19 replies to this topic

#1 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10348
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:47 AM

The bevel gear I purcased locally Lasted for about 30 starts, Junk!     Is there knowledge of a better option? the one I purchased was a plastic like composite, really soft. photos attached. also it doesn't fully engage the flywheel. is that an issue, it has no play so it cant be advanced.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1020674.JPG
  • P1020675.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:52 AM

What engine is this on? That may help get to the root of the issue.

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:57 AM

What engine is this on? That may help get to the root of the issue.

Kenny is right someone may have put a defferent starter on the engine or not correct gear drive.

#4 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:10 AM

B&S  NO.-32647-03281-01

http://gardentractor...chased-mtd-990/

this one, from another topic

Attached Thumbnails

• mtd.JPG

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Some general conditions to consider: 1. How easily does the engine start? Does it kick back when trying to start? 2. What condition are the flywheel teeth? 3.Are the starter bearings in good shape? Is the starter tight to the engine and properly aligned? 4. Is it the correct starter? 5. Is the Bendix gear the correct one. 

I like the plastic Bendix gears because they don't wear the flywheel teeth. I've spent too many hours hand filing the ring gear teeth on trucks and tractors. A rebuilding kit with bearings, brushes, and Bendix gear may solve your problem.

Edited by boyscout862, February 14, 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#6 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:43 AM

1) Relatively easy, No kickback

2) Good, as far as I can tell.flywheel.JPG

3) Yes. there is no adjustment, it sits where the bolts allow.

4) I don't know if it is the right starter.

5) Well, it is the same Bendix that was on it when I purchased it( dia. & # teeth), but if it is the wrong starter...

I need to find a part # on the starter and compare

#7 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:53 AM

I have also found that incorrect valve lash will eat those plastic gears on B&S engines.

Also, you should replace the whole Bendix and not just the plastic gear.

Edited by gravely-power, February 14, 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#8 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Also, you should replace the whole Bendix and not just the plastic gear.

what exactly is the bendix, I thought it was just a gear?

#9 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:22 AM

what exactly is the bendix, I thought it was just a gear?

It's the whole starter drive gear assembly.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53f27f1d41

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Also there is two different starters that will fit.They are both identical from the outside EXCEPT one is longer then the other,which i assume translates to a stronger starter and i believe the cast iron big block Briggs should use the longer one.

#11 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 07:43 AM

They made several different Mounts for starters also.The older ones had a Flat base where most of the newer ones have grooves.I have also found that the newer replacement starters do not sit as close to the Flywheel as the original starter would.

1st pic is an original Flat base starter.

2nd one is a new style replacement starter.

3rd is a New style replacement starter with a different mount that sits closer than the flywheel like the Original starter.

There is a 4th kind with an aluminum mounting bracket but I can't find a pic.I have 1 of these in my shed.It has a 13 tooth Steel gear on it.

The newer starters are a little bit bigger around and shorter in length than the old original starters.The newer ones have the same torque unless you get one of those cheap $30-40 Stens starters.They aren't worth a darn.As a matter of fact I'll never buy Stens replacement parts again after getting 2 ignition coils and 1 starter that lasted about a week each.They're carb kits are OK but that's about it.

Attached Thumbnails

• $T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-8+BRG,4vKfzg~~60_57.JPG
  • $(KGrHqFHJFIFEFp)BrwUBRE--27FEg~~60_57.JPG
  • 5745nwh.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, February 16, 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 07:55 AM

They made several different Mounts for starters also.The older ones had a Flat base where most of the newer ones have grooves.I have also found that the newer replacement starters do not sit as close to the Flywheel as the original starter would.

1st pic is an original Flat base starter.

2nd one is a new style replacement starter.

3rd is a New style replacement starter with a different mount that sits closer than the flywheel like the Original starter.

The newer starters are a little bit bigger around and shorter in length than the old original starters.

That 3rd one looks like the mount holes are the wrong way!

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Yes it does.Didn't even notice that.Don't know what briggs engine that is off of but the part number crosses with a 9.5-16hp briggs engine.It's one of those cheap $32 starters on Ebay.

OH it's off of one of those New Briggs Intek series single cylinder engines. :wallbanging: :wallbanging: Something like those Honda clone engines you see in everything.

Any who the new starters don't fit the way the older ones do.If you can find an old starter and take the top bearing cap off and put it on a newer starter it will fit Alot better.I think they designed the new starters so they don't hang up on the flywheel teeth like the old ones used to.

You can take a grinder to the thing and take a little metal off and ream out the bolt holes so you can adjust it to fit better.I've done that a few times.

Edited by EricFromPa, February 16, 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#14 Kentrails ONLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Well... Upon further investigation I have found that it does kickback and has once again sheered all the teeth off the gear :wallbanging:. I have been pull starting it, old school stuff. I should get a book and do whatever needs done. "Valve lash"? Can someone recommend a publication?

The starter has no numbers but... it fits this description...

"There is a 4th kind with an aluminum mounting bracket but I can't find a pic..."]starter.jPG

Also the idle fluctuates, up... down... up... down. Maybe a carb rebuild kit? Thanks for all the help! :thumbs:

Edited by Kentrails, February 19, 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:34 AM

If it is kicking back I would check the Flywheel key 1st off.I put an aftermarket Stens Coil on MTD Fourteen hundred and it would kick back the when I go to start it.Once it did start it acted like the timing was advanced way to far.I checked the flywheel key but it is good.

I ended up putting the original Points coil back on and one of those Nova 2 ignition modules.It runs alot better but it does require me to crank it over a bit more than it should before it fires.I think the original coil is weak.I may put the Stens coil back on and take the flywheel off and try to adjust the Coil bracket to it isn't so far advanced.

I'm scratching my head on this one to.It kicks back awfully bad.Luckily I have a starter generator on my tractor and no nylon starter gear to sheer off. 

• Alc said thank you