• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 welderman85 OFFLINE  

welderman85
  • Member No: 28421
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:51 PM

hi i just have a dumb question i just tryed to start a tractor that has been sitting for a few years maybe more. should i have put some oil in the cylinder before rolling it over. or is there something i should have done. could i have caused any damage to the motor. thank you for any help

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,324 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:50 PM

I usually give a squirt of something in there just to be safe, but unless there was foreign material in there or a seized valve, you shouldn't have destroyed the engine.

What symptoms do you currently have?

#3 welderman85 OFFLINE  

welderman85
  • Member No: 28421
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:56 PM

the tractor came from the scrap yard the gas was real old so i dont think it has ran in a while. the starter was stuck so i got that fixed i rolled it over a few times then i thought about how long it sat and how i should have sprayed somthing in there but i didnt and i hope i didnt hurt it

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,324 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 09:35 PM

I would put a little light oil or penetrating oil in the spark plug hole, leave the plug out, and turn it by hand. You can feel little issues a lot easier that way. Like a valve sticking, etc and with the plug out, the compression isn't making it hard to turn.

As for the gas, it sounds like a Carb job in your future. However, as long as it's better than the SS16 gas & carb, you should be OK :D

(Here's a link to the post with the bad gas pics)
http://gardentractor...eo/#entry236025

#5 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't think you would've hurt it any more than it already was, rust in the cylinder(s) is the major issue in engines that have been forgotten for long periods of time.

Direct the tractors exhaust out into the yard, it will blow out a ton of ---- when the engine comes back to life, trust me!  I like to take the plug out, then turn the engine until the piston is at the bottom of the bore and shoot engine oil from an oil can towards the side of the cylinder. This way it gets into the rings which need engine oil to seal compression, 1-2 pumps from an oil can should be plenty. Then turn it over by hand checking for resistance, if it spins reasonably well use the starter to quickly free up any accumulated rust, varnish, etc in the engine. Put the plug back in (after you clean it) and shoot a shot of carb cleaner into the carburetor with the choke and throttle wide open. Close the throttle back to idle and attempt starting. If it starts and runs for a second, give it another shot of carb cleaner and repeat. You may find the carb is full of varish and corrosion and is not working.  

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, February 24, 2013 - 01:57 PM.

• MH81 said thank you