• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• Member No: 1653
  • 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Watching my neighbor with his 266-H and that thing can sling some snow.

I am starting to think I might unload my deere 318 or case 222 and buy one of those LOL.

Are there any Service Manuals up online for them? I didn't see many videos or anyone ever talking about them.

#2 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 03:41 PM

I've got a 1998 Toro 265H. It's a good mower. Never really thought about using it as a snow blower. I believe you can get the manuals at the Toro web site.

#3 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• Member No: 1653
  • 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks got them.

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 06:48 PM

You should see what a 520h with a 2 stage thrower can do!  Throw the snow over the house!  The 520h is WH's version of the 318, only lacking power steering.  Later models have a gear reduction steering set up that is almost like power steering.  Some have a forward swept front axle to accomidate the 60" mower deck.  Engine is a P220 Onan 20hp Performer Series.  Same basic engine as the 420 JD.  The 520's have a full compliment of gauges in the dash including a proper fuel gauge like a car, rpm, power meter(monitors air filter restriction), battery voltage ect.  They are all lighted when the lights are on.  Headlights are real sealed beams, not the crappy lights the 318 is  blessed with.  Nothing against 318's, buddy has one that is show room new looking, I am just not a huge JD fan.  You cant go wrong with a nice WH!    Mike

• Rock farmer said thank you

#5 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:19 PM

I just bought a 520 H. I haven't got it running yet. But you sure make it sound nice! Wish I had a two stage blower. But at $800 I think that'll have to wait! The 520H is a real garden tractor. The 265H is just a mower. With its balloon tires and generally light construction, I think it would be kinda beating on it to ask it to blow snow! Joe

#6 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:42 PM

My 518 is a poor mans 520. Same basic tractor, but it came with a light duty hydro pump, manual lift, 18hp Onan P218 and less gauges on the dash.   I have upgraded mine to the same heavy duty hydro pump as the 520, I have the parts on hand to change over to hyd lift and will be getting the parts shortly to put the full gauge package on.  I will retain the P218 Onan engine though.  I went to a smaller mower deck, 42rd(rear discharge) so I can fit the tractor thru the shed door with the deck on.  She looks horrible with the peeling paint, but once warmer weather arrives, that will change.  Hopefully you will get your 520 going again.  They are a beast.  If you have never owned an Onan, they do require some special maintance over your Kohler or Briggs engines.  Neglecting the Onan is a fast trip to loose valve seats or broken rods. The Onan is a high performance engine, and as such needs proper maintance by the book to be happy and last.  If you have any Onan specifc questions, feel free to ask.    Mike

• Rock farmer said thank you