• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:30 AM

i have a case 220 that i just got to working on recently and i was wondering what type of oil goes in the hydraulic tank. does it take just normal hydraulic oil? i appreciate anyones input!

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hello Oliver, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us . I'm sorry to say that I don't know what oil you need, but one of the Case guys will be by shortly yo help you out. Again, WELCOME ! :wave:

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 05:16 AM

i have a case 220 that i just got to working on recently and i was wondering what type of oil goes in the hydraulic tank. does it take just normal hydraulic oil? i appreciate anyones input!

20w 40 motor oil is what is recommended However that is getting hard to find so most use a high quality motor oil usually a 15w 40 or a 20w 50, I noticed that you are from Indiana so either one should work fine for you

Oh I almost forgot Welcome to GT Talk.

• CRFarnsworth, Moosetales, Mjoe7 and 1 other said thanks

#4 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Oliver 2655  Welcome to the forum.  Glad that Arti  could answer your question.. :wave:  rick

20w 40 motor oil is what is recommended However that is getting hard to find so most use a high quality motor oil usually a 15w 40 or a 20w 50, I noticed that you are from Indiana so either one should work fine for you

Arti,  Thanks for information. I was asked the same question yesterday and wasn,t sure.  Now i know.  Thanks. :thumbs:  Rick

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 06:22 AM

welcome.png

Glad you joined!

#6 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:24 AM

I second what Arti said.....use Rotella 15w40 motor oil. Rotella appears to be a brand widely used and recommended around here. I have a Case 444 and it still seems odd to be dumping motor oil in my hydro system. Welcome to the site. Poke around and you'll find lots of great stuff and the guys and gals (yes we do have gals around here which is cool) here are not only helpful but great company.

#7 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Welcome to GT Talk! I'm also running the rotella that moosetales mentioned,great oil and widely available.

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:18 AM

:welcometogttalk: , and  :wewantpics:

#9 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to GT Talk! I'm also running the rotella that moosetales mentioned,great oil and widely available.

Welcome to GTtalk Oliver :-) Lots of great info and folks here. :wave:

I too run the Rotella 15 w 40 in the CASE machines here. There are a few folks that have filled their system with " Hydraulic" oil and then have all sorts of problems with their machines not traveling anywhere.... Please do not be one of those folks :-) 

It " seems " strange at first, but use motor oil. :thumbs:

#10 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Welcome to GTTalk!! :welcometogttalk:

Come on in, pour a cup of your favorite beverage and stay a spell! This is a fun place to spend some time and there is a lot of information to be found.    Enjoy!

You will also find our collective membership can answer just about any question you may have concerning any brand of GT

We all want pics of your tractors and projects!  :wewantpics:

Geno

#11 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 03:53 AM

I second what Arti said.....use Rotella 15w40 motor oil. Rotella appears to be a brand widely used and recommended around here. I have a Case 444 and it still seems odd to be dumping motor oil in my hydro system.

You nailed it right on the head with that last quote. Case GT's do not have hydro's. Its hydraulic drive. That is the key difference and the reason for the motor oil, otherwise we would be using Hytran.

Colt, Case, and Ingersoll's use a oil pump connected to the rear of the engine. That little pump does it all. It's the heart of the Case GT.

In 1962 Colt patented the hydraulic drive system that is still in use on all new Ingersoll GT's. It's the same basic design now as it was 50 years ago.

• Moosetales said thank you

#12 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 03:58 AM

I bought one quart just because I thought it was interesting they had their own labeled oil.

IngersollOil.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just for a laugh...  :bigrofl:

FunnyOil.jpg

Edited by Mjoe7, February 13, 2013 - 04:09 AM.

#13 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:26 PM

thanks for all of the help!! i ended up using 15w 40 because it was cheaper and i can use it for more than just the case hydraulics! now i have another question. its been sitting outside for a long time and im worried their might be a small amount of water in the hydraulic lines. what would be the best way to flush the system out on this?

#14 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:54 PM

thanks for all of the help!! i ended up using 15w 40 because it was cheaper and i can use it for more than just the case hydraulics! now i have another question. its been sitting outside for a long time and im worried their might be a small amount of water in the hydraulic lines. what would be the best way to flush the system out on this?

It would be a good idea to locate a Owners Manual for your tractor.

but! To save you the hassle for now,.. there is a allan wrench drain screw on the Travel Control Valve. Be sure to get the wrench fully on it as some are very hard to loosen without damage since 95% of people don't change the hydraulic oil annually as the manual says to.

Take out the allan bolt. Then pull the plug wire off and pull out the spark plug and make sure the engine will turn over without starting. Turn over the engine until oil stops coming out the dain hole. You may want to let it drain by itself for awhile so you don't drain your battery or hurt your starter. Just turn it over for about 8 seconds at a time. Then let it sit for a few more.

This action spins the pump slow enough to not wreck it while minimal oil is in it and it also uses the pump to drain the system completely. These instructions are in the manual.  

What I do is buy some cheap oil and put it in after doing this first drain then I run the tractor and all the hydraulics for a little bit., Then I repeate the process. That should flush it out pretty well.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

Edited by Mjoe7, February 14, 2013 - 09:58 PM.