• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Just wondering if anyone has a shaft drive rear tiller for an older MTD garden tractor, like one that would go on my 1972 Wizard 10HP. I would like to find one, and would like to see a pic or 2 of one so I am for sure what I am looking for. And also any feedback on how well it performs? Thanks!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 09:23 AM

so i guess no one has any responses to this question. In the beginning i found this site to be helpful, but apparently my questions are not good enough to merit any responses, So I guess I will go elsewhere.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Sorry no one has replied to your question. There hasn't been a lot posting on the site for a few days. I don't know anything about your tiller, but I would love to have one for my 990. I hope that someone will answer your questions, so stick around and let's see what we can come up with :thumbs: .

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hopefully someone will have the info you seek. Being that it's the weekend, a lot of people are busy with thier familes and personal lives and may not have time to enjoy our great site or have the time to post. It also may be that no one that has seen your post has the info you seek. The older MTD models are on my "want to own one list" and I've been keeping my eye's peeled for one for years. I don't see them very often and have never seen one with a tiller unfortunatly. The vast mojority of our members here are pasionate about our hobby and enjoy helping others and providing info if they have it. Good luck with your search.

Edited by broken2, February 17, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#5 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 02:49 PM

so i guess no one has any responses to this question. In the beginning i found this site to be helpful, but apparently my questions are not good enough to merit any responses, So I guess I will go elsewhere.

Personally, if no one knows the answer for sure, I'd rather not have any response to a question than to have several people just guess.  Remember not everyone checks the forum every day, especially on weekends.  I just usually ask and wait a couple days then bump the thread again just to make sure everyone saw it.  If no one answers I assume no one knew the answer.  Tillers for the MTD GTs aren't super common and maybe no one on here has any personal experience to relate.  Also, the MTD section here doesn't get a whole lot of activity but there are several people here who really know their stuff.  I don't know the exact model tiller your tractor would take but if I had to guess.... I would suspect it would be this one (or very similar) that can be found in the manuals section of this website under MTD and implements.  http://gardentractor...-rotary-tiller/  Hope that helps.

Edited by Canawler, February 17, 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#6 61Gold OFFLINE  

61Gold

• Member No: 8052
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Just wondering if anyone has a shaft drive rear tiller for an older MTD garden tractor, like one that would go on my 1972 Wizard 10HP. I would like to find one, and would like to see a pic or 2 of one so I am for sure what I am looking for. And also any feedback on how well it performs? Thanks!

I have 2 tillers for my MTD 990 Farm Kings which are shaft drive. They run off the front pto. I do not know if they would fit on your 72 Wizard, My oldest Farm King is a 74 with a 16hp and it works good on it. I use them to till 2 gardens I have, and they perform very well. I do know they are not easy to find. If you have any questions I will try to help you out if I can.

• broken2 and pwombles have said thanks

#7 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:03 PM

So i looked in the manual section earlier and found the manual that I was needing. looks like the hydro model used a longer pto shaft than the gear shift model. That appears to be the only difference. says that Tiller #194-966A is the one for mine. Sure would like to find one! Anyone??? Thanks for the responses. Cabin fever is really starting to get to me. waiting for the weather to get better so I can start on a new shop. This one is going to have heat and air. no more boring winters or hot summers!

#8 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have 2 tillers for my MTD 990 Farm Kings which are shaft drive. They run off the front pto. I do not know if they would fit on your 72 Wizard, My oldest Farm King is a 74 with a 16hp and it works good on it. I use them to till 2 gardens I have, and they perform very well. I do know they are not easy to find. If you have any questions I will try to help you out if I can.

any pictures of them? I know you cant use 2 of them at the same time! lol

#9 61Gold OFFLINE  

61Gold

• Member No: 8052
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 10:12 PM

any pictures of them? I know you cant use 2 of them at the same time! lol

These are the only pictures I could find right now, the tillers are in storage untill spring.

Tractor2 Tiller.JPG Tractor2 Tiller2.JPG Tractor2 Tiller1.JPG

• broken2, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 10:21 PM

I wish I could find one of those, I have been looking for a couple years now.

Thanks for posting pictures. :thumbs:

• pwombles said thank you

#11 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Yes, thanks for the pictures! Wish I could find one too! Good to see what I am looking for now!

#12 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 03:29 PM

In the MTD catalog / parts, the tillers for the gear drives are a different part number and model than the hydro. I don't know if shaft length is the only difference or not, the hydros mount off of the axle and the gear drives come off of the 3pt pins ,which are behind the axle on the frame, the hydro also has larger diameter wheels to clear , so what i'm saying is the brackets for mounting maybe different as well as shaft length. Like Jim said ,there kinda hard to come by, I've only ever had a chance at one .

I see that 61golds' tiller mounts on the 3pt, the one I ran accross must have been either earlier or wrong , it looked like it mounted like the bolens. Have to look at my big bolens tiller maybe some modifications are over due.

Edited by HALFSCALE, February 19, 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#13 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:02 PM

I went through my White liteture and it doesn't say one way or the other about the tillers other than shaft length. But I got a chance to look through Dads stuff and found a 1976 Mtd  catalog that calls out the tiller option had to be used with a three 3pt.

One thing the White liteture does have that the Mtd manuals don't ,is the length of the adjustable lift rods for each of the options, like the disc, cultivator ,tiller and plow are all different.

Since Mtd tillers are so hard to come by, it really looks like you can fab a bolens heavy tiller and use a mower deck drive shaft lengthed to make it work.

#14 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 07:54 PM

There's tons of the older Bolens Tube frame tillers around and TONS of old decks and deck drive shafts.Bolens Large frame tillers are pretty hard to find around here.I've been looking for one,for a couple years and the only one I found had a cracked case and no drive shaft.

#15 krowden OFFLINE  

krowden
  • Member No: 10717
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:45 AM

I think I have a rototiller similar to the one shown.. but I'm not sure about the 3pt hitch setup. It does have a drive shaft.

I'll have to check on how to post pictures...

• Sawdust said thank you