• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • Member No: 27851
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:24 AM

well I finally bought a case 444 and I hope I made the right choice I have always wanted one of those big tire case tractors it runs but I went and got a carb kit for it .I also have a very rusty ground connection on the starter generator and every now and then boy she will die out and if you got her reved up at all it sounds like a drive by shootins takin place with all the backfiring going on but I did get to plow snow with it today and I was really impressed with how much power it had it was pushing a full blade at about half throttle like it was a sunday drive I just hope I can get that rusty nut off that post on the starter and clean up the conectors and get the carb off and put the kit init she dont smoke a lick but I am just not familiar with the kohler singles enough to know how dependable they are I am going to try and get the vin tag number tomorrow and figure out what year it is hope you guys dont mind if I pick your brains from time to time as I try and make it pretty again look forward to posting some pics I paid 900.00 for the tractor,a48"blower,a 54"blade and a 48" deck all in nice shape just has not been used alot since 1995 when the last guy got her when he bought his house it was part of the deal well I will get some pics up while she is still a bit ugly then we will see what happens thanks bigdaddy198

• Moosetales, boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 05:06 AM

Welcome to the forum! On rusty bolts, I use a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. I have a link at the bottom of my signature for pic help!

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Welcome to GTT. The big GTs are real nice. Check out the manuals section for free downloads. Work your way through the repairs and maintenance with patience. You have a great tractor and soon you will wonder how you lived without it. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:02 AM

First  Welcome to GTtalk

If you look at the manuals section you will find some great info on the Kohler k341 engines. I think if well cared for they would easily last your lifetime !!

Also if you didn't get manuals for your tractor and implements you should consider downloading those also..

For starters I would suggest changing the hydraulic system oil NOTE it uses motor oil not hydraulic oil.

For the rest of the tractor you should consider tuning up the motor, checking the wiring for loose/bad connections.

The ignition switch seems to go bad after 20 years on these tractors so pay particular attention to the connections  on it.  Ignition switches are not all the same so make sure you get the correct one if you need to replace it.

You picked up a great package deal for a very good price,

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to the fray bigdaddy198!  Glad u found this site.  Great bunch of gt nuts here.  I have a Case 446, and the snowblade is hooked up on it and is ready to go, but so far no snow here in west central Missouri.

[attachment=58663:100_9014.jpg]

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi and welcome to GTtalk bigdaddy! :wave: Sounds you like you have a beast on your hands. I agree with you ive always wanted a big tire case. Post us some pics when you get the cahnce wed love to see it :thumbs:

#7 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Welcome, bigdaddy to GTTalk. You bought into a GREAT family of tractors. Case tractors are awesome. I have a 1971 Case 444 (see my thread here http://gardentractor...se-444-tractor/) with a mower deck, snow blower and rototiller. As Dieselcubmike said, WE WANT PICTURES. I'm a newbie as far as tractors go but the guys and gals on this site have been a great source of information and help.

Post the year and S/N of your tractor and the S/N and model number of your attachments. This will help guide everyone once you start asking specific questions. Glad to have another CASE guy on board.

#8 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:06 PM

I went and checked the vin tag today looks like I got a 1975 model that post I was worried about on the starter generator is a positive cable that comes off the sylenoid the cable needs replacing as does the nuts on the post its actually a bit loose as a matter of fact I tried to start it today and nothing happened at the key then I wiggled that cable at the post and she turned over but the starter generator needs the belt adjusted as the starter was turning but the belt is not quite tight enough but I am going to fire up the heaters and go tinker with it today see if I can figure it out thanks for the welcome to the site my wife could not belive that tractor is a 38 year old tractor its decent someone did put a new seat on it looks good I just have to make a bucket list of what I got going on and get ur done thanks all we will be in touch
  • Moosetales said thank you

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:19 PM

I'm out of breath after reading that.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Yeah! A few periods would be nice!

#11 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'm out of breath after reading that.

What? Are you saying you can't read that without huffing and puffing? :D

Yeah! A few periods would be nice!

Okay Kenny, I want to see this post marked up as if you were an English teacher...don't forget the red ink. :thumbs:

#12 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hey bigdaddy.....don't mind us, we're not critical here we just LOVE having fun at our own and others expense. You'll get use to us real soon. Some of us (me included) just can't help ourselves. :bigrofl:

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 05:06 PM

It's readable, just takes longer to figure out where to start the new sentence. No speed reading on that.

• Moosetales said thank you

#14 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 05:07 PM

All I know is he has a very cool tractor that plenty of folks are wishing that they had one too.  He is just as excited about his Case GT as I am about my Case GT.  Many years ago when I was a lot younger and thinner I saw my first one for sale here locally at a garage sale and thought to myself 'that is a cool tractor I want one'.   I did not have the money the owner wanted for it but I never forgot about it and with a little luck and patience and a couple of gray hairs later and being in the right place at the right time I own one too.

#15 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well years ago I lived about a mile away from a old case dealer that was also a hardware store it was called J&J Hardware and he sold the old big wheeled case tractors and Moto ski snowmobiles and I was a sled head at the time my Dad owned a excavating Co I was running dozers,loader,backhoes,heck I can remember my mom used to ride in our dump trucks with me because I was to young to have a drivers license but back in the late 60's early 70' we were in a different America seems like we may never see those day's again but anyway's the first time I ever seen one of those big tired Case tractors I told my Dad man I think we need one of those for mowing our 2 acre yard he said I would love to do it but your mom would go crazy if I made her give up her push mower we all laughed but I knew then 1 day I was gonna buy me one and by god I did and to tell you the truth the only thing I want to see more than my 444 all redone is my boys they are 9 year old twins out there mowing my 3 acre lawn I kind of think thats what they call going full circle I love it you all have a good one
  • Texas Deere and Horse, HowardsMF155, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks