• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 06:16 PM

I know that many a GT over the years have used Eaton Hydro's.

I myself have a Woods 1250 ZTR here that has (2) Eaton 7 series units on it; I think my left one is  a lil weak. it has never gotten "worse" and I have changed fluid in it once, 2 years ago. I think it's due again before this mowing season. (this will be my 5th or 6th season owning this machine) It works as it always has, since I have owned it// but I gotta hold the right lever back slightly as I mow  so as to be able to go straight; if I max out both, it'll veer left.

I really like this mower, it is a 44" cut with a 12HP Kohler Magnum ( a K 301 with elec ignition, essentially)

I have lots of spare parts for it, including an engine fresh from the machine shop I just gotta reassemble so it can take its place under the bench til my mower needs it. 

This is exactly the same machine as a grasshopper 1212.  (woods owned GH or vise versa in the late 80s)

Anyways; I have a pair of Eaton 11's here that I have no use for. One has a faded tag on it from apparently having been rebuilt.

I wasn't the one to remove them, have no clue as to what they may fit. I can probably get the numbers off them,  so one of you guys can possibly ID them.

Is there a chart somewhere that tells exactly which Eaton hydro's were used on what machine by brand/model?

I would be interested in trading my Eaton 11s for a pair of the correct Eaton 7's, as my machine has on it.

Without removing the hydros from my mower I have no other way to ID them > as from what I have seen the numbers are on the bottoms of them. My hydro units currently are still functional, so I have no motivation to remove them and reinstall them just to get a number from them.  so a "usage list" would be handy!

also, is there a good "parts source" or possibly a "rebuilder" of these that someone could send in a dead one to be reconditioned and returned?  I might even be inclined to send these 11 series ones in under those conditions and see if this rebuilder (if one exists) would swap me for a set of the 7 series ones I woud need, if I am gonna have stuff layin around I'd rather it be parts I can use for my particular machines, if that makes sense. Definitely not an "urgent" need but will become urgent if one of my hydros conks out.

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Oh; I do (did?) have the book on my mower and I remember seeing that it had Woods part numbers for the hydro's within it not Eaton numbers  ll;it said in the Description was "Eaton Hydro Series 7"

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 06:28 PM

I know that Bolens used the Eaton 11 in a number of their tractors.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 08:00 PM

The first thing that I would look at is your linkage adjustments.

I like that you plan ahead to have replacement assemblies. It can make a big difference for getting your work done on time. My brother has a landscaping business and has spares for everything in his garage including spare trucks and tractors.

One of the Bolens groups had someone that rebuilt the hydros and transaxles. You would  ship them the old one. They also had a detailed disassembly and evaluation description with pictures. Good Luck, Rick 

Try here http://groups.yahoo....b/message/36276

Edited by boyscout862, February 16, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I am also thinking that your problem could be linkage related. The fact that you can go straight at all and don't complain about a lack of power on the suspect wheel makes me think the 2 hydros are not quite balanced properly at the straight ahead position. Check the linkages over carefully looking for bent, worn or loose parts. There may also be an adjustment for balancing the drive.

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have been using this thing like this for 4 or 5 seasons now on my own yard, some of the neighbors' and occasionally hauling it elsewhere to make some extra cash... it hasn't gotten worse and I have gotten used to it; 

I have had a couple of these bought for "parts", the 1st one was too good to be a parts machine and wound up selling it as a running machine(where my spare motor came from, it was partially a basket case/missing parts)  I got a motor from a buddy to pop on there and verify those hydros were good as I was originally gonna strip it for parts  but when I found out it worked, and my buddy said "keep the motor" (he was moving and needed stuff gone anyway) I sold that machine and tore the original  motor from that one down for a rebuild)  I then bought a  carcass from a guy via Ebay, no deck, engine or hydros. I got it just for the factory Woods bagger frame that it came with, and saved the gearbox that ran the 2 hydros and all the sprockerts and such and put them into boxes and in the attic; the PO of that machine bought it sans engine, and robbed the hydros for another machine he had....

I am just tired of looking at these 11 series Eaton units collecting dust and knowing that I currently have nothing I can use the 11s on, if I can get a set of 7s that I can use for a machine I have in their place, all the better..      I have no plans to part with my mower, built like a brick s#!t-house and should last me the rest of my life  alot of the parts (bearings sheaves etc) are "common" and can be gotten at places like Motion Industries. and nothing out there lets me fly thru a mow job and around obstacles without breaking out the push mower like this one,,,, the only bad thing is it sucks at sidehills like my ditches. I have never been too keen on the practice of being "on" any kind of tractor/mower in a ditch anyways because I know a couple guys that are "no longer with us" on accounts of having an "oops"  from doing just that