First off, for $20.00 at Tractor Supply, you can buy 10 feet of #40 roller chain for the 10/12 snow blower. For another $2.99, you will want to grab a package or master link's for the chain. This will give you enough to build two brand new chains, and if you want, there is enough to almost make a third (or repair the broken / rusted one for a back up spare) My chain that broke had been fixed twice before with master links somewhere down the line, so it was best to just replace it. This blower head will be my back up when the one I have been rebuilding is finished, and that needed a new chain too. This gives both heads brand new chains, and using about 8" from the broken chain, I used the left over to create a spare back up.
Lesson # 2... Did anyone know that those dang idler gears have offset holes on the bracket!? They will bolt up , but if installed upside down, the teeth on the auger gear will just lightly hit the idler gear! This will give you a hellish growl and will drive you nuts trying to figure out WHY it does it ONLY when everything is tightened up!
Too bad I only found it after running the blower to see if it would quiet down, and saw the wear damage to the auger gear! Not ruined, but severe life span removed! Still fine as a back up, and maybe I will look for a new gear once the other on is finished.
But seeing as how the forecast has another 3"- 4" for this weekend... I wanted to get it going tonight. On a side note, it sat all week and with the new starter, she is back to firing to life at dead idle and no choke like she used to! That makes me VERY happy! I run Sea-Foam in my fuel all year long, and the carb build was just 3 years ago... I thought it had to be done again the way it's been so hard to start the last year. It's all been due to the voltage drop and slowing starter!