caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Well, I made a trade of the rototiller in the post called "ID it" in the outdoor power equipment forum for this Wheel Horse 312-8. As has been my luck, the serial number "sticker" (&^#$*%) is unreadable! This one sat outside for approximately 7 years. When it arrived, the steering was stuck, the engine was stuck, the clutch and brake pedals were stuck...Maybe I should call it the sticky horse...

DSCN1744.jpg
DSCN1751.jpg

I got the steering and the engine freed up and started on the pedals, but I think that they're gonna need a little more work. Naturally, the battery is out to lunch, but it still has water in it and the sides aren't bulging, so I threw it on the charger for the night...just in case. The muffler is shot too. If nothing else, I've got some spare parts for the other two.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1745.jpg
  • DSCN1750.jpg
  • DSCN1749.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 08:04 PM

Congrats Looks like you made a good Deal!

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:25 PM

I'd have definitely traded for the WH also!

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 10:13 PM

Looks great Caseguy, Did it come with free mice also? Glad you got the motor and the steering turning. When do we hear it run?

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 04:37 AM

Congratulations,solid lookin' tractor.

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 05:57 AM

That looks like it should make a good tractor for you as it is already stuck on you!!! I think you made a good trade, even if the Wheelhorse needs attention.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 25, 2010 - 08:05 PM

Thanks guys! After digging into it a bit, there may be more fun to come. The wiring harness has a lot of issues (none of them mouse related I'm glad to say, LOL), but mechanically it seems better than fine. This may end up as a parts donor, or maybe a future project if I get another in worse shape. IDK, but I'm happy with the trade.

#8 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:59 PM

I'd be happy with that, time spent on it would keep a guy out of trouble lol.

#9 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 03:09 PM

Post all the numbers of the engine including the serial number. Sometimes the tractor's model number can be determined with them.

Garry
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Garry. I'll do that next time I get to the barn!

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 07:16 AM

So, hows it coming? Still sticky?

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 11:16 PM

The co-worker that I got this tractor from was a good man and a good friend who passed away earlier this year. I plan to do a complete restoration on it and dedicate it to his memory with a plaque.
After 9 years of sitting, today was the day that she woke up! When I got it, I worked some on it until I saw that it needed a muffler. It was about that time that Olcowhand had a thread about building his own muffler for a GT. That started me to thinking that I'd like to give it a try. I decided that I wouldn't finish the repairs and get it running until I made the muffler for it. I do things like that from time to time as a way to set goals for myself. Fast forward to this weekend, and I did a few of the things that I was planning all along. Some of the original parts have gotten borrowed for other tractors along the way, so I had to replace several of them with parts from an actual parts machine that I picked up a while back. The wiring was and still is a mess, so I straightened up what needed done for it to run, changed the oil, installed a new spark plug, and put a battery in it. It wouldn't start with the key switch (I kinda figured it wouldn't after all the sitting. I'm thinking it's one of the safety switches, just haven't nailed down which one yet.) so I jumped a wire to the hot side of the coil and jumped the solenoid with the wrench that I'd been using. It cranked a few times and roared (gently thanks to the new muffler) to life! (You gotta love them old Kohlers! :dancingbanana: ) No smoke and she runs like a champ. Tons of compression and snappy response to the throttle! It would seem that she was just itching for someone to try.
I will get some updated pics a little later on in the week as I progress with the getting her back into shape part of the restoration. I want to get it not only running, but driving as well so I can run through all her paces and see what all she may need. I think it's going to be a great tractor!
For a look at the new muffler, click here!

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 12:49 AM

Steve, glad to hear it's running with so little needed. Was this the one with all the water in the tranny?

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 03:57 AM

Glad she came to life for you! Hope there aren't too many problems that arise!

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 06:58 AM

Steve, glad to hear it's running with so little needed. Was this the one with all the water in the tranny?

Yes, over a gallon if I remember right. I flushed it with kerosene Saturday night, the put another couple of quarts in and let it set over night. After I got the engine running, I ran it through all of the gears (up on the blocks of course) to get the kerosene around a little better. When I drained it, there was a lot of crud that came out, but no more water. I have a set of wheels to put on it, so I'm gonna fill it with 90W today and maybe even take it for a spin!