35 replies to this topic

#1 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • Member No: 27881
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hey gang,

im new to tractors and dont have a ton of money (who does)but I have been looking for a tractor for soem time to use at my property. And just by looking around I came across a Massy Ferguson 1655 and a snapper 1855A (basically the same thing just different horsepower,right?) and have kinda been looking for one to purchase and restore if needed. but as I was looking I kept seeing that parts for these are becoming diffulcult to find. and with resto projects in the past that is the last problem I need is it have a project just sitting there because I cant put it back together again correctly. So my question is what tractors were made that are similar to these with parts still available? Basically Im looking for a tractor in the 10-18 horsepower range. rear PTO and three point hitch.

I need to be able to get it into a normal house garage and tow it on a small trailer to and from the property, be able to cut high grass/weeds. grade driveway, rough ground, till garden/food plots, push snow and most importantly have implements and parts available.. any guidance would be appreciated.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:44 PM

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure there are a few MF folk here to answer that for you.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:54 PM

There are lots out there, but we kind of need a rough idea of what your budget is.

Very few garden tractors came factory with the standard 540 rpm rear pto up until the 90's. Some came with similar pto set ups, but at a different speed. 2,000 rpm comes to mind. Simplicity even used one for a bit that spun at full engine rpms. Case only used hydraulics for their rear implements. John Deere is all over the place. Both 2000 and 540 used on JD's on different times. With the popularity of the SCUTs (sub-compact utility tractors) the GT market choices are practically non-existent any more.

Some had belt driven rear implements, like my Allis Chalmers-built Homelite. Nothing wrong with a belt driven unit, either.

As far as parts support, Case (which is now, as has been since 1987) is now Ingersoll) is about the best for support of models built in the 70's and 80's. John Deere recently pulled the plug on parts for machines built before 1993, but there is so many out there that Ebay has about any part imaginable. Simplicity does a good job yet on older stuff, imo.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:07 PM

To be honest, a small subcompact diesel would be the best for the uses you describe.  They do cost more, but you get what you pay for.  Yes, your budget amount would be very helpful in our helping you.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to GTT. Take your time and look around here and at tractors for sale. The Snapper/MFs that you were looking at are very large garden tractors. If they were cheap enough get both and use one as a parts tractor. If you go for smaller tractors you will find attachments more easily. My Allis Chalmers Big Ten and my Bolens 1050 have many attachments.

In most cases the best tractor will be a good tractor with attachments that you are offered a super deal on by a friend or relative. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 09, 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#6 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. Im looking for a older Garden style tractor that can work. I want to be able to tow a cart full of logs, groom a gravel drive, push snow, hook up a rear tiller and/or discer and be able to plant whatever. I can I do this without a pto,right? i would just need a 3 point hitch, im not against a belt driven implement just didnt know what they can handle. would a cub cadet 147 do these things with the mowing deck dropped on it? im looking for a tractor in the 500-1000 range. I would most likely take it apart and restore it in the winter (at least paint it) save from rusting. any input is welcomed . Im just looking to start some land management on my property for wild life, as well as maintain it.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Oh yes, a CC 147 would do just fine for that.  Parts are still available also, and they have a bullet proof transaxle.

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:26 PM

To be honest the MF1855/1655 might not be your best bet. The mowers on them have many parts discontinued including the blades. Tillers are hard to find and expensive, you could blow you budget just on a tiller. The onan engines are expsenive to repair also.

On the up side, there are plenty of great GTs out there just waiting for a good home. Bolens, wheelhorse, cub, airens, case etc..... are all good GTs and will out perform anything you would buy today for less than $10K. If you arent in a hurry to buy a GT, dig around on the forums, ask questions, and cruise craigslist and ebay daily so you can find out whats in your area.

#9 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:34 PM

ok, So basically I just need to find a GT thats in my price range THEN find out if it can do what im after. Im not opposed to any brand, can anyone pitch me a few models that might work well for me ? to use implements I need only a three point hitch correct? this is where im having trouble the most as when I see a garden tractor it has a moving deck under it, basically a riding lawn mower on craigslist, etc and I dont know that "said" tractor could do what im asking.. thanks again for the guidance

#10 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sounds to me like you might be better off witha ford 8N from the early fifties. When you start talking about a garden tractor with a three point hitch the price often exceeds the price of a farm tractor. Joe

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:38 PM

3 point hitch is basically optional, so almost any true GT "can" have a 3pt lift added.  The list would be seemingly endless.  If you find one for sale with a 3 point lift on the back, then let us know what model it is.  Then we can advise you to the pro's and cons of that particular machine.

#12 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:50 PM

olcowhand,  are there some models that fit the bill that I can start looking for? that I could use as I mentioned above?

and yes, I would ask for some guidance if I found something before buying it.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:16 PM

So many variables here.  Manual lift or hydraulic lift preferred?  If not having a rear pto, you can use a 3pt tiller that has it's own engine, but it, along with discs & other attachments can be a bear to lift with manual 3pt lift systems.    I am a hydrostatic fan, and along with the benefits of 

infinite speed control, most hydro equipped tractors have hydraulic lift systems.  

So do you want hydraulic lift?

#14 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sure, im not against it.and if it makes work more enjoyable then im all for it. I just looked up the ford 8N . that seems like it would be to big to trailer back and forth.

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I know I'm biased, but it sounds like, with the exception of the 3-pt hitch, that you are describing a Bolens 1256.  All of the Bolens attachments are PTO driven, and aren't hard to find.

If you are willing to travel a fair distance, there is one on CL in Franklin, OH that would be almost perfect for you since it comes with some of the attachments that you are wanting..

http://cincinnati.cr...3528516713.html

Even the lack of a 3-pt hitch shouldn't be an issue, as the tube frames do have a Sleeve Hitch available.  The Sleeve Hitch can more accurately be called a 1-pt hitch.  There are all sorts of sleeve hitch implements available: Disk, plow, cultivators, etc.

As for parts and attachments, the Bolens tube frame series had more attachments for them than you can probably use, and parts are still readily available at not outrageous prices.

• boyscout862 said thank you