jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Ah now that is one you can really appreciate when your done. The guys who say it's just a farm truck why are you going through all that?

Ya, they've obviously never had 6 ton's of hay behind them coming done the lane when some teenagers roar out of a fence row on motorcycles in front of them. Or maybe they've never watched from their bay window at lunch as the truck in slow motion runs down the ramp from the barn and ends up taking out the pig pen, a clothes line, through the garden and smack into their father-in-laws 2 month old car...oh it was in gear and shut off, but it was a warm day and those old worn low compression engines will tun over pretty smooth in just the right instance,  a working parking brake would have saved a few thousand in repairs... :wallbanging:

• Moosetales and larryd have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Ah now that is one you can really appreciate when your done. The guys who say it's just a farm truck ............................................................ a working parking brake would have saved a few thousand in repairs... :wallbanging:

Was this a "friend" of yours?  :smilewink:     Sounds like a life lesson to me!  :D  But just 2 months old???  :(

• Moosetales said thank you

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:04 PM

WOW! Great story.....tough lesson your "friend" learned. Bet he/she won't forget the lesson for along time.....or until the payments for the damages are paid in full. Wish I could say I've different than your "friend" alas I am NOT. :thumbs: Your "friend" is in good company here.

#6 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:47 PM

alright this is a 1951 international l-150, 152 if you want to get technical, it has a 220 straight six with a four speed manual trans and a two speed rear end. so far i have gotten it running by hot wiring it and adding a temp fuel tank. since the brake lines are full of junk and dirt i am redoing the whole system master cylinder rebuild, flushing lines and rebuilding all of the wheel cylinders. to get it street legal i need to replace the ignition switch, get new brake lights, new front blinkers, windows all the way around, and newer tires.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Wow That brings back memories. Did all that on a 1&1/2 ton 1946 chevy.  Never did like the old hucks style brakes.  Good luck on your project. Keep us posted.  Love the old work trucks.  :thumbs:   Rick

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I don't know what it is about old farm trucks but I think the brakes and steering are always needing work. I'm guessing the seals in the brake systems were rubber instead of synthetic and didn't hold up well and the fields and rough roads hammered the steering. 

#9 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:25 PM

the steering is tight and judging by the brakes and axle grease it didn't have many miles on a new brake job, what did it was dirt and sand plus rust that got into the system due to a bad master cylinder.

#10 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:21 PM

i got the rear hub i had a part, in pics, and took one of the front ones a part, sorry no pics, it needs a new wheel cylinder but thats it, im working on rigging up a bigger temp gas tank. the 1\4 gallon one i have on it now wont run this behemoth long enough to warm up.

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:45 PM

here is an international l-150 i am working on more info on it latter today

Sorry I missed this earlier! I dig old trucks, I have GMCs, but my first truck I ever bought was a 1955 International 100 shortbox pickup. It had a steel bedfloor which I thought was kind of unusual for a pickup from that era. Got it in 1973 and drove it several years. Wish I had a pic. The cab had that split rear window like yours. I especially liked the way the hood worked. you could open it to the right, left or pull both levers and take it off completely!

I will be following your progress on this old workhorse!

Later---DAC

Edited by MFDAC, February 27, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#12 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:08 PM

well i had a 5 gallon temp tank rigged up and i found out the fuel pump diaphragm is bad and you cant replace it. so i will be ordering an aftermarket mechanical fuel pump for 62 dollars a little cheaper then an electric and way cheaper, oh about $200, then a more original mechanical pump. haven't got the front wheel cylinder for the right or the kit for the left yet hope they will be here this week. soon i will take apart the other rear hub to get it rebuilt and ready to go.