FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 11:15 PM

Got around to adding a couple videos from last weekends Nor'Easter that hit us pretty good.  Median snow was 24" to 30" and drifts between four to five feet. (and as high as 8' in spots!)  Clean up took me a good five hours and did break the auger chain at the very end, but that was cleaning up the walkway around the house.  Now keep in mind, this was a late Friday morning to early Saturday snow storm, and we had none on the ground prior.  This is all from the one storm.

Hope you like the videos!

Edited by FirefyterEmt, February 12, 2013 - 11:17 PM.

• DH1, daytime dave, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for the video, that is amazing how much snow Y'all got. It reminds me of the 77-78 Blizzards in IN.

• KC9KAS and larryd have said thanks

#3 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Was working at my 620 tonite and I thought of you and how you made out with your 12 and blower.  Looks like you can be glad you had it ready to roll and not had your blade to use instead.  I just can't imagine moving that much snow, I'd stay in or get the skid loader from the farm to use instead.  Sucks about your chain though it was at teh end of your cleaning up.

• larryd said thank you

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yea, I will have to look and see how bad it is, I can see the chain is kinda bunched up at the top, and the auger is free spinning, so I assume the chain. But, heck... I mean, it's a 40 year old chain! 

• larryd said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the videos. That's as close as I want to get.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for the videos. It looks like your blower did the job!

When that much snow comes at 1 time, a push blade just won't get the job done.....no where to go with the snow!

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 06:06 AM

Wow, thanks for the videos. Amazing amount of snow, but it looks like you were able to get a lot done with the Massey.

Edit: Camera illusions can be funny sometimes. I know your auger actually stopped a few times, but right around 4:15 it looks like your engine stops as well.

Edited by HowardsMF155, February 13, 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#8 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 06:09 AM

Looking good. We didn't get as much snow here in Maine as you got down in CT but it was plenty to throw and have a good time at it. Sounds like you had an excuse (reason) to head over to Tractor Supply for a new chain.....and more of course........when all was said and done. Thanks for posting the video.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yea, the auger was giving me a little trouble, I have the belt one size too big, I need to replace that as well.  Once or twice the stalled auger was able to kill the motor, but not in this video.  She has been giving me a little trouble starting for the last year too. I have been chalking it up to the amount of usage she gets, and a few years since I rebuilt the carb.  However, this Saturday she did not want to fire at all...  I ended up trying till the battery was "low".  After waiting for an hour with the charger on, she still was dead.  I decided to swap the starter from an OH140 motor I have and she screamed like a banshee! She fired right off the bat with the new starter!  I think the problem was all along was the starter combined with my external Chrysler ignition system starving for voltage!  I am SO glad I had a spare starter on hand!!

• MH81 and Moosetales have said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Boy you guys got nailed hard with snow. I can't believe that all came down in one night! How's your left arm? It looks like it got quite a workout on the lift in that second video.

#11 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 12:16 PM

WOW tjat was a tpm pf snow all at once, The blower was sure doing it's job of throwing the snow. Thanks for the videos. Sorry about the chain breaking but like you said it was 40 years old, about time some PM on the ol girl.

Dick

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for that great video.  It was a treat to see such a nice Massey doing a great job.  I believe I have said it before, but I like that hat.  Very cool looking while blowing the snow.  

Sorry to hear you had a problem.  I am glad you had the spare starter.  Isn't it a real downer when you get enough snow to need the drift cutter bars attached to the front of the blower unit.  Did they come on Massey blowers?  I don't have any with my Massey 10 blower.  I have them for others.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Good to know the 620 will move that much.  The massey & blower look to be a well matched pair.

I know what you mean about getting that belt juuuuust right.  Ryan had troubles until we got the adjustment right too.

#14 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 12:14 AM

Yea she did pretty good, I think getting that OH140 motor on her will help a lot, the 40 year old HH120 motor is working with pretty much all she has to move that much snow.  I was hoping the blower would hold up all winter, I have another head that is all apart, stripped, and primed. That will be the head that is used next year after I repaint it.  But that one needed a chain too!  So I can either "wait" and "hope" this far towards spring, we will not get another storm that I have to run the blower on, or just fix it.  I just know we will get hit hard if I don't fix it though!  Plus, having a back up head will allow for emergency "fix all" repairs by swapping on another blower.

As for the hat, it's great to keep the snow out of your face, kinda like a shield when the wind shifts!

I wish I had some drift cutters too, but the problem is the shed is a bit small for them.  If I had them on it, the whole unit would be as long as the shed!  Although, I have thought about making them pivot.  The thing is that it's so rare to get that much snow, I don't think I really need them.  What I do need to make is some sort of side bumper to keep it away from the curb along the driveway, it's cement and the blower rides along it.  That will trash the fresh paint... I think a nylon bumper bolted on where the skid feet mount will be the ticket.

Edited by FirefyterEmt, February 14, 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:23 AM

Sounds like a good plan.  Keep us updated with how you go about doing it.