#16 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Pto has drag sometimes and spins if lubed good. Careflly try to grab the shaft lightly with a gloved hand and see if you can stop it. If  a female end you would need a shaft to put into it. Don't grab hard if it won't stop easy!  Maybe it should have a brake on it that is not touching?? 

The three points at most farm stores seem to be for Old Ford N's and are pretty long.  I have made my own arms by buying the end ball sockets and using thick flat stock for the main arms. You mention "Yokes". That mean that it DID have lift and just parts missing? Some tractors have mount tabs right on axle castings for the arms, some have pins on body or holes for pins or rods to hold. Not familiar with what they used. The lift links are the harder peices to make if you want adjustable ones.  Look at the manuals for your tractor model and hitch as linked above and study them to get better idea what is needed.

If this is KT17 engine, a twin, make sure to use good oil like Rotella in it, they are known to have rod breakage on early models. Don't drive on hills sideways, the oil doesn't circulate well in them. IF you have oil filter, your have better model with pressure.

#17 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,570 Thanks
  • 3,953 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Welcome to the forums Chris!

You found yourself a nice tractor. I think that you might have to call Ariens to find out when yours was built. I don't recall ever seeing a database with their production years. I will check the length of my 3 point arms for you, offhand I am guessing about 16-19" long. Be careful with trying to stop the rear pto. It can pull you in fast. There might be corrosion in the clutch causing it to spin.

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,570 Thanks
  • 3,953 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:54 PM

My lower arms are 15" from pin center to center. The lift pin is dead center at 7 1/2".

This is what mine looks like.

DSC03727.JPG

#19 chrisk OFFLINE  

chrisk
  • Member No: 27923
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 04:38 PM

thank you for all the info..  i did buy an oem ariens/gravely hitch $225.00 for a new one complete kit.

cant wait to get it - now i am searching for a scoop and back blade!

#20 fossil fuel is fun OFFLINE  

fossil fuel is fun
  • Member No: 30092
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hi chrisk, nice gt17. I have a gt 17 also, serial 007802. Emailed ariens a couple mont months ago about build date and mine was produced January 1985. Yours would be earlier than that of course. Shorty, thanks for measurements of 3-point link lenghts! Useful info.

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Fossil, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you found us. Show us your Ariens when you get the chance.

#22 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,570 Thanks
  • 3,953 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Welcome to site Fossel! It is neat to know the build dates of different models. I had thought of checking with Ariens to see if there would be a list of production info available. Just didn't get that far yet.

#23 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Careflly try to grab the shaft lightly with a gloved hand and see if you can stop it. If  a female end you would need a shaft to put into it. Don't grab hard if it won't stop easy!

DON'T EVER NEVER grab a spinning PTO shaft! That's a great way to loose something like a finger, hand, arm, life! and if the glove gets snagged on something spinning it's going to wrap your hand up with it.

Use a broom stick or some other device that does not belong to your body.

Mine spin on both my GT17 and GT19 rear electric clutch pto's unless I have something attached to them.

My S14-H Sperry Rand New Holland spins all the time at engine speed. As do some Ariens.

The front PTO's have a plate that they rub on when disengaged that keeps them from spinning, the rear's do not.