Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Carlisle Turf Saver Tires 16x6.5-8nhs With (4 Lug) Rim

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:09 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cc6e41974

Considering the cheapest I've found just the tires is $35-$45ea. (before shipping) this is a great price. Tires still have nipples on them. I just picked up 4 of them, two for the Cub and two for the Kubota (the rims should work on the kubota too :smilewink: ). Guess I'll clean up the extra rims and sell them to a golf cart user.

Edited by twostep, February 14, 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Good buy. I just bought of track guards off ebay for that 4 ply . BUT THEY ARE STIFF AS A BOARD AND FLAT AS A PANCAKE.

Now I have to figure how to spread them a part .so I can mount them m.ight have to use tubes .

larryd

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Sorry Twostep but I don't know if I am missing something or what, but to me those tires look like they have beein on the wheel forever-they just look old. Oh it is a good deal and I hope they are what you are wanting and expecting. I do see that the tires still has the nipples-but.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, February 14, 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Good buy. I just bought of track guards off ebay for that 4 ply . BUT THEY ARE STIFF AS A BOARD AND FLAT AS A PANCAKE.

Now I have to figure how to spread them a part .so I can mount them m.ight have to use tubes .

larryd

If you have patience, one way to stretch the tire is to put one bead onto the rim. Then continue that same bead over the other side of the rim. This way the wheel is holding the beads apart. I usually spray the sidewalls and beads with silicone before starting. Let it sit for a few days and then try proper mounting. Removing the valve from the stem will allow more air into it.

Those tires are a rip off. I pick up free riding mowers and low priced lawn tractors with better tires. Collect free lawn mowers at the dump, fix them up and offer them for sale. Encourage trade ins. I usually will deliver it for free for the trade in. Many people are very happy with this arrangement. I will sell a few lawn tractors this way too. Once in a while the trade in is a real GT its just a matter of starting small and working your way up. The machines that can't be fixed become parts and tires doners. 

Edited by boyscout862, February 14, 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#5 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Maybe things are different up north but down here in the south (where people leave thier mowers/gt's outside a lot), any older/cheap/free mower has tires that are so dry rot cracked that most won't hold air. They'll have great tread... you just have to air them up every time you use them. That and 16x6.5-8 is a front tire size that is only on real GT's, it isn't found on the smaller mowers.

If you look close, there doesn't appear to be any cracking in the sidewalls which leads me to believe they are not that old. Add to it that he has a whole pallet of them and they are covered in dirt and rust... I am expecting these were hit with a high amount of salt water in the recent past, say maybe 3-4 months ago. Guess we'll see, I'll post up when they get here.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 12:06 PM

I have found those tires on the back of older lawn tractors and some of the better riding mowers. Up here we do get less sun and the majority of the tractors are sheltered. Most have died from; mice, old gas, or a broken belt. When a tire is in generally good condition but leaks a little air, I put slime in the tire. I break the bead and put it directly in and roll it around by hand. I avoid getting slime in the valve. I have noticed that a bunch of my 40+ year old tractors are having their valve stems break off.  Good Luck, Rick

#7 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Almost looks to me like maybe somebody started sandblasting the rims and then just put the tires and valves on before rims were done then they just sat around ?

Hope it works out for you, I never have much luck with used tires.

#8 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Considering the cheapest I've found just the tires is $35-$45ea. (before shipping) this is a great price.

Check out the lawn & garden section of the tires-easy website. Some of their prices hardly make it worth bothering with used tires.

#9 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Check out the lawn & garden section of the tires-easy website. Some of their prices hardly make it worth bothering with used tires.

If you dont mind chineese, you can get a new tire for $25 plus tax at Kmart. the ebay rusty rim stuff for $12 + shipping+ taking the tire off + sandblasting the wheel + priming the wheel+ painting the wheel+ remounting the tire, doesnt add up to me. If you are looking for a good used tire and a throw away wheel, it might make more cents

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:46 PM

larryd

Use short pieces of a 2" X 2" board, say 6" long to hold the tire spread open. Leave the tire in the sun (if possible) or at least inside where it is warm for a few days....This should help open the tire up some.

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the link. They do have some decent prices but the carlisles are still over $30 each in that size.

http://ssl.delti.com...f_Cart&dsco=135

If you dont mind chineese, you can get a new tire for $25 plus tax at Kmart. the ebay rusty rim stuff for $12 + shipping+ taking the tire off + sandblasting the wheel + priming the wheel+ painting the wheel+ remounting the tire, doesnt add up to me. If you are looking for a good used tire and a throw away wheel, it might make more cents

It's getting real hard to find USA made anything anymore so I will if I can. Luckily, I don't mind investing some sweat. That's the way I do everything since my time is cheaper than my cash. I'm still getting 4 tires for less than what 2 cost... and yeah, I don't need the rims so maybe I can get the golf cart guy down the road to reimburse me the shipping to get those rusty 4 lug rims.

Use short pieces of a 2" X 2" board, say 6" long to hold the tire spread open. Leave the tire in the sun (if possible) or at least inside where it is warm for a few days....This should help open the tire up some.

Running a ratchet strap around the center of the tred and tightening it down will help push out the beads too. Like this:

http://www.garagejou...ad.php?t=126083

#12 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the link. They do have some decent prices but the carlisles are still over $30 each in that size.

I figured you where looking for 4 ply but for those who only need 2 ply the price for the Carlisles is only $25 (+ tx and shipping)

It's getting real hard to find USA made anything anymore so I will if I can.

I hear you on that one.

Unfortunately, buying Carlisle brand isn't a guarantee of being USA made.  They own several tire factories in China.  You have to check the factory code on the sidewall.

Edited by Canawler, February 15, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#13 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 10:48 PM

I hear you on that one.

Unfortunately, buying Carlisle brand isn't a guarantee of being USA made.  They own several tire factories in China.  You have to check the factory code on the sidewall.

So how do I tell by the code where they are made?

Figured I'd give an update, these came in today and I don't believe they have ever been mounted or painted... the rims were bare steel and I still expect that they got a dose of saline. Not a spot on the outside of the rim is not rusted... if they had just gotten rained on then then mostly only one side would be rusted. Plus inside the tire and under the valve stem cap is spotless. Took me about 20 minutes to unmount two of them which is all I need right now.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0604.JPG
  • DSCN0605.JPG
  • DSCN0606.JPG

#14 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:01 AM

FYI golf car tires generally are 18X8.5x8.

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:06 PM

So how do I tell by the code where they are made?

Figured I'd give an update, these came in today and I don't believe they have ever been mounted or painted... the rims were bare steel and I still expect that they got a dose of saline. Not a spot on the outside of the rim is not rusted... if they had just gotten rained on then then mostly only one side would be rusted. Plus inside the tire and under the valve stem cap is spotless. Took me about 20 minutes to unmount two of them which is all I need right now.

Now that you can see them in person, I'm glad they're what you're looking for.
As far as tire codes go, on DOT approved car and truck tires there is a 10 digit (I think) alphanumeric code on one side of the tire. The first two digits represent the manufacturer and factory and the last four digits are the week of the year and year the tire was made.
I was just looking at some new Chinese tractor tires I bought recently and all they had was the date code and "made in China" molded in with no factory code. I also just got some Carlisle All-Trails and they have C43212 on the side so I'm assuming Carlisle uses a factory code followed by a date code. I'm waiting for a return email from them for confirmation. This website http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm has the tire factory codes. C4 shows as a Dico plant in Clinton, TN which I believe Carlisle acquired from Titan Tire. It's shown on Carlisle's website. The 3212 number represents that the tires were made during the 32nd week of 2012.
I'll also mention http://www.barrystiretech.com for everything you always wanted to know about tires.

Edited by Canawler, February 19, 2013 - 08:07 PM.