11 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:47 AM

anyone having a problem getting tractor because the diff is to sensitive and spins one wheel all the time.  I was wondering if the is a way to fix it. I heard people using grease in there diff to stiffen it up

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 11:31 AM

If you jack it up and spin the wheels, does one turn harder than the other? Most of the Panzers used a mopar diff. The wheel with the least resistance will turn first. What happens if you put the brake on that wheel, will the other spin?

#3 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 05:05 PM

yeah, it seems like it takes very little to make the diff work.  it makes it a pain to haul wood because goin up a wet hill one tire only spins

#4 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 07:43 PM

That sounds pretty much like normal open diff operation. That's why they invented limited slip. :) Heavier oil shouldn't really help with that.

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:32 AM

i saw on the panzer club website to use grease in the diff when pulling. would that work

• Alc said thank you

#6 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 01:01 PM

Useing grease will not make any diffrence either. An open diff is always going to be that unless you weld the spider gears together. Good luck makeing a turn then.

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:30 AM

they said grease made the spiders stick a little more and not comeout as soon.  here is the article

-We couldn't lock the rear end because of the rules, so I pumped the rear end full of regular grease. It provided enough friction to lock the spiders, but allowed the independent brakes to work. DON'T do this on high speed tractors, though.

http://panzertractor...erformance.html

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:39 PM

On my Power King's  I run into the same problem , on them at least there are independent brakes so I'll just press the brake on the spinning wheel . Does the Panzer use a mechanical or hydraulic brake system ,?   My 2 of my cars that have ABS brakes there is also "Traction Control"  and on those it will apply the brake through the ABS  similar  to what I do on my tractors but only faster .

Side note here: , I told my daughter to shut the traction control off if she's ever driving in the snow , her little 4 cyl will just die when it comes on  and will slow the car so much when you might not want like if your trying to keep up your speed approaching   and over a hill . Just to use it at slow speeds  or if stuck

• 1978murray said thank you

#9 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:28 PM

my 4 cylinder saturn does the same thing.  i wanted to find a way so i wouldnt have to mess around with the brakes because it can be a pain. when 5000 other things are goin on around u

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thats what my daughter's car is! 1998 Sl1  with 175k+ .  Most of the cars have  a dash button hers is marked TC  that you have to push to turn it off her's you have to turn it off every ignition cycle , not sure how my wife's car is .  Or pull the ABS fuse , it needs to see the wheel speeds through the ABS  to make it work .

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:30 AM

yeah mine has a botton above the radio.  i love my car its a beater but it mine. 

• Alc said thank you

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Just reading old stuff. Yes, panzers are mechanical and independent.  You sure don't want to weld it solid if you're using is around the house.  Heck, you could get a locker diff for about $450 http://www.ringpinio...=Spartan_Locker

That's no problem for you I'm sure ;)  Hope to see the install thread for that next week!

• Alc said thank you