850$. JD's usually sell pretty quickly even at highish prices but this one is an example of what you are talking about. Even in the picture you can see numerous issues with it, yet it continues to be re listed for the same price. In the end it comes down to what people are willing to pay. As the hobby becomes more widespread and the tractors become more scarce the prices will rise. I agree totally that most people don't realize how much money and time is involved in restoring a vintage GT.

• Alc, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:19 AM

I'll be willing most of these tractor were bought at a very low price, and these sellers are just trying to make a quick buck.
  • boyscout862, oldedeeres and larryd have said thanks

#6 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:46 AM

To many people without any knowledge often buy this tractors for inflated prices. And the sellers say, that every tractor is a "rare single machine". Thats the same here in europe,too.

I'm no longer epay-member since several years. :thumbs:

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and larryd have said thanks

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 07:49 AM

It's even worse up here in eastern Canada. There has been someone trying to move a beat JD214 for months now at 850$. JD's usually sell pretty quickly even at highish prices but this one is an example of what you are talking about. Even in the picture you can see numerous issues with it, yet it continues to be re listed for the same price. In the end it comes down to what people are willing to pay. As the hobby becomes more widespread and the tractors become more scarce the prices will rise. I agree totally that most people don't realize how much money and time is involved in restoring a vintage GT.

Ditto that sentiment.  I am shocked at how much $$$$ I've sunk into reviving, not restoring, the HB112.  I'm at close to $700 & it is just now back to being "usable".  I shudder to think what the repaint will cost, if I go that far.  It's not the cost of repainting, it's the cost of everything I'll find out is broken/worn when I dismantle the tractor for painting.  

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:06 AM

I agree Prices are out of control. Years ago you could find a decent Bolens With several attachments for $100-200. Since then prices have just about doubled and then some!

I do think prices have been driven up partly because you see all these "Whats it worth" threads on forums which is why I tend to stay away from those. I also think since many people are now parting out all these nice machines (Some in running condition :( ) it also drives up the price of a complete tractor because the sellers then threaten to part them out if they don't get their "Parting out price"

I also find the word "Rare" to be abused quite regularly. Almost every Ebay and craigslist add you see claims to be selling a "Rare" One of a kind tractor :wallbanging:

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:14 AM

All good points :thumbs:   It's a shame as the prices are over paid,, it will just run them on all .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:31 AM

You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run. This wisdom from Kenny Rogers applies to alot of situations. Now days there are a lot of people that think everybody else exists to provide them profit.

There's a sucker born every minute and two to take him still applies. All any of us can do is protect ourselves. When prices get too high don't buy. The number of people that can actually repair and restore machines is actually pretty limited. Very few people can afford American Restorations prices. Many of the high priced toys just don't sell.

When the Wall St. bubble bursts the luxuries will too. I find that staying conservative and being patient works pretty good. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, oldedeeres and Brando have said thanks

#11 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:38 AM

All true  However on the plus side it does make the things that we have already collected more valuable ..

• Alc, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:52 AM

All true  However on the plus side it does make the things that we have already collected more valuable ..

I think I like that thinking !!

I know some of what we see is just stupid, but remember that not all that long ago a house could be found for 40 or 50 thousand, now that amount of money gets SOME new pick-up trucks !! So a $200 Gt a few years ago likely is twice that now.

Just my 2 cents...

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Not only are the prices up, but look what has happened to the price of parts, both used & new.

There is a local used car lot to me, they started to sell used garden tractors last year, most from mid 60's - early 80's. 

I'm not sure how many they more, but every time I go by seems like what was there a week ago is gone and replaced w/something else. Bottom line, they must be making $$ on them.

• Alc, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Agreed alot has to do with greed, but some has to do with location.  Espicaly Canada and out west where the tractor supply is much more limited to begin with.  A Case 448 worth around 1K here in resonable running shape with a mower deck goes for double that out west due to limited supply driving prices higher.  Same for the east coast, prices out there are higher than in the midwest.  I have seen some very insane prices for certain models, go price diesel cub cadets.  I have seen the smaller 1512 diesels with asking prices more inline with a super gt diesel cub or even higher.  All with the RARE word in their title or description as well.  Heck, I think the gentleman I swapped my refurbished JD214 w/mower and blade to, has it relisted on CL, sans grill emblem, for $1200!!!!  Not sure where he thinks he is gonna get that kind of money.  The tractor was rattle can painted with JD brand paint, not perfect but did look nice, shows better in pics than in person as you cant make out the imperfections in the hood finish. So far he just keeps renewing the ad so I am guessing no takers.  I have seen 520h Wheel Horses, considered to be one of the beasts of the WH line, from 1000 for a decent running one, to over 2500 for one that looks like its just better cleaned up or might have low hours on the meter.  There is a super nice looking(in the ad) Bolens 650 thats restored including the mower deck for $600 near me, now that I feel is a fair price for a good running and mowing tractor.  Its definatly a "buyer beware" market.   Mike

• oldedeeres said thank you

#15 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:09 AM

These restoring shows on TV, showing old items that are worth a ton of money which really aren't, aren't helping any. Everyone feels there junk is worth the most.

I've been noticing pricing continue to increase up here too. I have an ad on CL to fish for items and get an email or two a day. All different people, but similar in what they say. Doesn't matter if it's a CC or a sears, they're all rare models, don't run, flat tires, need batteries, but perfect for a restore! Or and normally towards the end they write in that it's rare again.

If you do your homework and use common sense you won't get burned on these deals. I've had to walk away a few times, other times I've had to pony up and pay for something I want.

It is what it is, just try to be smart about it.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks