Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Removing Electric Pto Clutch On Kohler K341 16hp?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 makeitfit OFFLINE  

• Member No: 23907
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I picked up an AC 416S parts tractor today with the intent to use the motor to repower another 410S I have here. The 416S is badly rusted and not worth fixing. I have the motor off on the bench, the wire is broke off the PTO clutch and I need to remove the coil to see if I either can resolder the wire or just have to replace it. I have the original PTO clutch off my other 416S that I no longer use since that machine don't run a deck.

I removed the front bolt, collar, and pulley, and I removed the four bolts holding the coil to the block. It won't budge, I soaked it in Kroil for two days, tapped at it for hours, but nothing. I even tried applying some heat with a propane torch but don't want to get it too hot and damage either the coil or crankshaft. So far it won't budge even the slightest.

Any tips?

#2 yardiron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 01:13 AM

I've had a few of those that wouldn't move, the key is usually a few days of soaking with some penetrating oil and then hit it with heat if it still won't move, the trick is to heat the clutch ring fast, it'll expand and break its bond on the crankshaft. Have two medium pry bars ready, heat the ring hot and fast with a torch around the middle, when it starts to move, start hitting it again with PB Blaster or Kroil.