49 replies to this topic

#31 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 11:15 AM

LPBolens I'm psyched as I think you have answered my 4 year question of how to hook mine up. I think I have all the pieces I need except for that triangle looking piece and the other rectangle mount bracket which I think may go to the york rake?  Here are my pieces.

If possible could I get dimensions for the triangle piece?

Also, it looks like the rectangle bracket in your picture that is sitting alone near the triangle bracket may be the same width as the one that is connected to the blade. If so, could you give me the measurement of the length of the legs as I could probably make my own. I posted a picture of that bracket with yellow to indicate what I am talking about.

This setup would work great on my gravel driveway. It would also look really nice mounted on my restored 853.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07824.JPG
  • DSC07825.JPG
  • DSC07826.JPG
  • DSC07827.JPG
  • DSC07828.JPG
  • DSC09534.JPG
  • DSC09535.JPG
  • DSC09536.JPG
  • bracket.jpg

Edited by Husky, March 22, 2016 - 11:40 AM.

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#32 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 12:33 PM

Actually, the two rectangular brackets are not quite the same. If you look closely, you can see that the bracket that is mounted to the blade has tabs on it that are welded to the side of the horizontal sides. You can confirm the different widths by measuring outside-to-outside of the front axle tabs and the same measurement for the rear axle tabs. I can get measurements for both for you, and a diagram of the triangular piece. On that, note the curved section that allows clearance for the engagement rod on the lift lever.

• Husky, blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#33 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Are the tube frame blades designed to always float our will the achieve down pressure with the hydraulic lift kit?
  • blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#34 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Thank you Doug. I really appreciate the information and diagram. As far as tube frame tractors go there is no down pressure. But with a sharp cutting edge on the blade it should still dig in just like the front mount plow does without down pressure. 

• blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#35 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Here are some more pics of the pieces to mount the blade in different positions on the tractor. one pic shows the triangular piece mounted on one of my Tube Frame parts tractors so you can get an idea of how it is done.

Some of the pics I tried to take straight down which seems to have resulted in the impression that the dimensions don't quite get to the next inch mark. That is actually an artifact of the camera position.

The inside spread between the upright tabs on the bracket is the same as the outside-to-outside measurement across the rear axle tabs. As a result, Hydro-Speed seems to have bent the sides of the bracket in to accommodate that. In the pic, having that bend is not an artifact of the camera angle.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hydrospeed_Grader_0002.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0010.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0011.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0012.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0013.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0014.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0015.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0016.JPG
  • Hydrospeed_Grader_0017.JPG

• 1967bolens collector, teapot, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#36 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Doug this is amazing stuff. I was out in my shed tonight looking over all my stuff for this and I just came in and found your info here. I am going to print all these pictures so that I can fabricate the angle piece and the front axle mount bracket. Now I'll just need to figure out just how to connect it up. If you get it hooked up please post a few pictures I'm sure we would all love to see it. Mine will end up on my 853. Not so sure how well it would work on a 1556 with hydraulic lift as  you don't have the height control that you get with a manual lift. 

#37 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 10:22 PM

Based solely on the brochure, Hydro-Speed claimed the blade could be used on either manual or hydraulic lift. I uploaded a scan of an updated brochure last night under Bolens brochures in the Manuals section. It is very similar to, but not identical to, the one that was already there.

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#38 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:36 AM

I doubt this will help, but here is something I found on CL

http://milwaukee.cra...5499915515.html

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#39 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:04 AM

Doug your manual is the best one I've seen. It has great detail. I can now see exactly how this thing hooks up. I can see that I'm only missing the front mount bracket,  triangle piece and the connector from the triangle piece down to the mid mount frame. I'll fabricate those pieces. Thank you for all the measurements and for the manual. This post will help anyone who has one of these units and is missing pieces  :dancingbanana:

• LPBolens and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#40 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:11 PM

Doug your manual is the best one I've seen. It has great detail. I can now see exactly how this thing hooks up. I can see that I'm only missing the front mount bracket,  triangle piece and the connector from the triangle piece down to the mid mount frame. I'll fabricate those pieces. Thank you for all the measurements and for the manual. This post will help anyone who has one of these units and is missing pieces  :dancingbanana:

Did you notice in that manual that the 900 in the lower picture had a lift lever on both sides of the tractor???

#41 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 01:21 PM

Some clever cut & paste!

• Husky and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#42 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 03:36 PM

Interesting information - thanks for sharing.  Looking at the brochure none of the lift linkage appears to be slotted so theoretically a bit of down pressure could be applied to the blade with either the hand lever or hydraulic lift.  It is also informative that the notched blade was offered with the optional second lever - I wonder if Bolens or Hydro Speed made the lever kit and if it was only offered for the notched blade?  It looks like the notch at the top of the blade in the lower pictures on page 2 was to allow rear mounted attachments with a drive shaft (such as the tiller shown) to be used without removing the blade or in combination with the blade if needed.

Edited by 29 Chev, March 23, 2016 - 04:23 PM.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#43 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 04:45 PM

Good observation Chev that could very well have been an add-on. What a rare piece that would be to find. Or they out smarted us with that cut and paste  :D

#44 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 04:56 PM

I do not believe it is a cut and paste.  If you read the text it states "Separate lever assembly lifts blade"  as per attached picture.   Finding the end plates mentioned would probably be "rare" as well. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Notched Blade Assembly Smaal.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, March 23, 2016 - 04:59 PM.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#45 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:45 PM

That would be such a useful tractor! Till and level you yard all at once, just need a seeding trailer behind the tiller. I know my yard could use this set up!

Edited by AA Hayes, March 23, 2016 - 05:46 PM.