FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:01 PM

First off, for $20.00 at Tractor Supply, you can buy 10 feet of #40 roller chain for the 10/12 snow blower.  For another $2.99, you will want to grab a package or master link's for the chain.  This will give you enough to build two brand new chains, and if you want, there is enough to almost make a third (or repair the broken / rusted one for a back up spare)  My chain that broke had been fixed twice before with master links somewhere down the line, so it was best to just replace it.  This blower head will be my back up when the one I have been rebuilding is finished, and that needed a new chain too.  This gives both heads brand new chains, and using about 8" from the broken chain, I used the left over to create a spare back up.

Lesson # 2...  Did anyone know that those dang idler gears have offset holes on the bracket!?  They will bolt up , but if installed upside down, the teeth on the auger gear will just lightly hit the idler gear!  This will give you a hellish growl and will drive you nuts trying to figure out WHY it does it ONLY when everything is tightened up! 

Too bad I only found it  after running the blower to see if it would quiet down, and saw the wear damage to the auger gear!  Not ruined, but severe life span removed!  Still fine as a back up, and maybe I will look for a new gear once the other on is finished.

But seeing as how the forecast has another 3"- 4" for this weekend... I wanted to get it going tonight.  On a side note, it sat all week and with the new starter, she is back to firing to life at dead idle and no choke like she used to!  That makes me VERY happy!  I run Sea-Foam in my fuel all year long, and the carb build was just 3 years ago... I thought it had to be done again the way it's been so hard to start the last year.  It's all been due to the voltage drop and slowing starter!

• MH81, JDBrian, IHCubGuy and 4 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Good to know. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I will have to warn Ryan about the offset if he ever replaces his chain.

#3 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Great to hear things are back to operable condition.  Really sorry about the mishap with the gear alignment.

#4 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the pricing info on the roller chain.  I would have figured it to be way higher than that for a 10ft roll.  I need to get some for my 620 as I have had the old soaking in my parts cleaner tank for over a month since I took the blower apart and its still rusted tight.  On the idlers I found that out when I put them back on.  I painted the inside of the blower housing and forgot to look at the wear mark from where they had been bolted on before.  Well when I put them in and turned it over by hand to see how it worked I heard it right away and saw they were backwards and changed them.  So far on mine I got new bearings in the auger and new idler sprockets on.  Plus I have the inside of the housing painted and the rest of it in primer.  I used JohnDeereElfmans serial number plate cleaning trick (steel wool and WD40) on the pieces that are plated and not painted to clean them up and it worked EXCELLENT!  Only thing that I couldnt use it on was the skid shoes as they WAY to rusty to do it.  They just got wire wheeled and will be painted black instead. 

Sorry for rambling on about my blower.  Glad to hear your getting the problems sorted out with yours. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:25 PM

Are you planning to go to the April tractor and truck flea market on RT 12 in Plainfield in April? There are usually lots of odd parts for sale. I am not familiar with Seafoam but I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil since 1967 with excellant results. Its on sale at Bennys in Dayville next week. Good Luck, Rick

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 02:52 AM

imagesCATOTBQB.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Sounds like you have a great setup with a complete backup blower. I know chain is still remarkably cheap when bought in rolls like that. I recently bought a JD 49 thrower that needs a refit and priced the #50 chain and sprockets locally. Reasonably priced, which is good considering anything I need to buy directly from JD will be very pricey.