John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE Craigslist ? I do !!

Ken, me too, I picked up a "Soot-Master" vacuum and a 1000lb appliance two wheeler two weeks ago, both like new, for 100 bucks.

Kind of felt bad after talking to seller, as the guy through that after a year in the trade he was ready to go out on his own. I figured he spent at least 10K on stuff you don't need, he had equipment that after 25 years I don't have because it's not needed enough. 

I didn't need either, but decided to use them and take others out of service as back-ups, and I got over feeling bad too. :D

P.S. I check CL daily for GT, tools, materials, and kill time between service calls at home centers, Sears, etc. looking for mark downs.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Kind of felt bad after talking to seller, as the guy through that after a year in the trade he was ready to go out on his own. I figured he spent at least 10K on stuff you don't need, he had equipment that after 25 years I don't have because it's not needed enough. 

It's funny, when I started my business I had a circular saw, a sawzall, a couple of drills (one corded, one cordless), and some basic hand tools.  My truck was 20 years old and I had to borrow a trailer.  I built my first two fences with a manual auger because I couldn't really afford to rent a two-wheeled one I could handle by myself.  

I built everything from bumper fences in parking lots to barbed and page wire for people with acreages.  Most of it was residential though...fence here, deck there, repeat until ground freezes.

I started without debt and bought more tools as I could afford them.  By the time the arthritis got too bad to do that for a living, I owned my own two-wheeled post hole digger and many, many tools. Sold most of it. Should have kept the PHD.  

Guys starting up a fence and deck business now buy a new diesel 3/4 ton, a huge trailer, a Bobcat for drilling holes, every tool known to man, and hire a full crew. They specialize...residential, commercial, etc.  They live in debt.  They think they have to in order to compete. Somebody (likely a banker) is telling them the wrong thing.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Reverand Blair, I agree. the problem is that too many believe that they are entitled to instant gratification. I've noticed that in the last forty years many of the bosses think that they can just hire a bunch of people and then just sit back and take the profits. In many cases the business was in existance since the dad started it after WWII. The kid takes over, makes a bunch of expensive changes and the business is gone in a few years. You may be right about the bankers but its also the people putting it all on their credit cards so that they don't have to go through the review that a business loan would require.

I believe in paying as you go and making do with what I have. Sometimes it takes longer but not paying someone else interest is priceless.