• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 05:59 PM

I want to get one of THESE winches from HF to put onto the '71 1614 PK; first, what are your opinions on this winch? I have herd good things about it from this site. I will probably use it to pull logs, mostly. I will more use it to hook to the log and pull with the tractor, then to use the winch's power to pull logs. Would the winch have enough holding power for this?

I want to mount it onto the back of the tractor, just behind and low enough for the cable to clear the HITCH I made for it. That would not be hard to make, the part that is tricky, is making it able to turn 180 degrees to face forward. I thought a lot about whether I should put the winch in the front, or back. I wanted to be able to use it in both directions, I thought I would have to use pulleys, and I did not like that; then it hit me to just make it pivot! Since it is so far in the back, I will likely have to put some kind of guide in the front, but that is no big deal. What do you think would be the best way to make the winch pivot? I don't want it to be a job to do, I would like to just pop out a pin or two and rotate it. Any ideas?

#2 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Do something like I did with my plow. Cause I can still angle it

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Do something like I did with my plow. Cause I can still angle it

It is not going to lift a snow plow. I want to turn the actual winch.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Ryan, Here is what I did with the HF winch I got.  I mainly use it to lift the attachments on the back but I also use it to pull dead tractors out of my compound where I store them.  There is an up hill grade coming out of the compound and it pull them up and out of there on problems.

I have actually added a pully to the botton and route the winch hook back up to an eye bolt by the winch so when I'm  pulling something it is pulling at a lower level.

Left sid View of Winch.JPG

closeup of base.JPG

Button.JPG

Right side view of winch.JPG

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Ryan: Are you planning to permanently mount the winch? My thinking is that a winch like any electrical item biggest enemy is moisture and the elements. Had you considered mounting a receiver front and back and running a pigtail to both ends.Like a 2 inch trailer hitch. Then you could pull 1 pin and unplug the wires to use it on either end. It would also allow you to store it in the shed when not needed. Bill that is one clean installation.
  • IamSherwood, Michiganmobileman, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Bill, that is a good looking set up there!

JD, I had not thought about moving the unit from end to end. How critical is it to keep it dry? I understand that it will be affected by elements, but would it render it useless if it got wet? For people who have it on a trailer or off road vehicle I don't think they would take it off each time, but I don't know. Being that the winch would be primarily under the tractor (depending on how I mount it), I think it would stay pretty dry anyway.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 07:23 PM

As JD suggested, a winch that can be moved from back to front, is the way to go.

Set it up, just like a Reese Hitch. 1 pin, and a connector for the 12V.

It may take a bit more $ in the beginning to set up, but in the long run, you'll be glad

you did. Trying to pull yourself forward, from a winch mounted on the back, is looking

for a headache. You'll be jack-knifed all over the place.

#8 icpik OFFLINE  

icpik

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Have you thought about mounting the winch on the tractor side of a boom pole or the top?  You would have to mount a pulley on the end of the boom.  If you plan to drag logs, you will need to get the front end of the log off the ground, and I don't think the winch will do this by itself.

Don Hayes

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Bill, that is a good looking set up there!
JD, I had not thought about moving the unit from end to end. How critical is it to keep it dry? I understand that it will be affected by elements, but would it render it useless if it got wet? For people who have it on a trailer or off road vehicle I don't think they would take it off each time, but I don't know. Being that the winch would be primarily under the tractor (depending on how I mount it), I think it would stay pretty dry anyway.

Ryan I am sure the winch would be somewhat water proof. But You can be sure water is going to get into the works, corrode stuff and render the winch a problem. You live in an area where you can count on rain and moisture a lot.
If you lived in Arizona it might not be something to be concerned with.

Another point in favor of the receiver mount is that it is less likely to get stolen in a shed.
I have known several guys lose them off their trailers while the trailers were parked.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 15, 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Watch using the tractor to pull with the winch cable. If the log catches on something, kiss the winch goodby. Use the winch for it's intended purpose. Hook a chain to the log to drag with the tractor.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:07 PM

sorry  didnt mean the lift part of the plow   i meant the angle.   you could mount it on a steel plate weld a plate verticle to it with a series of holes and that will help it face any direction you want in a 90 degree angle the take a  2 steel pipes one slightly smaller to fit in the other and that will give you 360* rotation and height adjustment

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Watch using the tractor to pull with the winch cable. If the log catches on something, kiss the winch goodby. Use the winch for it's intended purpose. Hook a chain to the log to drag with the tractor.

I agree with Kenny on this.  I had one of these winches, and they won't take the abuse of pulling the logs.  The internal  brakes aren't nearly strong enough.  I don't think you'd have to even hook the log into anything for the winch to break.  It's good for pulling the tractor out of a mud hole, but that's about it.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Will, if I had a guide in the front to keep the cable straight, would it not be the same as if the winch was in the front?

Kenny and Daniel, maybe I could just use it just to pull logs to the tractor? There are a lot of times when there are things preventing me from getting close to a log; when that happens it can be a real pain to hook up 30 feet of chain, just to go a short distance and shorten it to 20 feet, then repeat until I have it close. Maybe I am just asking to much of the little winch? Maybe I should just stick to the way I do things now?

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Gotta love a winch for all kinds of reasons.One thing we learned real early was that it's better mounted too low than too high when pulling a drag. That funny, "world's not quite right feeling" is you, laying your rig on it's side with you on it when you corner too short! lol  Another learning experience is getting cracked on the back of the head with a broken chain link---- if at all possible use one of those flat nylon tow straps or a braided tow rope.  Chains are ugly.

#15 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:30 PM

For skidding logs I think a log skidding arch would actually make life simpler. As for water on the winch I've had a HF 2k lb on my Suzi wheeler for several yrs and it gets plenty of snow on it when I'm plowing and it just keeps working even w/ the snow on it melting when it gets parked in the garage.

After thinking a bit, you could mount the winch atop the arch w/ a receiver setup and use it to pull the logs up to the arch, then have a short chain w/ a slip hook to attach the log to the arch thereby taking the strain off the winch for pulling the log. You could also install receivers front and back on the tractor to make the winch more versatile.

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, February 16, 2013 - 02:40 PM.