• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • Member No: 27830
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 11:05 PM

I looked at a B-80 on CL today, its not run in ages, its stored in a chicken coop not too far away.
Its got a newer 14hp Kohler installed, the guy said he got it from a neighbor who used it to cut his lawn up until 2010 when he passed away.

Its sat since then. He said it ran when it was parked there but when I went to see it it wouldn't roll forward, the brake pedal seemed low but it works the brakes fine in reverse. It won't budge forward though. I could push it backwards just fine but it the right wheel would turn backwards when pushed forward.

If I pushed the brake down while pushing it backwards it stopped, and the brake releases when I let off the pedal. Its in neutral, all the gears seem to shift crisply.

He wants $300 with the motor, $200 without. All the tires looked ok, all had tread and held air. the deck is clean and not rusted.
One thing I also noticed is that the deck won't lift off the ground, it goes up and down but the back end always drags the ground? I can see it lifting up and down but it don't go up high enough, it appears to be hitting the bottom of the chassis and the lever is fully pulled rearward but the deck wheels just hang.

I wasn't looking for a project but a buddy was looking at another machine he's selling and this just happened to catch my eye there. Especially since the deck isn't rotted away. The motor on it looks like someone put in a fresh shortblock, the oil pan and intake are used, the carb is new, and the tin is used.

What do these use for brakes? could it just be rust stopping it from rolling freely?

Any ideas? If it don't sound serious I'll probably go grab it tomorrow night.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:18 AM

There is a band brake on the left of trans. You shoud be able to see it from rear maybe. better seen and accessed with wheel off.

They sometimes hang-up and swell or rust to the hub it surrounds. OR, park brake works with brake pedal. Press it down and move park brake lever (on left of console) and it kinda jambs in linkage to hold it. It should release tho when pedal is pushed again, there is light spring on the lock. The springs rust out and maybe the linkage is still locked up? 

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:01 AM

I agree with above that the parking brake is probably stuck on. The band will allow reverse but will self tighten when trying to go forward. On mine the seat pan folds back to see the brake band. Good Luck

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:24 AM

newer 14HP Kohler for $100 difference? Dont leave that motor behind... if nothing else you got a similar (even if not Kohler) you can hand him in exchange? 

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:40 AM

The B-80 with a 14hp Kohler for $300.....you better get it before it is gone!

#6 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:05 AM

I plan to go back either today or tomorrow, the motor is supposedly brand new, or just rebuilt.

The right pedal is laying at about the 2 O'clock position, it looks like its down too low to me.

I tried toggling the lever on the left while pushing the pedal down but the parking brake lever don't move no matter what. It may well be stuck on, or just broken.

The motor is what I was mainly after, I need one for another tractor, but this one may be better than my other one. This one is an 8 speed trans model.

He took the ad down after I called, so hopefully he's just saving it for me?

He said it was up for the last three months, I was the first to email or call and the only one to show up and look at it.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Get there as fast as you can. Don't forget to ask about attachments and paperwork/manuals. Good Luck, Rick

#8 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 12:23 PM

No attachments, just the deck. I wish it had a rear hitch, I'm looking for something to do some garden work.

I'd have to build it a hitch I guess and come up with some way to lift the attachments.

What is it worth with and without the motor? Condition is ok but not great, mostly cosmetic, scratches and faded paint. The tires are original but in good shape.

I'm going there tomorrow afternoon if the weather cooperates.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 09:44 PM

It should have a sleeve hitch in the back. I have a 68 Raider 9. The lift mechanism is a cable under the seat. Before you look at the tractor, download and read the manual from here.

I agree with the above that $100 extra for the 14hp Kohler should not be passed up. I paid $400 for a brand new Kohler K181 engine thirty years ago. I had to rebuild the transaxle on mine and it was easy and not very expensive. I like Wheelhorse because they are light but still rugged. It sounds like a good deal if you want the tractor or the engine.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:52 PM

I assume from the description above that you had the gear selector in the neutral position? The statement that when you try to roll it forward, the right wheel rolls in reverse has me thinking that the trans is still in gear even if the selector is in neutral. That could mean that the shifter pins are stuck. All that said, $100 for a 14 HP Kohler in working order is a good price! I might use the condition of the rest of the machine to haggle that price a little, but the engine is definitely worth $100!

#11 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 12:24 AM

What is a good 14hp Kohler worth?

The motor is the best part of the tractor, but it may have a lot to do with what ails it too.
The motor was recently upgraded from what I was told, and what I see is belt guards that rub the clutch and pulley, a trans that won't roll, and it needing lots of cleaning and repainting to look presentable.

The seller called me tonight to make sure I was still coming, he said if I had changed my mind, he had someone who wanted it right then. I told him I'd be there by noon on Tues.

He's got a half dozen other tractors on CL, so even if someone isn't answering an add for the WH, they're bound to see it when their there.

I actually need the 14hp for another machine, but figured I could put the B-80 back together with a proper 8hp and resell it, if not just sell it off minus the motor.

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 07:02 AM

A good running 14 hp Kohler is easily worth the $300. It costs me $150 in parts alone to rebuild a worn out Kohler. Just check the pto length and diameter.

#13 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 02:45 PM

Well, it don't much matter, when I stopped by this afternoon, some guy was wrenching out the 14hp, he gave the seller $400 for the motor, but didn't want the tractor. He took the motor and the clutch pulleys.

The same guy bought the motor out of a Jacobsen that were there, a 16hp Kohler. Now there's a B-80 8 speed that needs a motor, and as well  as a Jacobsen GT16H minus its motor.

I have a chance to buy a used 8hp out of a Cub Cadet for $100, also a Kohler, it runs and sounds good.

The seller of the B-80 said make a fair offer or the rest goes on eBay in pieces.

I'm not sure I want it now, the guy pulling the motor freed up the trans, he had it running and driving before he pulled the motor.

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 05:25 PM

I have a chance to buy a used 8hp out of a Cub Cadet for $100, also a Kohler, it runs and sounds good.

The seller of the B-80 said make a fair offer or the rest goes on eBay in pieces.

The CC engine may OR may not work on a Wheel Horse. Not all Kohlers have ball bearings on the engine out-put shaft.

• caseguy said thank you

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 09:14 PM

cub engines don't have a flat bottom pan with mount feet like most other tractors. Guess they call them the "small" pan?  Those usually require the engine mounts that are seperate and mount to frame with rubber biscuit pads. Some years of WH had those, but most are solid bolted to frame.