#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 03:41 PM

I know this is off topic from the everyday GT but I have a problem with a zero turn I just bought. The starter turns over fine but no matter how much amps I put the starter it turns over stops, turns over stops. I have checked all of my grounds and made sure all of my terminals on the selenoid was clean. I can take the spark plug out and it spins great.

I have been doing small engine work for years and I am drawing a blank. Every time I had a starter that was bad it wouldn't work at all. I guess it could be the brushes in the starter could be a little rusty because I think it set outside for a while. I bought it for 100 bucks.

Oh yeah, It's a 15 hp Vanguard single cylinder OHV. It's a 2000 model. I'll get Model Type Serial. In a few minutes.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 03:49 PM

I'm not familiar to the Vanguard engines, but if they have an auto compression release(ACR) system like most, then it wounds like the valve clearances have worn too wide to where the ACR can't function, which will cause more compression than the starter can overcome.  Either that or the starter itself is worn & weak.

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ditto on the compression release and valve clearance. The Vanguard does have a compression release.

#4 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 03:54 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just didn't know if there was something I was missing. Sometimes I start to technical and miss small things.

#5 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:01 PM

I have one that does that. Its probably rocker adjustment. Mine starts OK on a hot battery, once it drops down a little it will just click if it is at TDC. Try giving it a little boost when it stalls out by turning the flywheel by hand (dont try this on the PTO side... its a good way to lose a finger)

#6 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I switched the engine over to a 20 hp opposing twin. I figured the extra hp couldn't hurt it. It's not factory but the engine I the engine I put on it is a way better engine.