13 replies to this topic

#1 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 21, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Last friday night i bought a 4 kilowatt Onan cck generator. Saturdau i worked on it a bit before i had to go to a wedding. I finally got it running sunday, just in time to discover that our wireless internet router was down. So my dad took care of a new router, and im back online to ask bout this 300 lb beast.

Ok, so i got it running, and found that it doesnt generate much power, but the generator brushs are worn, so i need new ones. The starter part of the genset also needs brushs so i dont need to get it started spinning with a ratchet. Does all of that sound right? Also, where is a good place to find the nessesary brushs? Thanks, and i'll try to get some pics of it up within the next few days.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 21, 2010 - 07:42 PM

So how much AC does it put out? Model & serial #'s? These things take a hefty battery to get them spi9nning & start spinning kinda slow, then get faster. If battery isn't a good strong one, they just won't spin fast enough.

#3 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 21, 2010 - 08:53 PM

I know about the battery thing, and although the one i was using was slightly under powered, it did work well, until the worn brushs stopped working. But the battery was borrowed from a 1993? Town car, and was brand new, so not too short on power. As to the numbers: Model & Spec no.-4cck-3R/1F Serial-64C759884 Gen. Data-305cck3C1A I'll check again how much power it does put out next time i get to tinker with it some.(should have wrote it down!)

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 22, 2010 - 07:38 PM

Pics would be a plus. Some of the batteries they have on the gensets are the same ones they use in tractor trailers, like 1500 cca a piece. I am sure the worn brushes don't help. Pics would help too.

#5 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 04:58 PM

yea, i'll tryand post the pics i took tonight. I'm at the wrong computer, and my moms camera is at home. The generator produces about 11.5 AC volts hooked up for 240 volts. 5.5 volts when attached for 120.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 06:15 PM

May have lost it's excitation. If you have an older single speed corded drill, NOT a variable speed...plug it into the generator's receptacle, pull the trigger, and while holding trigger in, use other hand to turn the drill CCW as hard & fast as you can. This actually turns the drill into a tiny DC generator. Flashing a generator takes DC current. If this works, the drill will take off normal direction instantly, so be prepared to let go fast.

#7 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:07 PM

Ok, i can do that. Now, just so were clear, the genset is running whilst im spinning this drill correct?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Ok, i can do that. Now, just so were clear, the genset is running whilst im spinning this drill correct?

Yep, full operating speed.

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:25 PM

Ok, found the camera, so PIX TIME!
Posted Image
Posted Image
And here is my other Onan generator-
Posted Image
Posted Image
And here are the two gennies together-
Posted Image
And here is the control box on the "new" one. Can anyone tell me wat the bar shaped thing in there with the wires on it does? I know what the regulator and rectifier are, but not that bar.
Posted Image
Thanks for alll the help!

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:43 PM

I believe that is a type of rheostat. There's one like that in my old military 1500 watt genset. Been a looong time since I researched to find what was wrong with it, but can't remember for sure what that rheostat does. My genset had bad bridge rectifiers.

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:59 PM

That is a rheostat of sorts. It's a variable resistor and once you get the value that you need, you tighten the band and it becomes "fixed" at that value. That would be used to make adjustments to the final output voltage IMO. In that last picture, I see a wire with a ring terminal that isn't attached to anything. It appears to go to the switch that is on the left hand side of the ammeter, but I can't read the labels for that switch.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 11:42 PM

. In that last picture, I see a wire with a ring terminal that isn't attached to anything.

It looks as if it might be going to ground (or case)... I can't tell if it's going to that switch or under it... need another perspective.

#13 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 02:09 PM

Ok, that makes it clearer with the charging system, even though the engine has no stator to power the charging circut.

yes, that empty ring goes to a ground. Once i get this thing working right, im going to ge thru that box and remove all the wires that are not doing anything.

#14 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 01:25 PM

Well, after 2 days, im positive its not any lack of excitment in it. I used several methods of flashing it, and they all showed it producing SOME power, but it would NOT produce any more. So, does anyone know where im at with this now-brushs, new genset, coils? It wants to produce power, but cant make enough.