• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • Member No: 27717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 01:19 AM

I picked up a few items for the 1250 today, among them two pair of Bolens wheel weights. The one set has two tabs and two bolts, just long enough to go through the rim and into the unused bolt holes in the hub.

I want to use both pair at once, do I need a second set of tabs and bolts to bolt the outer pair of wheel weights to the inner weight tabs or do I just get longer bolts and bolt them both right through to the hub?

#2 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Got a pic of the wheel weights and your 1250? Best I can tell, one longer carriage bolt through the hub and wheel weights will suit you just fine.

#3 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:46 AM

You need to stack them using the tabs. if you look at the tab you have one hole is threaded for the next set. You don't have tabs for the second set you could  bolt through the weight to the tab or just make another tab.

If you need another set with the tabs I have some for sale .......

Edited by baerpath, February 18, 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#4 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 08:45 AM

You need to stack them using the tabs. if you look at the tab you have one hole is threaded for the next set. You don't have tabs for the second set you could  bolt through the weight to the tab or just make another tab.

If you need another set with the tabs I have some for sale .......

Absolutely right. Bolens designed them to stack using the tabs and short bolts for each pair you install. The manual calls for a maximum of three of those plate weights on each rear wheel (totaling 120#).

#5 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 01:08 PM

The 1250 with the loader?

#6 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:55 AM

I was fooling around today with some longer bolts and it looks like I can just run longer 1/2x20 threaded bolts right through both weights. I suppose another set of weights won't hurt but I also plan on filling the rear tires too.

I came across a decent set of pretty aggressive bias ply snow tires for the back, their marked 29x11.00-15 If they fit in the fenders, that's what I'll run for now, at least until I can afford some ag tires or loader lugs.

The 1250 don't have the loader on it yet, I still have to make the brackets.
The loader will need some mods before I mount it, first off i want to replace the cross brace out front, I don't like it being only a single thickness piece of steel there, and I'll have to make up a mounting bracket for the pump. On the MTD the pump sat on top of the motor driven off a belt bolted to the flywheel. I sort of have to mock up the layout so that I know the bucket can lay flat and scrape the ground when down. I also need to find a decent ram for the bucket dump, either a single in the middle or two separate rams. The way it works now you just twist the lever and the bucket dumps on its own.

On the one I looked at in Vineland, the bucket had two rams that connected right to the top of the bucket, the bucket worked just like a normal loader. I'm not sure if this bucket came from MTD or maybe another aftermarket loader builder, the only numbers on it were stamped on the bottom of the one leg, and those were faint. The pump looks basically like a power steering pump, I just have to make sure I mount it right so it turns the right direction to make pressure.
I really liked the pump mounting on the Johnson loader, on that machine when the loader is off the tractor, the pump goes with it, all you need to do is remove the belt, undo 6 or 8 bolts and off comes the loader.  Its a complete stand alone unit. On the MTD I took this from the loader could be removed, but the pump was a permanent mount under the hood. Meaning that you had to disconnect hydraulic lines to remove the loader. The bucket on the one in Vineland was larger too.

My goal first here is to get the hydro working, I got the pump back together, hopefully it'll work ok. If we get some better temps I'll get out there and install it.

What fluid do these run? It looks like ATF in the system now? The transaxle side behind the pump has gear oil though.

#7 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:02 AM

so it wasnt the one in vineland? and those weights u need fine tread bolts

#8 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:37 PM

I had looked at the two owned by the guy selling that Bolens snow blower but just didn't have the cash to buy the whole lot.

I bought a machine that needs some work off a friend who picked both mine and an MTD with a loader up at an auction a few weeks ago.
I'm mounting the loader off the MTD on the Bolens 1250.

I bolted both wheel weights up with two long studs on each side, I took 1/2" x 20tpi all thread and made four studs, which made putting the weights on a lot easier. I then just cut the studs to length and used two nylon lock nuts on each stud to hold both weights on. This way I don't have to fumble around trying to line up bolts or threads when putting the weights on and off. It worked out great.

Each stud ended up being around 4" or so long. I was going to just use tapered car lug nuts but they were close to getting wedged into the wheel weight holes so I used the four plates I had and the lock nuts.

I wanted to get the weights mounted just so I could stop tripping over them in the shed here. Next I get to deal with the hydro pump, hopefully it works ok and this thing moves and drives when I'm done.

I did try to buy those two in Vineland but he won't budge on the price. I really don't think he cares if they sell or not, he knows what he's got and most likely just plans on keeping them. I figure he's just letting go of the things he don't use. To me, a deck or snow blower would be useless, my only plans for mine now are to use it for the loader and to find a three point hitch and some attachments. From what I've seen the attachments are what will be the real problem to find. The last plow and disc I saw at auction went over $1200 for the pair and they were in rough shape.

I figure I'd just bide my time and see what turns up, if not I'll run a sleeve hitch set up, those attachments are easier to find and the adapter is easy to make.

Of course if I had the cash, those two in Vineland would be here already, but I just don't have $3,000 cash to play with. Its bad enough I've got almost $2,000 in mine now though, it may have been a lot cheaper to just buy the two in Vineland in the first place, at least then I'd have a pretty good chance of only having to deal with sitting issues and not putting a half stripped tractor back together that someone else took apart. At least the  motor runs good on mine, the rest is what concerns me. I've yet to see this one move under its own power. It sounds good sitting there running though. I also need to find headlights, headlight retaining parts, I have to make up mounts for the seat I have here, from an old fork lift, and then deal with any other little issues that turn up..