Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Which Came First?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Which came first? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you get a tractor to garden, or a garden to tractor?

1. Had garden, got tractor. (12 votes [38.71%])

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

2. Had tractor, got garden. (8 votes [25.81%])

Percentage of vote: 25.81%

3. It's complicated. I'm confused. (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

4. The workers must seize the means of production. With tractors. (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 10:35 PM

I grew up farming, so tractors have always been part of my life!  As for garden tractors, I don't really use mine in my gardens, but do haul supplies like mulch to the gardens with them.  And I DO need several tractors for that purpose!   :rolling: One for towing, one for plow days & pushing snow (20 HP), one for blowing snow, one for towing (oops, more than one for towing)  :D  :D  :D !

Aw shucks, I just like messing with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :worshippy1:  :dancingbanana:  :wave:   ~~  Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, February 16, 2013 - 10:35 PM.

• Reverend Blair and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 10:57 PM

I've had GT's and farm tractors all my life. Didn't start gardening until we moved back to the country in my early 30's.

#18 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Never did any gardening as a youngster.  The ground surrounding the house we lived in when we were married and for the next 25 years could grow only one crop and that was ROCKS!  You could not jump on a regular shovel and get it to drive in all the way with out clanging off several rocks.  I did have a few tractors that were used for plowing the driveway and pulling the wagon around the acre.

When we bought out here at the lake we worked up an area with part of a farm drag and my Ford LGT, then planted some pumpkins and corn.  Pumpkins got big enough for the grand-kids to enjoy and the raccoons enjoyed the corn immensely. 

Fast forward to now, our 30ft x 60 ft garden is fenced with 5 foot tall welded wire fence with 2 foot of chicken wire at the bottom.  Our garden seems to grow anything we try very well.  It is not big enough and we will probably end up adding some this year.  We were given some hybrid raspberry plants last spring that took root well in the garden and produced some thumb sized berries in the fall.  We still grow sweet corn and pumpkins, and have added tomatoes, carrots  green peppers, and green beans to our regulars.  I want to try some potatoes, lettuce, and radishes this year, and am looking forward to the weather allowing us to do so.

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Never did any gardening as a youngster.  The ground surrounding the house we lived in when we were married and for the next 25 years could grow only one crop and that was ROCKS!  You could not jump on a regular shovel and get it to drive in all the way with out clanging off several rocks.  I did have a few tractors that were used for plowing the driveway and pulling the wagon around the acre.

When we bought out here at the lake we worked up an area with part of a farm drag and my Ford LGT, then planted some pumpkins and corn.  Pumpkins got big enough for the grand-kids to enjoy and the raccoons enjoyed the corn immensely. 

Fast forward to now, our 30ft x 60 ft garden is fenced with 5 foot tall welded wire fence with 2 foot of chicken wire at the bottom.  Our garden seems to grow anything we try very well.  It is not big enough and we will probably end up adding some this year.  We were given some hybrid raspberry plants last spring that took root well in the garden and produced some thumb sized berries in the fall.  We still grow sweet corn and pumpkins, and have added tomatoes, carrots  green peppers, and green beans to our regulars.  I want to try some potatoes, lettuce, and radishes this year, and am looking forward to the weather allowing us to do so.

May I suggest Sugar Snap Peas to start the garden early. We plant them in March which is 2 months before the tomatoes. Plant them against the fence and eat them raw when they are ripe. They are usually past when I plant the tomatoes infront of them. Good Luck, Rick

• Reverend Blair and Michiganmobileman have said thanks

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 01:09 PM

never had a garden although ive had tractors off an on since i was 16 when i was 23 my gma bought me the bolens 1050 and i started collecting after after that or swapping to get another one im probly close to 15 tractors the ive had by now. i normally have one for winter duty and one for summer now its to mch work to take off the winter gear an change to summer gear an it allows me to have a couple gts