• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 06:42 PM

My day off today started out great with a trip to DQ for breakfast.  Then we came home & I attempted to get some prep work on selling the Jacobsen Chief.  Just as I got into it, my brother stopped by, so I didn't get nearly as much done.  So after a while I decided it was time for some tractor seat time to end my frustration.  First I mowed a section of barn area with the Jake.  

After that I hooked up the 12" plow to the diesel Bush Hog JB...aka "Hogzilla", and plowed my garden!  I wanted to get video, but my movie camera battery needed charging, and the regular camera, which does video, for some reason won't work in video mode.  So I just took a still pic of the plowed ground when I finished.  I can honestly say this machine is simply super awesome with this new hydro/diff combo!  The turning brakes are great at swinging it into position too.  I can plow with the 12" plow with very little throttle, or throw it wide open & really get with it.  This hydro puts the power down, with no complaints.  The original JB hydro would squeal in protest and was obvious that it wasn't transferring power efficiently.  No more though!

DSC06509.JPG

Then after plowing, I got the JD430 out & mowed my yard around my home.  It mows superb!  Power out the yang, and does a smooth even cut.  It does have an issue though that I've not checked out yet.  As you drive, mostly on slight downhills, the speed will pick up, then abruptly slow way down, back & forth like that.  I think either a linkage is worn, or that a mount is broken somewhere.  I was in neutral one time and stepped on the deck when getting off, and with the deck raised, when I stepped on it & it twisted from my weight, the tractor went forward.  Something is amiss, and I'll find it soon as I get time.  I don't think it's internal of the hydro itself, as it does fine on uphills.

Mowing in February may sound strange, but my yard does look much neater.  Had a lot of those tall patches of grass, and much neater now.

DSC06510.JPG

So after seat time, I'm as content as can be!  Get a diesel and let it melt your problems away! ....at least for a little while!  :smilewink:

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like you're happy as a pig in $8!+.

Good to hear that "Hogzilla" is everything you wanted it to be.

I'm glad for you, but I think it all scks.

Minus 18C here this morning. High of -10C.

AND you're cutting lawn!!!

:mad2:  :mad2:

• olcowhand and twostep have said thanks

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:05 PM

I wish i could get some more seat time ! With out a Jacket,coveralls,boots and a tuk ARG i miss cutting the Grass and the snow is on its way out ! it will be even more fun with my diesel ! Looks like she works pretty good !

Cheers

Ty  

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:10 PM

#1 I never had breakfast at DQ didn't know they had it.

#2 I never cut grass in Feb, mostly because of the snow.

#3 I never plow the garden when it's frozen.

You got made there.

Good stuff on Hogzilla hope it works well for ya and I'm looking forward to seeing it at your plow day this yr. :thumbs:

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Glad you got some seat time. Sounds like it was a good day for life on the Olcowhands Farm !!

What is this Jak you are going to sell?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:21 PM

#1 I never had breakfast at DQ didn't know they had it.

#2 I never cut grass in Feb, mostly because of the snow.

#3 I never plow the garden when it's frozen.

You got made there.

Good stuff on Hogzilla hope it works well for ya and I'm looking forward to seeing it at your plow day this yr. :thumbs:

Oh yes they have breakfast...IF they are a DQ "Brazier".  We got the "ultimate has brown breakfast with ham".  Hash browns w/onions pieces, scrambled egg, & ham (or bacon).  I got a side order of bacon, and we shared a plate of biscuits w/gravy!  Great start to the day!

I've cut the tops off the grass many times in January or February, but usually just to test out a tractor/mower.  This time was therapy!

No frozen ground here.  It actually plowed very nicely!

And I very much look forward to this Fall's plow day!!!  Glad you plan to come down again!

Glad you got some seat time. Sounds like it was a good day for life on the Olcowhands Farm !!

What is this Jak you are going to sell?

Jacobsen Chief 1000 I picked up a while back.  She runs like brand new, and mows nice to boot!  2 of the spindles are loose & need rebuilt soon, but all is functional.  Everything works as it should!  I was going to keep it a while, but I have to pay down some debts.  I just can't keep them all like I'd like to.

#7 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Daniel, when you take the time to look into that wompy jawed hydro on the 430, please do a thread on it.  My 430 did the same thing, and my other 430 did too.  Im thinking it was in the worn out linkages.  They both have been sold, and I didnt keep them long to have time to look into that, but I am curious to see what you find. 

BTW,  I just plowed Friday in 65deg weather, and then it snowed 1in yesterday.  Now you cant even see a speck of snow here today, and I plan on mowing this week for the second time this year.  I dont know how yall do it up north. 

Edited by mowinman2, February 17, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Daniel, when you take the time to look into that wompy jawed hydro on the 430, please do a thread on it.  My 430 did the same thing, and my other 430 did too.  Im thinking it was in the worn out linkages.  They both have been sold, and I didnt keep them long to have time to look into that, but I am curious to see what you find. 

Will do that David!  It will be a while possibly, but I need to get to it before April.

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Great that you got seat time Daniel!  

I think you are right about frame or mount problems causing the tractor to act squirrely,  With your skills, finding and fixing it shouldn't be a problem!

• olcowhand said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I still say we need a 'Thanks for Nothing' tab to click on for posts like the first one in this thread.

#11 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Glad to here you had some seat time Daniel.

• olcowhand and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:09 PM

I still say we need a 'Thanks for Nothing' tab to click on for posts like the first one in this thread.

Ya's gotta remember....I rarely get any snow to push around like many of you guys do.  Hardly ever enough to use a blower.

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Daniel, I'm glad you had some quality diesel seat time.  I have never done any of those things in February.  I did mow the lawn in March last year.  That was way to early.

I hope you run down the gremlins in the 430.  Good luck.

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Get a diesel and let it melt your problems away! ....at least for a little while!   :smilewink:

You just knew I was going to agree with this  :thumbs:

Your plowing and cutting grass and they are warning us of another winter storm Wednesday evening. The only good thing it is going to be a bunch more moisture and seat time.

It's really nice to hear that the Hog turned out as you hoped. That has to make you feel good. You completed that a lot faster than you planed on. My Son in-law had a mower that acted similar to your JD and it turned out to be a broken frame. I hope you can resolve it without too much work.

Thanks for the photos,

Chris

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 05:26 AM

Glad you got to put 'Hogzilla' to the test and it passed! That garden looks real good. I'm afraid if you turned ground here, it would just blow away.

Hope you figure out the JD issue easily.