• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Lock picking on older locks usually isn't hard just time consuming. I've succeeded only 1/4 of the time but it is an interesting challenge. I just use a small screw driver to put a little twist on the cylinder and a bent paper clip to play with the pins. Good Luck

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#17 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:58 PM

George, I hope you get it open before PA plowday,because I bet there is some vintage GTtalk sweatshirts inside! Good luck!
  • NUTNDUN and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#18 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:30 PM

I don't want to sell it and would like to use it. Would be cool if it is worth some money but I am more interested in the history of it and trying to find out more information on who G.W. Gross is. I know the Geo. W. Laucks is George Laucks who was the owner of the York Safe and Lock Co. and was the local York selling agent. He passed away in 1942 I believe and it wasn't long after that the company went under. Used to actually be where Harley Davidson is now.

That is cool George. I have been searching since you posted this lol.

Learning a lot about old safes and some great history. Like how York safe was bought out in 1946 by Deibold safe co. At the hand of Elliot Ness (The prohibition Agent)

I also didn't know the name put above the door was the name of the person the safe was made for.

I do see there were a few people named George Washington Gross born in York PA (Dover Township) And something else mentioning an Ort Mill?? in Dover York County PA? That the Gross name was tied to?

Maybe the safe came from this old Mill??

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#19 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:31 AM

I had a lock smith pick a lock last year, price was just under 100 bucks, with the right tools and knowledge he had it open in 2 minutes, travel time was most of the bill.

• NUTNDUN and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:40 AM

My wife and I lived less than 2 miles from our current home when we married 40 years ago. My Dad had a small farm where we lived. There was a farm equipment dealer in a small town about 4 miles from here. His name was George W Gross. I told George that would be the best possibility for the name on the safe. It would be great to find out for sure.

• NUTNDUN and olcowhand have said thanks

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:16 AM

That is a cool old safe, I too would wanna be able to use it just for cool factor is nothing esle.

For you history buffs, the Diebold and Mosler safe companies had factories in Hamilton, Ohio, pretty much next to each other. Just as of last month, the Mosler building was officially torn down and now a flat lot. The Diebold place had been torn down about 5 yrs ago and now has a small strip mall/Krogers there. Sad to see our town history gone.

• NUTNDUN and sacsr have said thanks

#22 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:30 AM

I don't want to sell it and would like to use it.

I think that's a good idea, George!

Most of the "safes" made and sold today are fire-rated, not fire-proof.   ....Many are light enough to be easily moved.

I believe these old safes are fire-proof because many of them were filled with refractory cement or fire-brick between steel shells.  ....Their weight prevents them from being easily stolen.

However, I don't think these old safes were water-tight.  ....If there is ever the chance your basement could get flooded, it may be worthwhile to elevate the safe on solid masonry units or on a steel stand.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, February 15, 2013 - 09:32 AM.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 10:42 AM

I think that's a good idea, George!

Most of the "safes" made and sold today are fire-rated, not fire-proof.   ....Many are light enough to be easily moved.

I believe these old safes are fire-proof because many of them were filled with refractory cement or fire-brick between steel shells.  ....Their weight prevents them from being easily stolen.

However, I don't think these old safes were water-tight.  ....If there is ever the chance your basement could get flooded, it may be worthwhile to elevate the safe on solid masonry units or on a steel stand.

I think you are right Bruce about the fire rating and being fire proof. It would take a long time for a fire to effect the contents of this safe. I don't think it is water proof either. It might be water resistant as it does have a seal on the outer door but if it was under water for a prolonged period I believe it would let water in.

Since our basement did flood the other year with about a foot and a half of water it has been partly under water before. You can barely make out the water line on the one side of it. I figure it adds to the patina LOL.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Bruce Dorsi and tractorgarden have said thanks

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I was thinking about how that inner door lock would work and right when we crawled in to bed last night I kind of jumped up and told the wife I think I have it figured out. So the lock picking sessions will begin tonight once I get home. I just gotta figure out where in the lock the bolt recess is so I can use a bent clip to keep tension on it while moving the levers around.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#25 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:11 AM

I don't want to sell it and would like to use it. Would be cool if it is worth some money but I am more interested in the history of it and trying to find out more information on who G.W. Gross is. I know the Geo. W. Laucks is George Laucks who was the owner of the York Safe and Lock Co. and was the local York selling agent. He passed away in 1942 I believe and it wasn't long after that the company went under. Used to actually be where Harley Davidson is now.

Israel Laucks was a founder of the company and his son S. Forry Laucks was the general manager while another son George W. was the sales agent, as mentioned.  Lauxmont Farms and Highpoint county park in Wrightsville were the estate of Forry.  If you've never been there, the view is worth a visit to the park.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#26 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:07 PM

I took some time tonight to work on picking the lock for the inner door. After thinking about it up till we went to bed last night and all day today I had an idea of how the lock worked and I just needed to make some tools to use to pick the lock. I took bicycle spokes since they are pretty strong and about the right size to get into the keyway. They worked out pretty good. I was able to get the lock picked in about 25 minutes. Sadly though there isn't anything in the safe other than a sticky note that was for the previous owner of the house. Obviously the previous owner had the keys and with it being a sticky note in there he was in it up to at least the 1990's if not more recent.

Here are some pics of the opened safe:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0032.JPG
  • DSC_0033.JPG
  • DSC_0034.JPG
  • DSC_0035.JPG
  • DSC_0036.JPG
  • DSC_0037.JPG
  • DSC_0038.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:08 PM

I am going to take the locks off the door and the drawers and take them into the locksmith and have keys made to fit them. Should be a lot cheaper now being able to take just the locks in to him.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden and boyscout862 have said thanks

#28 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Glad you got it all opened up, :thumbs:  but I'm sorry you didn't find your pot of gold in there. :wallbanging:

I guess you'll just have to keep working a while longer.. :poke:

#29 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Pretty cool. I have been offered a couple of old safes for scrap but I always turn them down due to the cement inside of them.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Glad you got it open! I'm sure it's a lot cheaper taking the locks in. Now, what treasures are we putting in there?

• boyscout862 said thank you