• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Glad you got it all opened up, :thumbs:  but I'm sorry you didn't find your pot of gold in there. :wallbanging:

I guess you'll just have to keep working a while longer.. :poke:

I was waiting for the day I would try and log on and an error message would read " Site no longer exists" Then I would have assumed George hit it big when he opened it :D

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:15 PM

Good news you got it open, and sorry you didn't find a gold brick or even better, a bunch of JD parts in there...

Was there anything under the false bottom?

#33 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 07:40 AM

NUTNDUN Congratulations on opening it. Bicycle spokes was a great idea. When there isn't much to lose, I like to try all kinds of things.

Now its MYBIGWARWAGONs turn. Turn those scrap safes into useable safes( but only if the door is open).

#34 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:35 PM

I love the artwork on these old safes. Very skilled sign painters that knew every method and trick available at the time.

#35 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:47 PM

We picked up the two locks and their new keys today for the safe. I still have two more of the locks to take and get keys made but they are the ones for the two wooden drawers. Going to try and get the locks installed back on it tomorrow possibly.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 12:15 AM

Congratulations on getting it open. Also I didn't notice a water line anywhere and there doesn't seem to be any moisture damage.

You could turn a fire hose on that safe and your things would be dry inside. All those right angle corners in the jam would keep the water and heat from reaching the inside. Submersion would be a different story. 

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 04:58 AM

Better get the locks in there and lock up the BH before Brian (TD&H) gets there! Just don't forget where the keys are hidden!

#38 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:25 PM

I figured I would post this on there as some of you guys might even know some information for me on these old safes.

The previous owner of the house left it here. Don't blame him as the thing has to weight over a 1,000 lbs and only way out is through the cellar steps and it would not be fun. The front door was open in the locked position so it couldn't be closed. We had spun it so the door was facing the wall and the kids couldn't pinch their fingers in it. That is how it sat since we have lived here and never gave the thing much thought. 

My one coworker mentioned that he was looking to get a bigger safe. I was joking around telling him that we had a large safe down in the basement but didn't know how he would ever get it out without spending a good bit of money doing it. He had brought up about if it was an old York Safe that they tend to be worth more than some of the others. I knew the safe had some artwork on it but didn't remember how much or the name that was on it or if it even had a name.

Fast forward to just the other day. I went down in the basement and used a 2x4 to spin the safe so the casters were pointing perpendicular to the wall and exposed the front door. Walked around to the front of it and here it was a York Safe. There is an inner door that has a key type lock and it is closed and locked. 

I took a bunch of pictures of it and took them into work so my coworker could check them out. I was bound and determined to get the thing open. I really don't think there is anything in it. The previous owner of the house built the place in 73 and this safe is probably from 1880 to 1890. I think he might have bought it at an auction at some point.

I was able to figure out the combination on the front door. I took the back of the lock and panel off the back of the front door and studied the wheels and the rotations to see what it took to get the gates lined up. I knew the dial closest to the inner part of the safe was the first number of the combination.

It is a 5 number combination but the last number only puts the fence into the gate moving the bolt and allowing it to open. I am going to call a locksmith tomorrow to see about having them come out and pick the inner door lock.

I will attach some pics of the safe.

It would be SAFE to say That George Has a SAFE! :wave:

#39 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 05:54 AM

A small town I used work at, had a bank that went broke back in the '30s. The building sat empty for years and finally burned down in the '50s. Well the city cleaned up part of it, but left quite a bit to clean up. In the rubble was an old safe. The safe has sat outside in the weather for close to 30 years. They hired a guy to clean up the property and told him could have the safe and whatever was in it. The combination and keys were long gone.

Well the guy used a grinder to cut a hole in the side of the safe reached in and felt a sack. He broke out in a cold sweat.

After cleaning it out,he found numerous old stock certificates, (most were worthless), and several thousands dollars (face value)in old bills, since the bank had gone out in the 1930's, nothing was newer than about that. These bills were from banks like Wichita, Joplin , St. Louis, this was back when each bank issued there own money. He also found handfuls of coins, all silver.

True story.

Edited by Amigatec, March 07, 2013 - 05:57 AM.

• MH81 and tractorgarden have said thanks

#40 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 07:52 AM

A small town I used work at, had a bank that went broke back in the '30s. The building sat empty for years and finally burned down in the '50s. Well the city cleaned up part of it, but left quite a bit to clean up. In the rubble was an old safe. The safe has sat outside in the weather for close to 30 years. They hired a guy to clean up the property and told him could have the safe and whatever was in it. The combination and keys were long gone.

Well the guy used a grinder to cut a hole in the side of the safe reached in and felt a sack. He broke out in a cold sweat.

After cleaning it out,he found numerous old stock certificates, (most were worthless), and several thousands dollars (face value)in old bills, since the bank had gone out in the 1930's, nothing was newer than about that. These bills were from banks like Wichita, Joplin , St. Louis, this was back when each bank issued there own money. He also found handfuls of coins, all silver.

True story.

True story.

It is safe to say,that this is a cool story! To bad George did not find loot in his.

#41 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:29 AM

A small town I used work at, had a bank that went broke back in the '30s......

True story.

Why do all tall tales end in the words "true story?"

Just kidding :)
  • Amigatec and boyscout862 have said thanks

#42 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Why do all tall tales end in the words "true story?"
Just kidding :)

Well I know for a fact this is true, I saw some of the money.

#43 thepianolist OFFLINE  

thepianolist
  • Member No: 56252
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Just found this post about the old York safe. I have one from 1929 according to the sign-off card for the lock work and cabinet work I found in one of the draws. Not as nicely decorated as the one in this post but in pretty good original condition both inside and out. It has a neat inner vault with another 4 number combination. Found it in a used furniture store back in the 70's just down the street from me for $150.00 including changing both combinations and moving it to my house. I also got my 1916 Victrola XI from the same store for $25.00.

Some pictures inside and out here:

http://www.antique-l...o-S-amp-G-Locks

Bryant

• boyscout862 said thank you