37 replies to this topic

#31 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well Howard, then I won't be following the law, as I will never ask someone to pay for my fence if they have no need for one.   Around here most just put up their own fence.  I have one in poor shape between us & a couple land owners with no cattle or any form of livestock.  When I get to it, I plan to doze the old fence line out, then put up new....all on my tab.

Number 1)

I agree with you.

Number 2)

Law doesn't say you HAVE to ask your neighbor to pay, just that if the request is made in a proper form that the neighbor has to pay.  If you haven't asked, no one is breaking the law.

#32 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Howard, as to installed cost I have no idea.  I do all my own work, so no clue to hired costs.  I remember this guy getting a bit miffed because he couldn't just spray the countryside willy-nilly.   Guys like that give farmers a bad reputation!

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#33 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:40 PM

I remember this guy getting a bit miffed because he couldn't just spray the countryside willy-nilly.   Guys like that give farmers a bad reputation!

That sounds like one of those BTOs that thinks he can do anything he wants because he farms so many acres

#34 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm not going to even guess at the legalities.  Where I live there are actually different rules in different neighbourhoods if one homeowner lived there before the Unicity amalgamation.  When I was building fences for a living, I moved one three times before it was finished.  They are likely still fighting about it 15 years later.  Likely easiest to pay the money and let it slide...fights over fences get brutal in a hurry.

The price seems a little low for Canada, so it's likely in the ballpark for the US.  I'd call around a bit to double check though.

#35 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Wow! In my township you can't even put a fence on the property line. You have to observe the setbacks. When both neigbors want a fence, you get two parallel fences 10ft apart and then get to fight about who mows it.....

Edited by Canawler, February 14, 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#36 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I like Howard's way of thinking. It would seem that 3 or 4 strands would be sufficient and if he wants more let him bear the burden. I've had horses, pigs and cows, in my yard and owned none of them. When they started trampling my garden I visited with the neighbor and in short order the fence was redone and no more problems. Good neighbors keep good fences. 

Edited by Cvans, February 14, 2013 - 09:22 PM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#37 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Thanks to all of you for your input!!  I am not going to rush into this we don't build fence when the ground is frozen in Iowa so I have some time to do my due diligence and research this.

I need to find out what is fair and reasonable in this area. Then determine whether it is in my best interest ot go with his contractor or find one myself or even do it myself.

4 strands of Barbed is a legal fence, but it looks like 5 strands are becoming the normally used in the area?

#38 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 09:09 AM

I think the move to 5 strand is a reaction to the increased liability if your livestock stumbles out onto the road and damages some inattentive driver's car.  Wire is pretty cheap compared to higher insurance rates and/or lawsuits.