#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 05:07 PM

I noticed some oil where the fender pan meets the tunnel cover. I pulled the tins off and cleaned everything up. When I fired it back up and pulled it inside I noticed a tiny bit of fluid comring from what looks like a seep hole in the top of one of the check valves... Any know know what causes this?

Also, I've searched for a manual on the hydro but haven't had any luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 05:42 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I just uploaded a Service Manual for the 82 Series GT's.

#3 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 06:05 PM

your check valves may be bad. If you want the right fix, you will have to get new ones or get them rebuilt, but for a quick fix, fill the holes on top with JB weld. DISCLAIMER- filling those holes will not allow you to push the tractor around. Those check valves are mighty expensive! 120 for one new one! :poke:

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I just uploaded a Service Manual for the 82 Series GT's.

Thanks Kenny. I've got tha manual and it doesn't go into any detail on the hydro pump.

your check valves may be bad. If you want the right fix, you will have to get new ones or get them rebuilt, but for a quick fix, fill the holes on top with JB weld. DISCLAIMER- filling those holes will not allow you to push the tractor around. Those check valves are mighty expensive! 120 for one new one! :poke:

So... it doesn't leak that much... I guess it just keeps getting worse? then what happens?

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:26 AM

Darn it! Guess I'll have to snoop around some more for the right manual!

• twostep said thank you

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:46 AM

I found this and it has a little more detail: http://gardentractor...ouble-shooting/

• KennyP said thank you

#7 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:49 AM

More info:

http://simpletractor...TOPIC_ID=107219

http://cubfaq.com/relief1.html

Edited by twostep, February 13, 2013 - 10:08 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:29 AM

I welded the hole shut on my 149.It was leaking very bad and someone tried to take it apart before I got it.Looks like some one tried to take the tip off with a pair of vice grips on mine.

I can still push it around but it is Alot harder.Noticed that the cavitation issue I was having with the new fluid went away to.It must of been pulling air into the pump while it was running and pushing fluid out when it was not running.

This guy on Ebay remachines and rebuilds them for $40 each.He's sold 342 and 100% positive feedback so he must know what he's doing.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aa9721237

He also sells rebuildable relief valves for $85 each or $160 for a pair.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item336e4db448

Edited by EricFromPa, February 14, 2013 - 08:38 AM.

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 12:10 PM

That rebuild seems like a good deal. I don't have enough experience to know if lapping the ball seats is really needed but the new components and bench testing are good selling points.

The rebuildable valves would be great but honestly, I expect my valves are 33 years old... if I can rebuild them and have them last another 30 years I'll be fine with that.

Thanks for the links. Since budget is tight and I can wrecker my 682 with my kubota 3pt I might just weld it up for now. If I don't like it I can grind the spot weld off and rebuild.

Does anyone know why there are two? I assume one is forward and one is reverse. If that is right, any idea which is which?

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Here's a pic out of my dealer manual.It's for an older pump without hydro lift but it's basically the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• HydroValveLocation.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Thank you. It does seem that after pressure washing when I was putting the tractor back in the garage it seemed sluggish backing in... and according to that pic the Reverse valve is the one that was leaking.

#12 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

dsmithjr

• Member No: 7649
  • 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Just my 2 cents but I would never weld them up they are way to expensive and forcing the tractor to roll with out pressure relief will damage the pump which is really expensive. There are a lot of rear ends around so I'm sure if you post a wanted add someone has a decent one you can buy until you can have yours rebuilt. If you pressure washed your rear end you may have damaged the vent hole at the back of the rear end and now its building pressure and leaking out of the valves( this only applies to the IH cast rear ends) not the CC aluminum rear ends.

• twostep said thank you