#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Have 97 Briggs Vanguard from a White tractor, 20hp. Has a two barrel carb on it, Starts only with choke, cold or warm. Revs up, high speed seems fine, yet halfway throttled it pulses and spits and sputs out exhauste quite a bit. Have run carb cleaer direct into throat and also sea-foam drippd  in and it is also in gas. When I spray cleaner in it smooths out real nice for a moment. New gas line filter.  Pulled line offf pump to carb and ran. Doesn't squirt real hard, but does deliver. Should it be a strong stream or just kinda heavy pulse?  Seems like running only one cylinder. Pulled plug wire and no diff. Pulled plug and hooked up and lots of sparking there. SO, guessing one side not getting fuel. Plug was wet and black. Or at least black. Went out for drive and tractor in high range bogs a lot, doesn't pull strong. Tried the pto for deck and it won't turn mower. The mower blades turn by hand and the gear box seemed to turn when I used screwdriver to turn the shaft.  Engine just bogs, no matter how slow I feed the pto lever in. Not sure if some issues are just one cylinder not running or ???

Looking at carb,I see no float bowl area. it curve to go into intake and opposite side curves up to go into the air cleaner. There IS gaskets between parts,, maybe just diaphragms?? I would like to get a kit and rebuild. My engine manual shows nothing on carb, not even brand specs. Numbers stamped on top are  1DBS-009   and a triangle with letters I can't read, but might be  KDC in middle. Any idea of brand with these numbers? And where to go for info? 

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 04:43 PM

The side that you pulled off and made no difference how the engine ran may have a bad spark plug.

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 04:44 PM

... Briggs Vanguard ... Starts only with choke, cold or warm. ... spits and sputs out exhauste ...  Seems like running only one cylinder. Pulled plug wire and no diff. ... Plug was wet and black. Or at least black. ... 

You have all the clues, or too many clues.  Vanguards have a history of their coils dying on one side.  If I had to guess, I'd say you've found another one.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:09 PM

DB Owner.....went to Briggs site and downloaded a parts manual. Have owner's and that is all that was offered. They show only ONE coil/mag and ONE wire on it!  Is there two on this thing?  Book doesn't say you need two or quantities on any part that I can see. Got same number off a parts place too.  Seems carb kit shown is for the single barrel, none listed for two barrel. Just a carb number for that. SO, have to buy new carb? Don't see float listed for 2barrel, just throttle and choke rods and flys and the idle needles. Alll the rest listed is for the single carb. Kinda like new cars looks like, too hard to work on them....%^&*(*!

Maybe I need to do compression check. Wonder if a valve could be open or ? or out of adjustment? Never had a cover off one w/OHV's, don't know what to expect.

#5 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I would check compression and search youtube for video for adjusting valves of your briggs model. It is very easy to adjust over head valves.

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 08:24 PM

A "two barrel carb" means it is a Vanguard Twin.  Twins have to have two spark plug wires, and thus two coils (different firing timing).  

If it is a twin, does one side feel hot and the other cold when running?  If so, pull the flywheel & swap the coils to see if the problem changes sides.  First, try the plugs like boyscout862 suggested.  It is quick & cheap.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 09:48 PM

:smilewink: OK, found a repair manual in the listings for this engine. 191 pages, so just found ones on carb and looked at others. Seems I have a Nikki carb, AND, it does have a float, way underneath. fixed main jets. Seemed warm both sides when I was noting. Have to try and check again afer running. Gonna try the plugs first. Does have two coils, under cover, one per side. Wish it was warmer, could be more enthusiastic about working on it! :(

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 09:59 AM

Have you solved this yet?

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Nope, working too hard these days in plant and too cold to work outside, and trying to ignore it for awhlle. Nothing happens FAST around My place!

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you