• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 05:58 PM

This only took me around 8 hrs to build. I am lucky to have a plasma cutter available to use which cuts down on grinding time. Also makes for a perfect striaght cut. This blade has been cut right down the middle long ways to make it that short and to use for adding wings on.  I plan on makeing a get up like the factory blades with a handle to unlock the blade from the top side. Just got excited this far along to share my project with someone else.

That's okay! It started the old juices flowing through the think tank and I'll be doing one later this Spring. Probably only 4' wide. Got most of the plans stored in the head, hope I don't forget where!

#17 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 06:17 PM

KennyP....Hope your have better luck than I...

My mind is like an OLD computer....Slow, Not much memory, Crashes often...... :help:

Edited by KC9KAS, February 13, 2013 - 06:18 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 06:28 PM

That's a tough old tractor with lots of years left.  That's a good looking belly blade.  I love my plasma cutter....way better than an acet. torch!

#19 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 10:36 PM

I got this thing out tonight and graded the drive. Did a great job and width worked out perfect for me. I must admit that the bottom of the blade bowed back on each side which means more reinforcement on the bottom side and some straightening. No big deal thats called fabing and fixing. I must have under estimated the power of a 16hp. I was kinda hauling when it happened.  It ripped up a few chunks of concrete and field tile from the drive causeing my bend.  

By the way it doesn't look so big out on the job, just in the garage.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gradeing.jpg
  • gradeing #2.jpg

Edited by Dieselcowboy, February 14, 2013 - 06:25 AM.

• KennyP and Moosetales have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:30 AM

Glad you got to try it out. Looks like it did a fine job, even with the bowing in it. I'm sure you get it reinforced good. Gotta watch out for those large buried chunks!

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Your modified blade came out great ! Thats one of those attachments that I wish I had ,maybe some day

#22 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Figured I would finish this thread up and take care of concerns of how to angle the blade from the seat. Here is what I came up with.  Handle has 2 bolts on the pipe end so I can take it off for easy storage. The benifiets of makeing your own design. Works very well when its mounted. Handle is very handy.

Side note... In one of the pics you can see I braced the bottom of the blade all the way across with a black rectangleular box tube. Cutting edge bolts hold it on.  Shouldn't bend now. Final cost of project $0. Can't beat that. Dig in those steel dumpters and check those scrap piles !

Attached Thumbnails

• grader blade #5.jpg
  • grander blade #4.jpg
  • grader blade #3.jpg

Edited by Dieselcowboy, March 02, 2013 - 09:51 PM.

• Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 05:39 AM

That's pretty neat! Simple, yet functional!

#24 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Figured I would finish this thread up and take care of concerns of how to angle the blade from the seat. Here is what I came up with.  Handle has 2 bolts on the pipe end so I can take it off for easy storage. The benifiets of makeing your own design. Works very well when its mounted. Handle is very handy.

Side note... In one of the pics you can see I braced the bottom of the blade all the way across with a black rectangleular box tube. Cutting edge bolts hold it on.  Shouldn't bend now. Final cost of project $0. Can't beat that. Dig in those steel dumpters and check those scrap piles !

Thanks for the pics and further explanation. Might I beg for a picture of how the blade frame attaches to the tractor? Is it connected to your hydro system? Thanks. -Matthew