#16 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Will, If it is the peerless transmission, it is 4 speed plus reverse, all modified by the five settings on the varidrive.

Yes, I gapped there. The 2 and 1 gear are on the same stroke. Back and to the right.

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:36 PM

The mf8 is a 3 speed Will. Maybe that's where the 3 came from. Nice system. The vari speed seems to be a source of problems when it's worn or not maintained properly. I'd like to get a MF or JD with that system on it. Seems to me it would be good for blowing snow. 

#18 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,398 Thanks
  • 4,609 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 04:13 PM

I posted the listing in the CL/eBay forum.

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Think of it as a 4 speed manual with a clutchless semi automatic transmission in front of it. The 5 speeds on the the side of the dash tower are shift on the fly, the 4 on the floor require a clutch to shift.. unless you can float it.

#20 dropped82 OFFLINE  

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,328 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 02:59 PM

The vari-drive is a great system as long as it is working and adjusted. I have it on my Deere's. It enables you to adjust speed without losing implement speed or pushing in the clutch. Great for mowing. Once I got used to it I find I use it all the time. In the stock pulling classes they call it a cheater stick. It enables you to get a few more feet after your engine starts to bog. Its tricky and takes a few tries to adjust it right but doesn't lose adjustment till the belts start to wear. Its solely dependent on good belts. Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

#21 bread320i OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 03:11 PM

I like the vari-drive on my Massey Ferguson MF12.It certently does not replace the hydro, but does many things a regular gear drive tractor cant.