#1 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:43 PM

I just wanted to let you all know, I have been getting back into vintage sleds,again. Still spend plenty of time with my gt's. My newest sled is
a 91 Ski-doo tundra 250 long track,just got it a week ago,not real old,but
a super reliable slow but powerful workhorse. 2nd newest is the 570 Yamaha
Exciter,It is a 89.It came with the Ski-Doo ,I traded a non running atc 90
&a nonrunning atc 70 even up for both. Neither sled was running but the Tundra
showed the most promise,dump old fuel,new tether switch and she runs great!
While the kids ran the S/D (Ski-Doo)we started on the Yamaha. It was overall
a nice looking machine,but its liquid cooled engine was locked up from sitting,
pulled plugs and shot some gibbs peneytrating oil in to the cylinders,45 mins.
later it was free, about 128 psi a side, wide open throttle!Awesome,next....
carbs.... took a day and a half to get barrels out of the carbs,another day
with carbs in ultrasonic cleaning tank. I put everything back together,hit the electric start and vroommmmmm!!!! GOING FAST WITH TWO STROKE GAS!Going to do the upper end on my 79 Yamaha,440 Exciter,then jet the 78 SRX 440,then the John
Deere 440 liquifire,then the Kawasaki Invaders,then the trail cat.......
WAIT This is getting to be a viscous cycle,Tractors,Garden tractors,Snowmobiles.
So many engines, so little time,May have to put three point hitch on the Ski-Doo.
Ill have Bethany post some pictures. Shawn
  • MH81, sacsr, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 11:13 PM

I have a few sleds myself. My newest is a 97 Polaris XLT with an XCR engine in it. A 92 Yamaha Exciter is next and then a 77 Exciter known

as Frankensled. The 77 has a 540 in it from an 80 XLV, a Polaris seat and a skid from an ss440 under it.  I love to ride when mother nature

gives up the white stuff. Last year and this year have been really disappointing. All the sleds run and just need some fresh gas and snow.

Frankensled needs a little more tuning and maybe a fuel pump, but that is it. 

Geno

• tractorgarden and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hope it's ok to bring up an old thread I was wondering about old sleds and garden tractors.  Here is a link to a pic of both of mine.

http://gardentractor...76-68-ford-120/

Got tired of banging around on the old Elan, sold it last spring and got the 95 Touring shown above.  Took it for a toot last week with a dusting over frozen grass a big improvement, looking forward to riding in comfort this season.   

I'd like to get a Tundra but they are high near me esp w/reverse.  Is your 91 Tundra leaf spring front end?

Saw a cool video vintage ride Canada i think had a Bolens Hus-ski and Diablo Rouge in some pretty deep stuff there were 12/3s getting stuck, can't seem to find think it was on youtube... Should appeal to the Bolens fans here seems to be a lot of them.  Wish i could find that video.

• tractorgarden and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 12:25 AM

I have a mid 70's I think,  Rupp 440 Nitro. I bought it at an auction in Mich. back in the early eighties. The PO drag raced it on the ice up there & fastest speed was 98.3. I ran it for about 18 years then blew a cylinder & I replaced both jugs. I ran it for another few years then stored it. I actually was inquiring about trading it to a guy for a Bolens 1050 a few days ago. My wife is kind of attached to it because we had so much fun with it & the trip we took to get it was a nightmare. If anyone is interested maybe I'll post the story. It was one of those things where everything went wrong.

Edited by Sawdust, December 03, 2013 - 12:36 AM.

• MH81, tractorgarden and Oldford have said thanks

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 03:48 AM

Always liked those old Rupps bet it looks good parked next to the Massey.  There's a lot of info on this site http://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php tried a search got 7 pages on Rupp Nitro.  Another old sled site i belong to is http://www.vintagesl...orums/index.php if you scroll down to the rebuild/ratrod section there's a guy on there rides his old Rupps all winter knows a lot about the machines, lot of good info there as well.

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hope it's ok to bring up an old thread I was wondering about old sleds and garden tractors.  Here is a link to a pic of both of mine.

http://gardentractor...76-68-ford-120/

Got tired of banging around on the old Elan, sold it last spring and got the 95 Touring shown above.  Took it for a toot last week with a dusting over frozen grass a big improvement, looking forward to riding in comfort this season.   

I'd like to get a Tundra but they are high near me esp w/reverse.  Is your 91 Tundra leaf spring front end?

Saw a cool video vintage ride Canada i think had a Bolens Hus-ski and Diablo Rouge in some pretty deep stuff there were 12/3s getting stuck, can't seem to find think it was on youtube... Should appeal to the Bolens fans here seems to be a lot of them.  Wish i could find that video.

Yes my tundra is leaf front. Thanks for posting! Shawn

• Oldford said thank you

#7 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 02:03 AM

Don't have any now, but there was a time I had a Rupp 340 and a Raider twin track. That thing was a hoot to ride, but it wasn't very good in deeper snow with the twin tracks.

And when you tipped it over there was no place to "fall off" you stayed in the capsule till it stopped. I think the rear engine was a JLO or a CCW, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Picture is not mine, but like

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.png

Edited by zippy1, December 21, 2013 - 02:11 AM.

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 03:29 AM

Sled video with old Bolens, Massey...

• GTTinkerer said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snowmobile, vintage, snow