• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • Member No: 21230
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 03:42 PM

When I finished my tractor I filled my gas tank about a 1/3 no leaks.  We had a good snow last night and I got my first shot at plowing.  Need more weight and maybe chaines but thats another story.  I filled the tank for the first time and noticed it leaks.  I have to take it off but believe it leaks at the seam somewhere.  Nothing around the gas cap or petcock. What is the recommended repair?   

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I used RedKote to seal the tank on my TroyBilt tiller. Worked good.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:01 PM

Wade, You have 2 choices.

You can go and buy a 2 part tank repair kit that has an etching liquid and a sealer. You use the etcher first to clean the tank, then you pour in the sealer and make sure you get it everywhere in the tank. It will seal it up and you shouldn't have anymore issues. You must remove the outlet/petcock or it will seal it closed.

The other option is to solder it up, either yourself or a radiator shop can do it for you.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Wade, You have 2 choices.

You can go and buy a 2 part tank repair kit that has an etching liquid and a sealer. You use the etcher first to clean the tank, then you pour in the sealer and make sure you get it everywhere in the tank. It will seal it up and you shouldn't have anymore issues. You must remove the outlet/petcock or it will seal it closed.

The other option is to solder it up, either yourself or a radiator shop can do it for you.

:ditto: If it where me, I would most likely do both, just for good measure.

#5 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:01 PM

If it is only a single leak then I would certainly consider soldering..It's fairly easy to clean the inside of the tank with Dawn soap and hot water, and then solder it up. If you don't clean it well it is a problem to solder it.

I've used the pour in coatings with mixed results..

Yes it did seal the leaks however after a few years I had some issues with it flaking off and plugging the fuel filter. I think it was a combination of the alcohol in the fuel and not keeping the fuel fresh so some moisture crept behind the sealer.

#6 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:24 AM

I think I am gong to have to go with the solder method. The problem with a coating is the petcock is brazed in and I will not be able to pull or isolate it from the coating.   I just don't want to get into chasing the seal once I put heat to it.  Wondering if I should be looking at the heat required for silver soldering or copper sweat. 

#7 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Check out KBS products they have a tank seal kit.I used there 2 part puddy kit and worked out great.I also used there 4 step frame coating process.They have great products check them out.

#8 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 07:21 PM

I pulled the tank and inspected the seams and the new paint showed no cracks and since I have not used the tractor since Saturday no Gas has leaked. Shaking the tank I could get some gas to leak at the cap.  There is a cardboard gasket inside the cap.  Got to see if I can get a new one. Thanks for the help. 

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Metal tanks , I always solder them. Its very easy to do and positive. Just be sure to use a good heavy iron , like the ones for doing sheet metal work. Or an acetalene plumbers torch. I did the tank on my 125 LGT this way. It came out perfect.