12 replies to this topic

#1 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 01:18 PM

I got an email about this welder being a top 5 pick. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

http://www.northernt...DE=&MARKETCODE=

Geno

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Geno, I have never used that model, but it looks a lot like the one a buddy of mine bought from harbor freight and his does a good job on most thickness of steel up to 1/4" If you want something to use in your garage every once in a while, this would probability be the way to go.

One of the BIGGEST things that people don't do but should, if you don't weld at least once a week, pull your spool of wire and wrap it back up so it doesn't draw moister. When the wire starts to get corrosion on it, it leaves that corrosion in the liner of your gun and that will cause problems later,

• IamSherwood, sacsr, CRFarnsworth and 6 others have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 01:53 PM

One of the BIGGEST things that people don't do but should, if you don't weld at least once a week, pull your spool of wire and wrap it back up so it doesn't draw moister. When the wire starts to get corrosion on it, it leaves that corrosion in the liner of your gun and that will cause problems later,

I didn't know that, maybe that is the reason I have so much trouble getting the wire to run through.  What is the best way to clean it out?  Thanks

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thank you for the info, I had never thought about that.

Geno

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:17 PM

I didn't know that, maybe that is the reason I have so much trouble getting the wire to run through.  What is the best way to clean it out?  Thanks

Replace the liner.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Bill, If the wire still pulls thru it with little effort, you can use a solvent that they sell at the welding supply that will clean and lubricate the wire and liner..I have taken the lead off the machine and sprayed down thru the liner with brake cleaner to flush the liner out.Use the straw that comes with the can and don't be afraid to use the whole can. Then I blow out the liner with compressed air. Let it dry the rest of the day and then re-install the lead back on the machine. My big machines have a replaceable liner, but I don't know if you can replace the liners in these lower end machines. I also use "Weld-Aid- Kleener Pads & Lube Pads" along with Their lube and cleaner solvent on these pads.

2013-02-11_13-06-06_208.jpg 2013-02-11_13-08-43_768.jpg

• Alc, IamSherwood, CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Brian, I'll have to get out there and check the machine out. 

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Brake cleaner likes to eat plastics at times, I'ld be careful with it. The outer case and not sure what liners are, but if woven may bleed thru to eat at plastic??  I had a cheapy welder one time and the gun was the most trouble and the wire feed wheels were plastic and slipped.  Got a lincoln next and was really nicest I owned. Also have had Hobart and was good, but not as nice as lincoln. Better guns and metal drive wheels on the later two. And GAS, wouldn't buy one w/out gas set-up.

• HDWildBill and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Most of the 110v migs are at absolute capacity on 3/16" iron. The problem is they don't get good penetration when the parent metal is too thick unless you preheat it. A mig can make beatiful welds but if there isn't enough penetration then it's not much better than JB weld. I use the dry felt pads on my wire and have had to blow out the liner twice in 4- 10 lb rolls of solid wire. I use a large butterfly paperclip to hold the folded felt on the wire.

Mike

• sacsr, HDWildBill and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Reading the description of the welder linked above, two things popped out at me. One, it had the adapter to accept larger spools of wire. That will save some money there. Second, it has standardized replacement wear parts.

I've welded up to 1/4" stuff with a little 110 flux only wire feed a couple of times, doing multiple passes. The max size wire I can run through it is .030. I've had to re-do some welds that I thought would be an issue, but I haven't had one fail yet. I picked mine up off from CL for $30.

3K73If3He5N85Kd5Hbd1mcbdc463e78361187.jp

Have you checked your local Craigslist, Geno? Just checking mine, I saw a few units between $100-$200 that looked like good deals.

• sacsr, bgkid2966 and twostep have said thanks

#11 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:04 PM

That welder looks a lot like my first welder, a Lincoln sp135. With the hood open it looks just about identical. Lincoln doesn't offer the sp135 anymore, they went to a 140, I wonder if they are still making the 135 for sale under the northern tool name. You might be able to find some pics of the lincoln sp135 on the net and compare the two. The lincoln sp135 was a great machine I just need to be able to weld heavier material so I sold it and got a lincoln power mig 180.

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#12 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • Member No: 21230
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:38 PM

I just bought the Eastwood 135 for $299.99 reg $340.00, but goes on sale several times a year.  I am sure if you call they will honor that price.  Free shipping also.  As I researched the hobby priced units (century, longevity, Northern Ind, Eastwood, and a few others they all compare, but the Eastwood has a 3 year warrenty, I'm sure with plenty of limitations, no extra cost. I think the one you are looking at has a 1 year for an extra $35.00.  It has been great right out of the box.  If you are just looking for a hobby welder you cannot beat the price.  I got a 60lbs gas bottle from airgas for $122.00 with tax and a cart from HF for $39.00. I have also heard the wire can get contaminated (rust) if left in the welder.  I was told to pull it out and put it in a bag with desicant packs.  Warning, Eastwood is an autobody supplier with aggressive online sales, you will get blasted with a daily sales flyer. 

• sacsr and twostep have said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Did not know about the rusted wire thing, good thing to know in the future.

I have a HB mig151 220V, being my first welder, it has done well for me. Other than having to take apart handle and fixing spring, no problems out of it. I paid $150 on sale so I'm no complaining. One of these days I will get regulator and gas and convert over to true mig and get away from flux core. Just being a garage project welder, it works fine for me. I can do some upgrades to make it better also.  

I would recommend 220 over the 110 though for thicker stuff longer duration.

• Texas Deere and Horse and twostep have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mig, welder, mig welder