Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Source For Axle Seals Or New Part Number?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Starting to rehab the LGT165 I got last week. The inside of one rear hub and the area around the axle shaft is really greasy and dirty. Guessing I need new axle seals.

Looking at the parts diagam (THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU for you guys that posted all the manuals!!!!!), it seems to show the outer axle seal as TEC-788049. But I am not having any luck sourcing that part online, either off New Holland, Napa or a few other on-line parts houses.......

Anybody have a good source for parts for these things or is there a newer number than in the parts diagram?

It LOOKS like I can replace the seal without splitting the transaxle. Anybody ever been down this road before?

Of course, I know that I need to check the axle surface for burrs, and if the axle is buggered, the transaxle comes out.... Really just hoping for a simple fix at this point.....

As an aside, I spent yesterday with the wire brush and sandblaster getting the body panels cleaned up. Been taking pictures as I went, so once I get a little farther along, will start a new thread and post the refurb. 

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I just got 2 of those seals from Outdoor Distributors. The # was just 788049. Cost was $22,91 including shipping. If you have a local bearing and seal shop, might get them cheaper.

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:22 AM

got one of the old ones? SOMETIMES they have a number on them  but take to Motion Industries they can match them up much cheaper than any Ford dealer or small engine type shop.

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Starting to rehab the LGT165 I got last week. The inside of one rear hub and the area around the axle shaft is really greasy and dirty. Guessing I need new axle seals.

Looking at the parts diagam (THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU for you guys that posted all the manuals!!!!!), it seems to show the outer axle seal as TEC-788049. But I am not having any luck sourcing that part online, either off New Holland, Napa or a few other on-line parts houses.......

Anybody have a good source for parts for these things or is there a newer number than in the parts diagram?

It LOOKS like I can replace the seal without splitting the transaxle. Anybody ever been down this road before?

Of course, I know that I need to check the axle surface for burrs, and if the axle is buggered, the transaxle comes out.... Really just hoping for a simple fix at this point.....

As an aside, I spent yesterday with the wire brush and sandblaster getting the body panels cleaned up. Been taking pictures as I went, so once I get a little farther along, will start a new thread and post the refurb. 

http://search.cartse...C-788049&go=GO!

• Tennblue59 said thank you