6 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Has any one ever Built a plow like a brinly plough ? Up here in canada where we live in igloos and drive Dog sleads to work IMO its dang hard to find Attachments for Gt's especially Plough's Im looking for some thing smaller 10-12 to pull has any one Ever Built one from scratch ...  ? if so where should i start .?

cheers

Ty

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:16 PM

That would be alot of work. I made a plow for my Wheelhorse many years ago. I took an old horse drawn plow, cut it down to the size I thought that I wanted. I then made a piece to adapt it to the GT. It didn't work to well because my soil is too stony. Good Luck

In those days horse drawn implements were worthless.

Edited by boyscout862, February 14, 2013 - 10:18 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:29 PM

You might get really lucky and find an old twin 14 inch plow you could somehow cut up and cut down.  It would be a lot of effort.  Horse-drawn might be a better match size wise.   It used to be that there was some real art and craftsmanship put into a plow so it would polish and the soil would slide off properly.  I don't know if modern steel would need that sort of art and craftsmanship to create one completely from scratch.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:35 AM

Has any one ever Built a plow like a brinly plough ? Up here in canada where we live in igloos and drive Dog sleads to work IMO its dang hard to find Attachments for Gt's especially Plough's Im looking for some thing smaller 10-12 to pull has any one Ever Built one from scratch ...  ? if so where should i start .?

cheers

Ty

I've been looking for a plough for years and know exactly what you mean.  They seem slightly more common in your neck of the woods than mine too, according to Kijiji ads. 

If you decide to build one from scratch, I'd suggest getting measurements/plans from an existing one and just building a copy.

#5 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:40 AM

Well decide what you want. Deeper the plow, the more you turn over, but the harder it'll pull. Do you want to just get some loose soil or turn it over and bring up old nutrients?

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:21 AM

I had the same problem there just isn't any for sale and if there is there gone almost instantly so the first one I made from scratch for a cat 0 tph and let me tell you it was a lot of work.I used a piece of 1/8" inch plate and set it onto a old plough that I had and hit it with a hammer untill it was shaped properly.I used a old rear axle/hub from vehicle for the wheel and used a leaf spring for the ploughs share /cutting edge.It was a lot of work to build from scratch.The bigger one was thats a cat 1 was a lot easier.I picked up a old horse plough at a yard sale for $5 it was in rough shape.I had to fix the share /cutting edge on it as well.I just cut the beam down to what I wanted,made my mounting frame,made it so it bolts together so I can adjust it if I need to.It works really well.I have stony grd and let me tell you it will bring up the big stones ,if the stones are to big the tractor just stops and spins out then I use the forks on the front end loader to dig them out.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pictures 262 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 264 (Small).jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 07:42 AM

hi gents i had been looking for a brinley plow for years, i was always a day late, or someones coming to pick it up saturday, sound familar? i said that was enough and i posted a want ad in all the free papers in my area and presto, 6 weeks later i have an 8 a 10 and a 12 inch brinley and a brinley disc. forget the chase, let the seller call you, most of the time they see your ad and remember that old piece sitting in the shed long forgotten

• MH81 said thank you