• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • Member No: 24912
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Some info on the Kohler 18hp OHV K-361 engine. I have owned mine for a few years now. I read up, and spoke with those who know more about this subject, than I'll  ever know. Kohler had problems almost from the start. The engine block is cast iron, and the head is alloy. The heat transfer  from one to the other, made for problems. The biggest thing was, the valve plate and valve cover, leak. You can't see the leak, or at least it's hard to see. The oil on top of the head, will then mix with dust and debris and then the head will over heat, and then you have major problems. Cleaning the top of the head, and checking for the oil leak will help. I clean the head on my 1618 PK, with oven cleaner. Warning! What ever the oven cleaner comes in contact with, IT WILL REMOVE THE PAINT DOWN THE BARE METAL! Low idle IS A KILLER, on this engine. The upper valve train gets it's oil from the oil mist coming up the push rod tubes. Low idle, means less oil mist.  The cyl head are no longer built, and getting a new head, well.... good luck. Used heads, sometimes come up for sale on Ebay.  Did some say, "Good luck getting a new head?" I have a never been used K-361 cyl head! No! It's not for sale. To go on, I also have another used head, and a complete Kohler, K-361 engine. Also not for sale. Just saying, if you have a Kohler, 18hp OHV K-361 engine, and want to keep it, then maybe consider getting some used parts to keep it running.  My two cents.  javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka  Don

• Alc, KennyP, Ryan313 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Excellent advice for anyone considering a tractor that has one of these engines.  Thank you.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Don, use bigger fonts size, hard to read your posting here.  Us "Old fellas" have to work to hard to read that small print!

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the advice Joe. :thumbs:

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Don, use bigger fonts size, hard to read your posting here.  Us "Old fellas" have to work to hard to read that small print!

X2

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 05:50 AM

I changed it for you, GL!

• David Brown said thank you

#7 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 10:05 AM

What years did they use the K-361 engine?  In looking at one for sale it would be nice to know if it had the 361 or not... or at least come out with one.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 10:35 AM

What years did they use the K-361 engine?  In looking at one for sale it would be nice to know if it had the 361 or not... or at least come out with one.

I don't know the years they made that engine but you will know it if there is one in that tractor.  There will be a little box on top of the engine that houses the workings for the valves.  It's not like any of the other K series engines.  Also, if I remember correctly, the exhaust exits the other side or what would be the driver's side of the tractor, different from other K series engines.  They also have an odd shaped air cleaner.  More like a tear drop than a circle.

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Jeff already covered the main differences of the k361, so there is not much for me to add; although, according to my engine chart they started using them in 1978.
  • David Brown said thank you