coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Found this the other day on the local CL. I already own 2 Ls and this made me want to get another one.

The best mower ever made! The best little garden tractor ever made!
All gear drive, transmission built to handle 45 HP. No cheap belt going to the drive wheels or transaxle, no cheap belt going to the mower deck. This means no irritating inconvenient belt maintenance for you. Belts break, Gravely gears don't break. It will climb a tree. And not too heavy to maneuver around, I used it 5 hours every Saturday when I was 8 years old.
7.6HP, (the straight up and down spark plug indicates it is the most advanced Gravely made engine and has 7.6 HP that is rated differently from the way they rate HP today. Trust me it is strong. The Gravely engine has some very advanced concepts included in the engine like full oil pressure so you can run it on a hill (They use Gravely's to mow the steep banks on the Panama Canal, only thing that will hold up)). The tractor is loaded with all the options that were offered.
4 speeds forward and 4 speeds in reverse, Swiftamatic. The small white handle, halfway down the right handlebar is for the two speed axel. The white handled lever on the left side if the handle is high speed and low speed and the far right white handle is for forward and reverse. The best geared tractor for a multitude of uses: very slow for pulverizing the garden soil (it crawls). Easily change gears to go faster and faster till you get to a speed that will quickly get you back to the house if a rain storm suddenly blows up (it's faster than I can walk). When going slow the PTO will keep the attachment going fast if you want to.
6 bolt mower deck, 30" cut bush hog blade good for 1" diameter trees (new 4 edge cutting blades available for $50.00. Honda mowers just came out with this novel four edge cutting blades concept last year as their main selling point).
Other options this tractor has include the highly desirable automatic governor (Honda is rumored to be shooting for 2015 to have this option), fuel shut off at the tank (box store machines don't have this and you need it to fight against the mixed vegetables they are sticking in the gasoline nowadays), the safer remote blade engagement and disengagement, good white handle grips with the shut-off cut out, remote motor kill switch at your fingertips for greater safety confidence, new fan belt, remote choke at your fingertips, converted to the new type filter that doesn't require you to oil it, new starter strap, oil pressure gage, (the tractor is running in the photographs and you can see the white oil pressure gage showing well) (ask the salesman at the place you bought your last mowing machine where the oil pressure gage is, LOL), kick stand so the machine stays balanced and supported while you are changing attachments, added frame for ball attachment and sulky hook up, and new skid bars on mower deck.
Always stored inside by me and by my dad when he was alive.
Recent total (everything was replaced or rebuilt that wasn't first rate) service at Ye Old Gravely shop...3 hours run time since service.
Parts? You can't get parts for your big box store mower but you can get all the parts you want for this Gravely. Ye Old Gravely shop in Hillsboro has been selling Gravelys for 50 years....think he knows his stuff! Can get any part you want. John Roberts is the Gravely place owner and he is a gentleman.
This Gravely starts by the second pull. OK, on most occasions it starts on the first pull, but I don't want to make look bad the box store cheep machines any more that I have already. Ok, just one more shot; to work on some of the new big box store machines you have to plug into the factory authorized electronic diagnostic machine outlet. the cost is just like the car dealerships who started this technique.
Everything works as it should. It is ready to go to work for you for the next 40 years. Why waste your money on a flimsy machine from the big box stores when you could have this true workhorse that will last 3 times as long as those machines and do 20 time the variety of work if you need it....The Gravely was the early farmers replacement for the hardheaded mule. The Gravely can do anything in your small garden that you need done.
No smoke, great oil pressure, clutches good, tires great. Ready to paint for total showpiece beauty. I like the original style of appearance.
Sulky available for $125.00. The sulky is not included in the $750.00 price.
You will not find a Gravely with these desirable features, in this great condition for three times this price.
I have reminded myself of a lot of things about my Gravely that I haven't thought of in a while that make me wonder why I am even going to sell this Gravely. Come get it quick before I take it apart and paint it.
Cash only, and I won't negotiate price over the phone with someone who hasn't even been out to see the Gravely.
My schedule is very flexible and I will meet you at the time you want to see the Gravely. I am easy to get along with and will give you whatever help I can. Guaranteed out the driveway (it's 50 years old, what do you expect).

• jpackard56, Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Great pitch. I'd go see it JUST TO MEET THE GUY!

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:38 PM

And every Gravely owner knows everything he said was true! 

He makes my sales writing look wimpy.  Where's he at: I need lessons!

Ben Wagner

• tractorgarden said thank you

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Ben, I thought you did a good job too.

This is yours, right?

3K73Gf3I95K15F55Mcd1ka42ca43ff31b126b.jp

Cold one, I want to contact this guy and see if he knows if John Roberts is still in business.  I was by Ye Olde Gravely some weeks back and it was locked up tight.  Looked like quite a bit of clean-up had happened around the building too, though stuff was still in the front area.

• superaben said thank you

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Here is the link to the CL ad.

http://raleigh.craig...3585442026.html

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Ben, I thought you did a good job too.

This is yours, right?

Yes, that is mine.  Thanks... I just didn't think I quite have the ad that the author above did! 

On another note, I am delivering it this morning to a gentleman who fell in love with it.  I marketed GTTalk to him as a good place for DIY support, so if he appears treat him nice!

I hate to see it go. I knew I had to sell it at some point... but darn!  It was too soon!  I've got to go find another now!

Ben W.

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Makes me want to go start mine up :D

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yes, that is mine.  Thanks... I just didn't think I quite have the ad that the author above did! 

On another note, I am delivering it this morning to a gentleman who fell in love with it.  I marketed GTTalk to him as a good place for DIY support, so if he appears treat him nice!

I hate to see it go. I knew I had to sell it at some point... but darn!  It was too soon!  I've got to go find another now!

Ben W.

Eye, your "L" was my second choice of purchase but the "Little Chief" had so much from "home" that it was not much contest this time around. I will find another L eventually, there is nothing built today that compares to what they can do clearing trails on a farm.

• superaben said thank you