Cub Cadet 782

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 virginiacubfan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10791
  • 51 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have a chance to trade for a nice 782 with the mower deck and tiller. I was wondering if anyone could give a ballpark value of the package. The motor was replaced 8 years ago and everything is in working order. The guy said it is a complete hydro tractor. I am not totally up to speed on the 82 series so I am looking for advice.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:25 AM

I have never owned one, but I have been told the 82 Series is some of the best Cubs ever built. Good Luck and if you make the deal, post some pictures.

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:28 AM

What are you trading?

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 05:01 PM

If it is in nice condition it would probably bring around 1,000 in my area. Seeing as how the engine was replaced, it is most likely a series 2 which is a much better engine than the series 1.

#5 virginiacubfan OFFLINE  

• 51 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 05:49 PM

I am thinking about trading a 2005 Suzuki z400 atv.

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,337 Thanks
  • 1,449 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Was it an IH built unit or a CCC built unit?  Not a deal killer either way really but the IH built unit will have a cast rear end on all of them and the CCC built units will have the cast rear end up to serial# 719,999.  After that they were aluminum rear ends.  Both the red IH and yellow and white Cub Cadet badged units built by CCC will have aluminum rear axle housings on them.  Like LTD noted if the engine was replaced it may have a series II in it now which is preferable as they are pressure lubed versus splash lube on the series I.  Could even have a Magnum 18 in it if it was replaced which is even better yet than a series II, allthough they are very similar.

The 782 was arguably the best garden tractor that IH ever built.  CCC continued it and the ones they built were just as good as the IH units.  Either way it will have hydraulic lift on it.  If I could find one reasonable I would consider getting one myself but I have too many other ones now and don't need another.  My dad does however own an IH built one as well as a CCC built 782D.  To bad they are part of his collection and are not machines that are for use.  The Diesel is all restored and the gas is a low hour machine with plans to stay that way.  I would say LTD's price is probably close.  In my neck of the woods it may be a bit high priced at that figure.  They are a heck of a tractor though.

• Texas Deere and Horse and virginiacubfan have said thanks

#7 virginiacubfan OFFLINE  

• 51 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the input.  I am going to check it out this week to see all the details and to see if it is a good fit for me.  The tiller is what really got me interested I have been looking for one for any of my cubs for years, but being in va I have only come across one and I was a day late.  I will keep everyone posted Thanks

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7649
  • 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 02:49 AM

I have a 782 I just recently bought. Mine is an IH with the cast rear end. Around here 782s in mowing condition with the series II engine will bring $500-800. If it has the rear hitch and tiller that would add another $200-400 depending on condition. Value is really based on how bad you want it. I over paid for mine but I wanted it for my collection.

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:04 AM

I've got a CCC aluminum rear red 682 Series II (I've heard that people will put a series II air cleaner cover on series I engines). Mine has really good tins, no rust, decent paint, decent tires, and a mower deck that was in usable/rebuildable condition and I gave $500. I agree with dsmith on the tiller value... if it is in good usable condition it would be a handy piece

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:38 AM

i used a 782D at plow days last year. really great tractor.  it pulled hard and the hydrolics were great.  i would do the trade