• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JoeA OFFLINE  

JoeA

• Member No: 431
  • 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted September 22, 2010 - 01:14 PM

hi all, recently got a 1556 dirt cheap ($75)...tractor is in overall pretty good condition. when i got it home i noticed the muffler was kind of flopping around a bit, nothing real bad but it bugged the heck out of me. today i had some time and decided to see what the issue was...the exhaust system comprised of a 1" threaded nipple out of exaust port, a 90 degree elbow, and an 8 inch long thread nipple that connected to the muffler...the problem turned out to be that the 1" threaded nipple had stripped out about 1/3 of the threads inside the exhaust port. someone had tried putting some JB weld on the nipple and then spinning it in..i dont want to slather the thing with JB weld. anybody got any ideas ?..thanks, Joe

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 22, 2010 - 01:45 PM

I had a Kohler that would not hold the threaded elbow tight no matter how much I tried to tighten it. So I took the elbow out & the threads appeared to be all but gone. Looking closer, the threads were just caked in with carbon. I took a dremel with the little cutoff wheels & carefully ground all the threads clean all the way to the rear. The elbow went way back in & never came loose again. Likely you have a lot of thread back in there that you can't see or use unless they are cleaned out.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 22, 2010 - 02:40 PM

I had a Kohler that would not hold the threaded elbow tight no matter how much I tried to tighten it. So I took the elbow out & the threads appeared to be all but gone. Looking closer, the threads were just caked in with carbon. I took a dremel with the little cutoff wheels & carefully ground all the threads clean all the way to the rear. The elbow went way back in & never came loose again. Likely you have a lot of thread back in there that you can't see or use unless they are cleaned out.

I did very much the same thing on my 1656 (H16) Bolens and when it was threaded back in,it went in 3 or 4 threads farther and has been fine since.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 22, 2010 - 05:03 PM

:ditto: the 2 previous replies

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 22, 2010 - 06:41 PM

You could also get a npt tap and tap the threads to clean them if you don't want to do the dremel trick. I don't know how much a single tap would be but I don't think they are too expensive.