37 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:09 AM

My neighbor came to the door last night and said he had hired a guy to put in about 120 rod of fence.

We have 40 rod of fence between us and he wants me to pay 1/2 of the 40 rod we share.

He's planning a 5 barb fence and said the the cost was $35 per rod. My half would be 20 rod or about $700.  It has been probably 30 yrs since I have built any farm fence, so am wondering if $35 a rod is a reasonable price?

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:14 AM

What's a rod measurement?

I have completely fenced my entire yard and some of my dad's field, I have never asked neighbors to pay for the fence. I've under been under impression, if next door negihbor wants fence between us, good for them, but it's not my responsibilty to help pay to put it up. I could be nice and help pay, but it's not my responsibilty. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

My cousin does fencing, I know he charges $7 per foot for 4-board fencing, no idea what he would charge for fabric or just wire.

#3 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:23 AM

A rod is 16.5 feet according to Wiki.

Not sure how I'd feel if a neighbor decided how to spend my money but if the fence was needed by both of us, I guess maybe I could work with them.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Is the fence necessary?! There was a song: Don't Fence Me In :bigrofl:

But: the guy that hires the music has to pay for it...

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:44 AM

If he wants the fence and you don't, its his cost. He can put it alittle way on his property. In my state, he couldn't put up a barb wire fence without the abutors' permission. What ever you decide, watchout that the fence doesn't end up on your property. There seems to be alot of people trying to steal neighboring land these days.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Is there something I don't understand this?  If a neighbor came to me and wanted me to pay for part of their fence just because it ran along adjoining property lines I think I would have shown him the door.

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Do you run livestock on your side of the fence? If you dont need the fence, why should you be forced to pay for it. I have seen this be a sore spot between neighbors that got along good until one of them decided that they needed a new fence.

It might not be a bad idea to get it surveyed to see if in fact it is a "line" fence or off set one side or the other already.

He might be rebuilding "your" fence

Edited by rat88, February 14, 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Well Guys Fencing laws can vary from State, County and Municipality across the country. I  have studied the matter and in Iowa, for every paragraph that say's I'm not obligated to build a fence there is another that obligates me to do so.

While I do not keep livestock and may not be obligated to build a fence, my failure to do so if it resulted in his loss of stock or property loss could make me liabel. I've seen these disputes go all the way to the supreme court and more often than not You have to build the Fence.

The old Adage from a Robert Frost poem"Good Fences make Good Neighbors" holds true. Arguing the point would likely result in legal fees and his not being nearly as careful with spray drift. And who knows where from there. It's far easier to get along!!

I'll build the fence, I'm just wondering  what it's costing around the country?

If your wondering what I'm up against here is a link to the Fencing law in Iowa.

http://www.calt.iast...owaFenceLaw.pdf

• boyscout862, bh115577 and Team_Green have said thanks

#9 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Well Guys Fencing laws can vary from State, County and Municipality across the country. I  have studied the matter and in Iowa, for every paragraph that say's I'm not obligated to build a fence there is another that obligates me to do so.

While I do not keep livestock and may not be obligated to build a fence, my failure to do so if it resulted in his loss of stock or property loss could make me liabel. I've seen these disputes go all the way to the supreme court and more often than not You have to build the Fence.

The old Adage from a Robert Frost poem"Good Fences make Good Neighbors" holds true. Arguing the point would likely result in legal fees and his not being nearly as careful with spray drift. And who knows where from there. It's far easier to get along!!

I'll build the fence, I'm just wondering  what it's costing around the country?

If your wondering what I'm up against here is a link to the Fencing law in Iowa.

http://www.calt.iast...owaFenceLaw.pdf

Good points.

I Guess I just figured that fencing was more common sense and less law. Myself, I'd be inclined to keep the good neighbor thing going if I could afford the cost. Not sure what I'd do if I couldn't afford it.

I have no idea what the fence laws are here in NY but I'd be willing to bet that if I turned my neighbor down on the fence and it got into a big argument I'd be getting a visit from their Uncles Vinnie and Pauly.

• backwoods said thank you

#10 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:25 AM

I just read the first two pages of that attachment in Iowa.  My  eyes were bleeding after that.  It does look like you are going to have a nice new fence.  I would have no idea about cost.  I hope a member here can give you an idea.  

Will you at least get some use  out of the fence too?

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:34 AM

What's a rod measurement?

I have completely fenced my entire yard and some of my dad's field, I have never asked neighbors to pay for the fence. I've under been under impression, if next door negihbor wants fence between us, good for them, but it's not my responsibilty to help pay to put it up. I could be nice and help pay, but it's not my responsibilty. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

My cousin does fencing, I know he charges $7 per foot for 4-board fencing, no idea what he would charge for fabric or just wire.

Tahoe: Missed your question. A Rod is 16 1/2 feet. General rule is the distance between fenc posts( though many do not follow that).  It goes clear back to when surveying was done with chains. A chain was 66 ft or 4 poles long.

66 divided  by 4= 16.5.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 14, 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:37 AM

I just read the first two pages of that attachment in Iowa.  My  eyes were bleeding after that.  It does look like you are going to have a nice new fence.  I would have no idea about cost.  I hope a member here can give you an idea.  

Will you at least get some use  out of the fence too?

Yes I will sort of benifit from the fence based on His not having stock in my garden and Orchard. That has not really been a problem, he did have one calf get out last year but it did no damage. What really messes up my garden are the Deer and the fence would need to be 10 ft high to do any good with that.

I knew this fence would eventually need replacement, I was hoping to wait another year before doing so?

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 14, 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#13 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Could be different here in the West. "The rule of thumb" here is you are responsible for the right hand half. (the half on your right hand side when your standing on your own property facing the fence). But there is livestock out here. Lots of people move in from the city to a split piece of property and do not put up any fence, then whin when stray livestock gets in there yard. One can include pets with livestock.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Could be different here in the West. "The rule of thumb" here is you are responsible for the right hand half. (the half on your right hand side when your standing on your own property facing the fence). But there is livestock out here. Lots of people move in from the city to a split piece of property and do not put up any fence, then whin when stray livestock gets in there yard. One can include pets with livestock.

Bud, I'm sure that the laws would be different in Montana. Is that not still an Open Range state where cattle have the right of way even on the highway?

#15 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Got to the third paragraph and there is was. If i were you I would call of a few the other fence co. to get a feelling of what the going rate is on the portion you are asking about.

Dick