• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chrisk OFFLINE  

chrisk
  • Member No: 27923
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:36 PM

i am looking at buying a dirt scoop that is a cat 0 with cat 1 pins.

can the pins be changed to cat 0?  if so - where can they be bought?

#2 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:50 PM

The pins can be changed.  In order to get the CAT 0 arms to attach, you may have to point the pins to the inside of the implement instead of to the outside.

For the top link, you may have to use a bushing/shim to bring that down to the CAT 0 size.

Here's a place that has CAT 0 draft pins for $6.00 ea.  You will have to scroll down a bit to find them.

http://www.xtrememot...rts 3 Point.htm

Edited by OldBuzzard, February 14, 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#3 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I bought pins at TSC last time I did this. The holes are too big also but they had spacers to make Cat 0 pins fit Cat 1 hitches so I got those and cut them at the length I needed and welded into the holes on the implement. After grinding to touch up and using washers it worked great.

KURTEE

Edited by Kurtee, February 14, 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:19 PM

If it's a Cat 0 scoop it should fit the hitch just fine. I've never seen a Cat 0 one though. I had a 24"one that was meant for small tractors and it was cat 1. I'd check the width to make sure the scoop will work with your hitch. It may not be possible to reverse the pins depending on the design. 

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:20 PM

I agree with Kurtee any taractor supply store should have the pins and bushings.

And Like Old Buzzard said on turning the pins in. I have the pins in on my category 1 and find it much easier to hook and unhook anyway.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:24 PM

I posted some pics of my dirt scoop on a cat 1 limited JD 3pt hitch here http://gardentractor...23/#entry272945 On that scoop, with that hitch it would not be possible to turn the pins inside. The arms would not clear the frame of the scoop. 

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 06:24 PM

If it's cat 1, just turn the pins in, as mentioned.  I got my last ones at John Deere since I was there anyway.  I got a set at Westward parts too.  

I just used washers to make up for the size difference on the holes, which worked okay for my rear scraper blade.  My s-tine had  cat 1 pins welded in place, so I had to cut those off and drill holes to install the new pins.  For something that lifts as much as a dirt scoop, you might want to go to class 8 bolt instead.  My rototiller came with bolts instead of pins, and I just assumed it was because it was heavy and rough usage. 

#8 chrisk OFFLINE  

chrisk
  • Member No: 27923
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 09:15 AM

thanks guys - i almost bought a new scoop when i found an old one locally - they are turning the pins in for me and changing to cat 0 - in the deal!!!  very excited to use it