Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Keyed Shaft Adapters?

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robbor OFFLINE  

  • New Member
  • Member No: 27537
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts
  • Location: Rocklin CA

Posted February 17, 2013 - 01:40 AM

I have an old tractor dont recall the make, probably fron early 50s.   I have 4 new in box honda 11hp motors, im just wondering if the hondas 1" keyed shaft is larger than what the tractor has if anyone make keyed shaft adapters if i have to reduce it to 7/8 or 3/4"??

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  


    Old Iron Junky

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,683 Thanks
  • 1,353 posts
  • Location: Minnesota

Posted February 17, 2013 - 02:10 AM

I've seen adapters some where, but can't recall where. If its belt driven (off the engine) you could just find a pulley that is the same OD and  a smaller ID.

If you'd have a couple of pics of the tractor it would help out.


And by the way  :welcometogttalk:

#3 robbor OFFLINE  

  • New Member
  • Member No: 27537
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts
  • Location: Rocklin CA

Posted February 17, 2013 - 02:22 AM

that what i was hoping but it looks like the shaft inputs straight into a transmission or gear reduction. i need to check further.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,559 Thanks
  • 9,434 posts
  • Location: N.E. Connecticut

Posted February 17, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Many years ago I made an adapter with 3/4"id to 1"od. I was working in a machine shop and one of the old guys helped me with the tricks so that it wouldn't crush. It was to replace a 9hp Lawson with a 8 hp Kohler. It has worked for over thirty years. I have not seen them sold by anyone.


If you are going to reduce, I don't see how you would do it. an adapter would move the engine farther away. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

    RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,889 Thanks
  • 15,514 posts
  • Location: East of San Antonio Texas

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:19 AM

You have a couple choices,


1. Pull the crank and turn it down to the DIA. you want.

2. Mount the engine, start it up and very carefully grind the crank down with a disc grinder. Make sure you keep your grinder flat and stop to take measurements ofter.

3. Make an adapter, making the output shaft a couple inches longer. You can shorten the shaft on the engine to just an inch long. Then mount the sleeve adapter.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  


    Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts
  • Location: South Central Kentucky

Posted February 17, 2013 - 11:08 AM

 If you had access to a lathe, you could buy a pair of "weld-a-hubs" at TSC or similar stores, one of each size.  Machine one with a slight depression, then machine the other with a likewise small extrusion, both of the same outer dimension so as to fit perfectly, thus centering them together.  Hold them tight together in a vise & weld them together.  You have a perfectly aligned adapter.

#7 Alc ONLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,259 Thanks
  • 7,598 posts
  • Location: Bangor Pa

Posted February 17, 2013 - 11:51 AM

I found this site , maybe something like this would work


  • olcowhand said thank you